Wind Noise/Whistle [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wind Noise/Whistle

Pontiac_guy99
01-27-2014, 08:21 PM
So I have been noticing a wind type noise coming from my car.

So the noise has been there ever since i bought the car back in June 2013. First heard it on the highway home.

I sorta sound like its coming from the driver or rear LH door. I made sure it wasnt the mirrors, since i installed twin posts. You can hear it on windy days, and when you get up to about 35-75 mph. Dont be a smart *** and say well its just windy durr hurr hurr. It sounds like a lot louder than just wind against a car. I have already replaced the weather stripping between the windshield and door, and I have already tightened the driver and rear LH door to the point where closing them can be a pita if you have your hands full.

So have any of you experienced this? And is the fix cheap/semi cheap?

plastic_indian
01-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Wind noises can be truly frustrating to find. Cover suspect areas with blue masking tape and go for a drive. If the noise is gone, start removing tape until the noise comes back.

When you pinpoint the noise, check both weatherstrips and the faces they seal against. Well-sealing areas will show a sharp demarcation between clean surfaces and the dust and dirt that builds up in areas exposed to wind and rain. If you keep the jambs clean and waxed, try dusting areas with talcum and look for breaks in the witness marks.

Kayaus
01-28-2014, 05:47 AM
Do you have dual post mirrors? I've heard they can cause a whistling sound if they aren't tight against the car.

Black&Red01
01-28-2014, 07:13 AM
Check you trunk vents they can cause excess noise.

Pontiac_guy99
01-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Do you have dual post mirrors? I've heard they can cause a whistling sound if they aren't tight against the car.
I did install dual posts, but the noise was there when i had the mickeys.

Check you trunk vents they can cause excess noise.

I didnt know Grand Am's had trunk vents? Is there one on both sides? or just the RH side?

TruGreenGAGT
01-28-2014, 07:32 PM
Pass side pull back the carpet and you'll see it.. i covered mime years ago wit a thick sheet of aluminum. My subs made the flaps move and sounded bad

Pontiac_guy99
01-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Well i can rule out the vent, because the noise is coming from the front LH side. I will try the masking tape thing, see how it works.

Ps what does the vent even do?

TruGreenGAGT
01-28-2014, 08:38 PM
I've heard different things

Helps equalize the pressure in car when you shut a door.
Helps vent air out when u drive with windows open
Helps equalize pressure when using AC or Heat.

Which is the main reason not a clue but all vehicles seem to have one so has to be something.