95 Quad 4 check oil light on but oil isnt low [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 95 Quad 4 check oil light on but oil isnt low

1995quad4se
01-31-2014, 04:56 AM
My check oil light is on but i was only about half a quart low. Ive got about 1500miles this chamge and i check it about everyother fill up so once every 2-3 weeks or ~400 miles. Ive had the light on before when the car had a leak and before i caugt it i was ~2 quarts low. Any ideas? Oil pressure or evel sensors failed?

The car will be replaced this summer so tell me its cheap please lol.

sleepyalero
01-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Sounds like a sensor to me.

rocketfast123
01-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Does it ever go off, or on all the time?

Matt95GT
01-31-2014, 02:40 PM
My check oil light is on but i was only about half a quart low. Ive got about 1500miles this chamge and i check it about everyother fill up so once every 2-3 weeks or ~400 miles. Ive had the light on before when the car had a leak and before i caugt it i was ~2 quarts low. Any ideas? Oil pressure or evel sensors failed?

The car will be replaced this summer so tell me its cheap please lol.

The yellow "check oil" lamp is for level, and the sensor in the pan is notorious for failing. You could replace it, but either way - trust only the dipstick.

Does it ever go off, or on all the time?

The logic in the early 4th gen cluster only checks the status of the pan sensor upon startup. In other words, when the oil warms up and the sensor "unsticks" the lamp will still remain on until you shut the car off and restart.

1995quad4se
02-12-2014, 06:46 PM
Ive been meaning to update this and now i sort of have too. The light would randomly come on and off upon startups. But once running the light would just stay on or off it never changed while driving. Like Matt said it only checks during startup. However today while driving the other oil light (it looks like an oil can and its red) Came on. I have been driving for a few miles so the car was in between being warmed up and being cold It had been sitting since early Tuesday morning. I shut everything off so I could hear the motor and it sounded horrible. I pulled over and checked the oil level but the oil level is still good. I limped the car home and the noise soinds like super extreme lifter tap but between that and the rotted muffler i cant tell if there is a defined knock or not but i couldnt hear any while poking around as it idled. All you hear is a loud rapid tick tack but it also almost resembles an exhaust leak But that wouldn't explain the oil lights. I'm so lost and confused the car is only worth maybe 4 or $500 so im thinking its toast.

Matt95GT
02-14-2014, 09:17 AM
The red lamp is oil pressure... and that one should be taken more seriously. Sure, the pressure switches can fail, but if you are hearing valvetrain ruckus you need to stop running it and investigate. You have the non-tach cluster right? I think the idiot lamp pressure switch threshold is like 5 PSI... so yeah, the future of that engine may not be good.

1995quad4se
02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
FML....so that would mean the oil pump is gone basically?

Yeah the non-tach cluster.

1995quad4se
02-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Side note. I drove the car about 3 blocks and the red lamp wasnt on and i remember after it was on and i had to continue driving when it first happened it shut off.

1995quad4se
03-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Little update. My dad was talking to his mechanic and mentioned my car and he said that it could possibly be the harmonic balancer. I completely forgot that I had a random pulley making some slight noise for a few months but I wasn't going to bother looking into it until summer If i decided to keep the car around (remember i was planning to get into a newer car in may anyways). So he might pull the car over to him and let him take a look. I still feel all the noise is lifter not pulley but i haven't ran the car in over a month now and I truly don't care. My dad only wants to look into fixing it because he wants a beater car to get him around. I'll take a look at the pulleys when I get back to the car tomorrow anything I should look for to see if one could be shot?

I've been driving my parents second car since while I search for a new ride. Working 60hrs a week only allows me a few hours a week to look and even less time to go test drive. I've drove a Jetta TDI, G6, Sonata, last gen GP, A4 and a few others but nothing stood out yet. I'm staying under 10k (closer to 6k) as I hope to buy a house within a year but I also don't want a turd to drive around.

3800L67GAM
03-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Little update. My dad was talking to his mechanic and mentioned my car and he said that it could possibly be the harmonic balancer. I completely forgot that I had a random pulley making some slight noise for a few months but I wasn't going to bother looking into it until summer If i decided to keep the car around (remember i was planning to get into a newer car in may anyways). So he might pull the car over to him and let him take a look. I still feel all the noise is lifter not pulley but i haven't ran the car in over a month now and I truly don't care. My dad only wants to look into fixing it because he wants a beater car to get him around. I'll take a look at the pulleys when I get back to the car tomorrow anything I should look for to see if one could be shot?

I've been driving my parents second car since while I search for a new ride. Working 60hrs a week only allows me a few hours a week to look and even less time to go test drive. I've drove a Jetta TDI, G6, Sonata, last gen GP, A4 and a few others but nothing stood out yet. I'm staying under 10k (closer to 6k) as I hope to buy a house within a year but I also don't want a turd to drive around.

Have you looked at any nissans? I've got a maxima and it's awesome but the peddle is very touchy. If you do go with a maxima watch out for the 2004 because that year of that car the trans is prone to fail! I'd say just get a cheap car till you find the one that meets your needs?

1995quad4se
03-15-2014, 04:52 PM
not going to touch a Nissan. I'm sure many will agree there really isn't a need for an explanation for that.