GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio Reference Material (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   2002 Monsoon questions, RCA's? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83643)

2002gagt1 07-15-2010 08:37 PM

2002 Monsoon questions, RCA's?
 
I have a 2002 GAGT1 with the monsoon system and my rear speakers are blown...

The factory amp only powers the rear speakers correct? (Pretty sure)

Was wondering if there is a pair of RCA's on the back of the factory deck that the factory amp is hooked up to?

I'm curious if I could just disconnect the factory amp, hook up an aftermarket amp in it's place, and throw a sub in the trunk...? Or if i'd need an aftermarket deck to accomplish this...

I'd rather just throw a ten in the trunk than replace the factory rear 6x9's...

Thanks to whoever helps me out, I appreciate it :)

Tonyyank 07-15-2010 08:55 PM

no RCA's in the back of the deck.....

bricooper78 07-15-2010 08:55 PM

do some searching on here man. that system has been documented to the Nth degree.

honestly, as much as i hate to say it, you'd be better off doing the gmpartsdirect site and ordering stock replacements if everything else is stock.

it is a PITA to redo it, there are only a couple aftermarket sets that are the right resistance and hookup.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news

germaphobicmonk 07-15-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002gagt1 (Post 1131269)
I have a 2002 GAGT1 with the monsoon system and my rear speakers are blown...

The factory amp only powers the rear speakers correct? (Pretty sure)

Was wondering if there is a pair of RCA's on the back of the factory deck that the factory amp is hooked up to?

I'm curious if I could just disconnect the factory amp, hook up an aftermarket amp in it's place, and throw a sub in the trunk...? Or if i'd need an aftermarket deck to accomplish this...

I'd rather just throw a ten in the trunk than replace the factory rear 6x9's...

Thanks to whoever helps me out, I appreciate it :)

The factory HU has a wiring harness plugged into it that powers all of the speakers, amp, etc. There are no RCA's. Also, you can by aftermarket 6x9's but you lose the 'bass' effect given by the stock Monsoon's. Some people take the monsoons out, hook up new speakers and install an amp and a sub for bass. I bought an aftermarket HU, an amp and a sub, and bought new 'plastic monsoon speakers' that are more durable than the old paper ones. I like the new monsoons and IMO they sound better anways and I've had them for two years now.

2002gagt1 07-15-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germaphobicmonk (Post 1131276)
The factory HU has a wiring harness plugged into it that powers all of the speakers, amp, etc. There are no RCA's. Also, you can by aftermarket 6x9's but you lose the 'bass' effect given by the stock Monsoon's. Some people take the monsoons out, hook up new speakers and install an amp and a sub for bass. I bought an aftermarket HU, an amp and a sub, and bought new 'plastic monsoon speakers' that are more durable than the old paper ones. I like the new monsoons and IMO they sound better anways and I've had them for two years now.

are the ones from gmpartsdirect the new plastic ones?

thanks for the replies

germaphobicmonk 07-15-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2002gagt1 (Post 1131288)
are the ones from gmpartsdirect the new plastic ones?

thanks for the replies

Yes. And honestly it would be your best bet when replacing your rear speakers. I do however suggest replacing the front ones with something aftermarket. You can get some great one's for around $80.

bricooper78 07-15-2010 09:18 PM

the direct replacement is just that.

if not, you're either doing some wire loom jumping, or running wires, or dealing with a 4 ohm 1 connection speaker on a 2 ohm 2 connection system...it sucks.

do a search for the word Monsoon and just do some reading. you'll get the idea really quick

germaphobicmonk 07-15-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricooper78 (Post 1131300)
the direct replacement is just that.

if not, you're either doing some wire loom jumping, or running wires, or dealing with a 4 ohm 1 connection speaker on a 2 ohm 2 connection system...it sucks.

do a search for the word Monsoon and just do some reading. you'll get the idea really quick

:applause:

2002gagt1 07-17-2010 02:59 PM

Alright thanks for all the input, so i'm trying to order the factory speakers from gmpartsdirect again and i'm a little confused...

When I just go to the homepage of the site and put in part number #22698418 I get this item.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...stin/gagt2.png

But when I put in my vehicle, 2002 pontiac grand am etc etc, then put in #22698418, I get this item...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...stin/gagt1.png

They both the same part? One says subwoofer, one doesn't, and the prices are different...

Any help on this? lol, thanks

PhantomLover007 07-17-2010 03:08 PM

Replacement rear speakers can befound on E-Bay. That's were I got mine from.

germaphobicmonk 07-17-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomLover007 (Post 1131542)
Replacement rear speakers can befound on E-Bay. That's were I got mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...fAudioQ5fVideo

2002gagt1 07-17-2010 11:01 PM

Thanks, $50 a piece though, seems a little steep with shipping... Either of you know which item is the right one out of the two pictures I posted from gmpartsdirect? I'm guessing if the part number is right, it should be right regaurdless... But the prices are different and descriptions as well.

TimKontek 08-19-2010 03:58 PM

rear speaker
 
For those of you who have taken apart the back of your coupes, is it pretty easy as long as you have the crutchfield master sheet? Its my understanding that you have to take the seatbelt off and pull back the rear pillar and pull off the shroud with the push in clips. After this does the rear deck just pull out under the interior trim with the speaker grilles? What is it just a piece of plywood? I have been delaying this because I dont want to pull apart the whole car even though I'm handy.

Thanks

03gagt 09-21-2010 09:42 AM

Apposed to replacing the rear speakers, I have 2 Pioneer 6x9's in custom boxes, wired to my aftermarket amp. (I prefer these over factory, due to the fact they wont blow as easy.) And along with my 2 12's in a Groundshaker box, it sounds amazing. It's probably worth the money to go with aftermarket.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com