Intermitant Brakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Intermitant Brakes

91lespaul
02-07-2014, 04:18 AM
This is my daughter's car, so I did not experience this first hand.

She called yesterday saying that she had no brakes. Luckily she was able to pull into a garage when it happened. She says that the pedal went to the floor. When the guy at the garage looked at it, and took it for a spin, he said they were fine. He told her that it may have been a compressor (I think she heard that wrong), that reset itself when she turned the car off/on.

Does this make any sense? Could it be computer related? I really don't feel good about here driving the car with the possibility of her brakes going out.

Thanks.

Starglow
02-07-2014, 04:59 AM
The brake system works on fluid pressure and there is no compressor or anything else that would reset electrically when the car is turned off. Even if the ABS system were acting up the brakes should still work. A complete end to end visual and functional brake system inspection should be performed and not just "taking it for a spin".

91lespaul
02-28-2014, 04:20 AM
So we had the brake system inspected and they found no problems. That was on 2/8. While she was coming home yesterday, it happened again.

After turning the car off, and restarting she had brakes again. It's going to the garage today to be looked at again. I know intermittent problems are a PIA, but these are brakes and my daughter.

Master Cylinder?

Starglow
02-28-2014, 05:30 AM
So we had the brake system inspected and they found no problems. That was on 2/8. While she was coming home yesterday, it happened again.

After turning the car off, and restarting she had brakes again. It's going to the garage today to be looked at again. I know intermittent problems are a PIA, but these are brakes and my daughter.

Master Cylinder?

No....the master cylinder either works or it doesn't and there is no intermittent especially with turning the car off/on. I'm suspecting there's an issue with the ABS system at this point since it does have some control of fluid pressure going to the wheels. You may need to find a shop that has a Tech II and can run diagnostics on the ABS system and most smaller repair shops probably won't have that capability so a trip to the dealer may be required for a full diagnostics scan.