GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   HOW TO's (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   HOW TO: Intstall a 6 speed in a GA GT (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73212)

black00gt1 10-27-2008 05:31 PM

thought you had a s/c on that car

GA2000GTSpeed 10-28-2008 06:31 PM

i have one its just not on there yet. and now i have headers and collecting a few other things... i havent had the time or knowhow to put all of it in.. i have the knowhow now its just finding the time and space.

GrandAmGTTT 05-14-2009 03:39 PM

how much power can this tranny swap handle?

lvemy3100 05-14-2009 03:45 PM

400+

torq455 05-14-2009 03:49 PM

The older 282 5 speed took a lot of abuse at the track and on the street with over 400 HP and 300-350 TQ. I'd certainly think the 6 speed could do the same.

westerndragon 05-14-2009 04:00 PM

I feel sticky after reading this

GrandAmGTTT 05-14-2009 05:28 PM

Good! because once i start my GT35R turbo build on my 3400 i'm prolly gonna swap this tranny in

timka86 05-14-2009 11:21 PM

i have the setup still, if anyone wants to buy it. :)

boost21 05-14-2009 11:34 PM

You have any other parts left tim?

lvemy3100 05-15-2009 06:14 AM

tim give me a call if you still have my # and we can probably work something out ;)

timka86 05-15-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boost21 (Post 1074674)
You have any other parts left tim?

pm'd

Quote:

Originally Posted by lvemy3100 (Post 1074693)
tim give me a call if you still have my # and we can probably work something out ;)

still do, definitely.:)

beelzebob 07-07-2009 12:04 PM

:applause: WOW! :applause: awesome thread. :applause: awesome work! :applause: :cheers: I've been planning on doing a manual swap for a while now and was just getting info together so I can start putting the parts together. I was planning on doing a 5speed but now I will have to reconsider.

Either way this thread has become a truly valuable resource to all of us. I nominate it to become a sticky. :cheers:

:not_worth admin what do you think? :not_worth

:gasilver:

pepe32290 07-09-2009 08:42 PM

awesome ride and conversion. if i had the extra cash i would switch my auto in a heart beat. was just changing the valves and springs the only engine mod you completed and where did you get your LED tail lights my 2000 grand am gt doesnt have those...

psy7 06-19-2010 01:21 PM

this something i want to do to ga gt but where can i find one that goes with 3.4l engine

psy7 07-29-2010 06:57 AM

u know where ashmore or charleston is?

myneedforspeed 07-30-2010 01:59 PM

for the two that decided to post a year later. there is a lot to doing a 5 or 6 speed swap. the search feature helps a lot.

domestikdemon 12-22-2010 11:02 AM

I'm thoroughly impressed! Timka, mads props to you man!

So I'm the guy from GAOC doing the 5 speed swap. SHAME ON ME for just now looking this up (yea, no sh*t, I just now looked at this for the first time). It seems like we did a few things alike. I also had to cut away those little mount tabs below the unibody framerail. And I did the same thing to my fusebox/airbox bracket. Couple interesting little facts I've learned from reading your thread:

You stated that the G6 axles are direct fit in the GA w/ F40 equipped. You stated that the only difference between G6 and GA axles is that the driver side use a male (into trans) inner CV cup, with the pass. side being identical. This is the same correlation of my axles with the Getrag 282. The stock GA pass. side axle was direct fit. For the driver's side, I also needed a male (into trans) inner CV joint. To do this, I purchased an axle for a V6/5 speed Beretta, and took both axles apart, and used the male Beretta CV cup, but the rest of the axles being the stock GA parts. What I have learned from your thread is that I could have saved myself some time by purchasing a G6 axle since it is, literally, the same axle that I "built".

You had it a little easier in the hydraulic clutch department. Luckily GM used the same fitting/line/slave(??) as the factory 5th gen stick models. This made it a plug-and-play for you. I had to custom make my own line to match the master cylinder to the 20 year old external slave of the 282. We drilled the same holes for mounting the clutch master cylinder. Isn't in convenient how the bolt holes were already there?

As for the clutch pedal, well me and you went about that a little differently. I pulled the whole dash, and even dyed it black while I was at it. With the dash removed, I was able to easily change the entire aluminum bracket that the pedal is mounted on. You just took the pedal off the bracket and put it on the existing bracket right?

Looks like that G6 shifter fits pretty good! Usince the shifter, linkage, and trans from a G6 kinda simplified your setup compared to mine. Originally, the shifter/linkage I had hooked up(yes it worked) was from a 97 Cavalier with the 2200 4 banger. The shifter assembly was a direct fit to the 4 studs on the floor of car (I think all GM cars use that, I haven't found a shifter yet that doesn't have the same bolt pattern, yea even an automatic 02 Camaro). The linkage fit the shifter since I pulled them both from the same car, but I did have to fab the holding bracket on the trans. Worked for me on the first try, but I eventually scrapped the 97 Cavi shifter so I can go with 00-05 GA 5 speed factory shifter. All I will need to do is fabricate another bracket to fit trans. So long as I use the GA parts, there won't be any center console/shifter issues, and I can even use the lready existing hole in the firewall for the linkage. I already cut a hole in the drivers side of the "hump" because the 97 Cavi linkage wasn't long enough to go through the passenger side hole. Oh well, that was pointless.

Yea man, good work. I thought people might be interested in a compare/contrast of the 5/6 speed swap, so there it is. Here's the link to my thread. Pics are spread out across all the pages, so if anyone's really interested, you'll need to read the whole thread. It's not even done as of now, but it's getting close.

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=115213

***Oh and I really hope noone has a sh*tfit about me posting a link to GAOC. It's valuable info to the GA community and it's pretty stupid to have any kind of forum fueds...I don't have anything against anybody, and noone else should either.***