Camshaft Install [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Install

G.I.Ceo
02-10-2014, 09:51 PM
This is for the people who have done a camshaft install either on a 3100, 3400, or a 3500. I have been thinking of adding a stage 2 turbo camshaft to my build but I don't want to pull the motor. So what I am asking has anyone been successful removing and installing a camshaft without pulling the motor? I'm thinking it's possible but was going to see if anyone has done it and could give me some heads up on what to look out for?

Starglow
02-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't see how you're going to have enough clearance to swap the camshaft with the engine installed.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/Starglow/Pontiac%20Grand%20AM/DSCF0097.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Starglow/media/Pontiac%20Grand%20AM/DSCF0097.jpg.html)

sleepyalero
02-11-2014, 12:06 AM
I thought you could pull it out through the passanger side wheel well area?

G.I.Ceo
02-11-2014, 05:29 AM
I thought you could pull it out through the passanger side wheel well area?

See that's what I was thinking. Pull the mounts and tilt the motor to one side and pull it out that way.

MAC the KNIFE
02-11-2014, 06:17 AM
so you get the car running finally, after about 3 years of building it iirc, and now you want to tear it down again?
you sir, are a car guy lol

AaronGTR
02-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Nope. Not possible. You have to pull the motor.

Some 3800 cars you can do that but their chassis frame rails are different and the cam is lower on their engine because of the different v angle. The 60 degree engine the cam is higher. You can't just remove an engine mount or two and get it to drop low enough. Besides, changing the cam out can be a delicate process and I wouldn't want to risk dinging it on the frame or something else and scratching one of the lobes.

By the time you disconnected enough stuff and dropped everything down (might even have to take out the strut and drop the sub-frame on that side), you'd be better off just pulling the engine.

G.I.Ceo
02-12-2014, 06:51 AM
so you get the car running finally, after about 3 years of building it iirc, and now you want to tear it down again?
you sir, are a car guy lol

Yeah I can't help it. I had to do some work anyways over the winter so I thought now is a good time as any to throw a cam in it. I can have it done in a weekend I just need to find a engine jack and a stand to borrow for the weekend.

3800L67GAM
02-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Yeah I can't help it. I had to do some work anyways over the winter so I thought now is a good time as any to throw a cam in it. I can have it done in a weekend I just need to find a engine jack and a stand to borrow for the weekend.

I have like five engine stands in my garage wanna buy one.