Key ignition problem, I need help on this one [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Key ignition problem, I need help on this one

ItsMeScottG
02-25-2014, 09:35 PM
Yesterday my car started having an issue. When I put my key in the ignition to start my car, the key is loose like it is going to fall out. If I barley pull on the key it falls out. The car continues to run with they key our, ect.

What all is involved with changing the part and does the dealership have to program it to match my original keyset? I'm not sure.

I'm hoping this fix won't cost too much.

sleepyalero
02-25-2014, 10:07 PM
Mine does it too. I dont mind it. Not going to replace it if it still works. I believe if you replace the lock cylinder you get a new key..... its the tumblers or whatever inside that causes the key to be able to pull out. Honestly. I wouldnt even replace it.

Remove your cluster trim and its right there... like 2 or 3 10mm bolts or something like that.

But imo id just leave it alone.

If I remember right. The security thing Is built into the whole thing I cant remember if you can just replace the ignition cylinder it self... but if you cant its like a 110$ part from autozone...

ItsMeScottG
02-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Yeah there's got to be a way to program a new one to work with the original set of keys.

MAC the KNIFE
02-26-2014, 04:54 AM
Yeah there's got to be a way to program a new one to work with the original set of keys.

sleepy says to take out the IP.
i went at it from the radio bezel and it was a major pita.
but i actually did away with it completely. now i've got 2 switches (1 for accesory power, 1 for key-on power) and a push button start. i have a solid security light on my IP but everything works fine.

there is a cable (like a throttle cable) on the back of the ignition cylinder, connected to the shifter. that made it hard to manuever around. but other than the cable, there are 2 large wire harness connectors, and 1 small connector.

and when you change over, if there is a problem, there's a relearn procedure. i think you leave the key on for 10 minutes or something.

rocketfast123
02-26-2014, 07:25 AM
My grand am did that and i loved it. I could start it, pull the key and lock it and go back inside when some peace of mind.

sleepyalero
02-26-2014, 07:55 AM
That too

Smithkid21
02-26-2014, 09:08 AM
Psht. I just look at it as an easy way to start your car, take the key out, and then lock it while it warms up in the morning lol

But yeah, you gotta replace the key/lock cylinder.