GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Go (Performance modifications) (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What is it that leaks from synthetic oil? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77091)

gandolf77 10-09-2008 07:15 PM

What is it that leaks from synthetic oil?

I've always used synthetic blend oil and am thinkin about switching to full synthetic. Here's my situation: my grand am has 100,000+ miles, I recently had the LIM done, so they changed the upper & lower gaskets and they machined the cylinder head as well, so none of that should have gunk built up that would loosen & leak. So, does the gunk build up somewhere else that I would have to worry about it leaking? Or am I in the clear to switch to synthetic. Thanks for the help guys, I just don't know enough about the inside of engines.

GrandAmGT-2008 10-09-2008 07:24 PM

in the clear i do beleive

XtremeGaGt00 10-09-2008 07:25 PM

the only bad thing with synthetic is that it will find all the weak gaskets and start leaking from them, the ones that are starting to dry rot..or will leak in the near future...

GrandAmGT-2008 10-09-2008 07:27 PM

only one left to leak oil would be the oil pan gasket.... but then again he is already running a blend.

XtremeGaGt00 10-09-2008 07:38 PM

oil pan gasket...front main gasket..rear main gasket..oil pump drive gasket...front timing cover gasket...valve seals<--(doubt them will though)

cardude007617 10-09-2008 07:41 PM

so its safer to run semi synthetic than full syn with an older car? i recently made the switch to semi and love it. but hell ill switch back if it does damage

Malaclypse 10-09-2008 07:54 PM

It really shouldn't make a difference because the viscosity of the oils is a standard set that they -must- meet.

That said, synthetic oil is no more thick or thin than conventional. You should be fine to go full synth.

Wubby{Beat 10-10-2008 01:06 AM

what about 0w30 castro syntec made in germany, have heard its fine to run in ours, even all year round, but someone told me on automotiveforums that he wouldnt run it, he has a GA as well and does know fair bit, what are your guys opinions? have 165k km, been running syntec 5w30 since 130k km when I got it

have had no leaks in my time owned, over a yaer now

SSRacer 10-10-2008 07:01 AM

I've been running royal purple full synth for years. Almost 90K now...no leaks or other issues.

blondiez24gt 10-10-2008 10:13 AM

I got My cavalier Z24 from My Aunt when it had 116,000 miles on it. She had always used valvoline. Well I switched to Mobile 1 Full synthetic at 116,000 miles. I'm up to like 15X,XXX. I haven't had a leak since I switched to it.

Metallman56 10-10-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSRacer (Post 1033615)
I've been running royal purple full synth for years. Almost 90K now...no leaks or other issues.

x2

3800SII 10-10-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSRacer (Post 1033615)

Good stuff! If you are on the cheap side like me just throw in 3.5 quarts of standard oil and a bottle of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. The BEST stuff in the world to me.
I use this method on both my Firebird V6 and GrandAM GT. Cars have 169,000 and 79,000 miles respectively.

ABSOLUTELY NO OIL LEAKS ANYWHERE!

Malaclypse 10-10-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wubby{Beat (Post 1033588)
what about 0w30 castro syntec made in germany, have heard its fine to run in ours, even all year round, but someone told me on automotiveforums that he wouldnt run it, he has a GA as well and does know fair bit, what are your guys opinions? have 165k km, been running syntec 5w30 since 130k km when I got it

I've been running that oil exclusively in my Cobalt since 5k miles and I ran it in my Monte for 30k miles or so. Great oil but I've switched back to Mobil conventional for cost reasons... an $18 oil change is nice.

Mike Jung 10-10-2008 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wubby{Beat (Post 1033588)

German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil ?

lol

Never heard of it ;)
Why can't you run it all year long ?
(Doesn't sound like that guy on that automotiveforums knows much about 'GC'.)

I do :D
But it is really better during the summer hotter months though.

PS: Paying $8.99 Cdn per 1L bottle does suck though.
So I stock up during sales.

Wubby{Beat 10-11-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil ?

Never heard of it
Why can't you run it all year long ?
(Doesn't sound like that guy on that automotiveforums knows much about 'GC'.)

I do
But it is really better during the summer hotter months though.

yea its extremely expensive, however per 1L bottles its the same as any other, but who buys 1L bottles lol

where I live however it doesnt get totally cold like it does in terana (used to live there for 3yrs, born there, where my cars from), maybe -10c for a month or so

should I stick with my syntec 5w30 or switch to 0w30 GC at 165k km is the question?

AaronGTR 10-11-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gandolf77 (Post 1033474)
I've always used synthetic blend oil and am thinkin about switching to full synthetic. Here's my situation: my grand am has 100,000+ miles, I recently had the LIM done, so they changed the upper & lower gaskets and they machined the cylinder head as well, so none of that should have gunk built up that would loosen & leak. So, does the gunk build up somewhere else that I would have to worry about it leaking? Or am I in the clear to switch to synthetic. Thanks for the help guys, I just don't know enough about the inside of engines.

I'd like to know what they supposedly machined on the cylinder heads. Why would they do that? And did they take them off the block? You can't machine something properly while it's in the car, plus there's the risk of getting metal shavings in your engine. There wouldn't be any reason to machine anything anyway, it's not going to make it seal better. I'd say the shop that did your work is full of crap.

Mike Jung 10-11-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Jung (Post 1033815)
German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wubby{Beat (Post 1033904)
yea its extremely expensive, however per 1L bottles its the same as any other, but who buys 1L bottles lol

where I live however it doesnt get totally cold like it does in terana (used to live there for 3yrs, born there, where my cars from), maybe -10c for a month or so

should I stick with my syntec 5w30 or switch to 0w30 GC at 165k km is the question?

It is obvious that you haven't bought German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 synthetic motor oil before lol

IT ONLY COMES IN 1L BOTTLES !
(or 1 US Quart bottles in the US.)

Is it worth it to change from US Castrol Syntec 5W-30 to German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 ?
Hell, yeah !

I run all year round.
German Castrol Syntec 0W-30
with a NAPA Gold 1036 (oversized, similar to an AC Delco PF-52 in size) oil filter.

gandolf77 10-11-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronGTR (Post 1033952)
I'd like to know what they supposedly machined on the cylinder heads. Why would they do that? And did they take them off the block? You can't machine something properly while it's in the car, plus there's the risk of getting metal shavings in your engine. There wouldn't be any reason to machine anything anyway, it's not going to make it seal better. I'd say the shop that did your work is full of crap.

When they did my LIM, there was coolant leaking from the head gasket. So they had the cylinder head machined and they replaced the head gasket.

gagt Mechanic 10-11-2008 11:48 PM

the purpose of full syn is that it wont break down as fast. when oil breaks down, gets carbon build up, dirty, it becomes thicker. so if you have oil leaks and switch to syn, they will not leak worse, just longer and more efficient.
as far as 0w30 I would be weary of proper lubrication, and proper oil pressure.

Mike Jung 10-11-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gagt Mechanic (Post 1034097)
...as far as 0w30 I would be weary of proper lubrication, and proper oil pressure.

Please explain ?

No one on BITOG forum has express any concerns in the 6-years of using GC.