Car dies overnight [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car dies overnight

Fireball
02-08-2014, 06:27 PM
So,

My car hasn't been being driven for a few weeks.
My dad has been starting it twice a week.

Now it is always dead; when I mean dead, I mean lights, locks, nothing works, completely dead.

I put the booster cables on and started it immediatley in -15C weather, didn't even wait a minute for the battery to build a charge.

I'm almost never home to spend more time diagnosing this but does anybody have any thoughts?

As quickly/easily as it started without sitting and building a charge, I'm thinking it may not be the battery and something else?

The day after I boosted it, it was completely dead (no lights, etc.) again the next morning.

Thoughts?

Starglow
02-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Take the battery out and have it tested under load at your local auto parts store. Just running the car once after being jump started is not enough to charge the battery....it's probably dead.

greddy2race
02-08-2014, 08:41 PM
A bad battery will not hold a charge. You can jump it, and your car will start and run off the alternator, but as soon as you turn the car off the battery loses its charge. I recommend getting it checked as well, and then getting a new battery.

bricooper78
02-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Just toss a 3rd "I agree" with the battery

Fireball
02-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll take the battery to Canadian Tire when I get back home!

xUnderCoverHoBo
02-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Same happened to me

mfuller
02-10-2014, 08:59 AM
You can jump it, and your car will start and run off the alternator, but as soon as you turn the car off the battery loses its charge. I recommend getting it checked as well, and then getting a new battery.

Are you sure this works? I think all the alternator does is charge the battery, so if the car's running and you unhook the battery, I would expect the car to die almost immediately, since there's no longer any juice to the PCM, ICM, fuel injectors, fuel pump, etc.
I think this trick only works with older carb'd cars.
But I've been wrong before.

rocketfast123
02-10-2014, 05:37 PM
greddy2race is right. But disconnecting the battery when the car is running is not a good ideal, it can cause the alt to go into high charge mode and short out the car's computer. But i still do it like most.

With older cars and "most" newer ones you can unhook the battery and it will not shut off if the alt is good. But some cars will turn off when you disconnect the battery, even with a good alt.

Fact i had to drive my grand am 10miles with no battery at night. I didn't have the a/c ;crap , or radio on, and it did fine.