GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   HOW TO's (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Supercharging (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84879)

Ceej 01-16-2011 08:50 PM

Supercharging

Go ahead and link if there's already threads on this...couldn't find any.

I want to supercharge my gt. Ive heard that the supercharger from the 3800 will work, but I assume there is better options. Also was wondering what else has to be upgraded on the gt so the engine doesn't blow.

Thanks for any help

speedfreak1 01-16-2011 09:19 PM

3800 SC is a BIG FAIL for the 3400. Read man Read!

Ceej 01-16-2011 09:20 PM

I didn't do any reading, that's why I'm inquiring!

01GPGT 01-16-2011 09:51 PM

search there are threads if that fails google

WidbyJ 01-16-2011 10:14 PM

Readers Digest Condensed version:

Not a practical solution. Parts don't fit, ecm doesn't know how to run with it, etc...

Details are available on this site, just search for 'S/C' or 'supercharger'...

2000 GT Coupe 01-16-2011 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 1147874)

I want to supercharge my gt. Ive heard that the supercharger from the 3800 will work, but I assume there is better options. Also was wondering what else has to be upgraded on the gt so the engine doesn't blow.

Thanks for any help

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedfreak1 (Post 1147875)
3800 SC is a BIG FAIL for the 3400. Read man Read!

Quote:

Originally Posted by WidbyJ (Post 1147884)
Readers Digest Condensed version:

Not a practical solution. Parts don't fit, ecm doesn't know how to run with it, etc...

Details are available on this site, just search for 'S/C' or 'supercharger'...

Maybe Im mistaken here but I dont think he wants to put a 3800 Supercharged engine in his car, he wants to Super Charge his 3400.
However he is curious if the supercharger on a 3800 will fit on his 3400.
Aaron has his supercharged hopefully he will link you to what supercharger he used and other details.

Ceej 01-16-2011 11:21 PM

Yes you are correct. By the looks of it it's kinda expensive though..

01GPGT 01-17-2011 01:56 AM

turbo would be cheaper and actualy fit under the hood

KhellendrosxS 01-17-2011 05:04 AM

The 3800 supercharger is an MP90 the supercharger that was designed for this car was an MP62. There is quite a bit of size difference making it unusable in the position like our cars need. You could cut a hole in your hood and your plenum and bolt it on top but that would look silly.

Turbocharging is the more economical route unless you can find someone selling one of the 12-14 kits that are floating around.

tipnitty 01-17-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 1147874)

Thanks for any help

Yes, if you were to take literally 1 minute to search, you would have found 100 threads asking the same questions.

lightningGA 01-17-2011 10:03 AM

The S/C off of the 3800 will not work. The best one that was made for our GA's was the Eaton Magnacharger M62 one which is no longer in production. There's less than 20 floating around in the community but every once in a while one of those will pop up for sale.

Your other options are:
RSM Vortec supercharger which has many design flaws that if you search for it you will find a list of flaws and possible fixes for it.

Custom turbo setup would be your other option which would be more reliable then the RSM S/C after it's setup and tuned correctly, but you would have to find someone in your area that could build it for you. Unless you manage to find a used setup from a fellow member on here.
DO NOT buy a turbo setup for your GA off of EBAY and assume it will bolt right up with out major fabrication and problems!!!

I will also add.....Do some research in this section and you will find a lot of answers to your questions: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

oldschoolguy 01-17-2011 10:49 AM

You can also swap in a v8

not

01GPGT 01-17-2011 04:49 PM

actualy you can but it would take alot of work and end up pink with a ricer wing

dlineownzu4life 01-17-2011 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01GPGT (Post 1147934)
actualy you can but it would take alot of work and end up pink with a ricer wing

s10 tube frame. :hay:

AaronGTR 01-17-2011 07:09 PM

Oh god....

FYI to the OP, this section is NOT the place to ask questions. This section is for people who have already done something to post a thread telling others how they did it.

No, the supercharger from the 3800 will not work on our engine. Yes, there are other SC's out there but they are rare and they have their own problems. Yes, you could design your own SC setup, but it's difficult and expensive, and if you have to ask here how to do it then you don't have enough knowledge to attempt it. A turbo is a cheaper, easier option... but that isn't that cheap or easy either if you want it done right and don't want to blow your engine up. My advice... start doing some reading instead of asking everyone to do your work for you.

Ceej 01-17-2011 08:03 PM

Right. My bad.

Well thanks to those that actually took the time with info, no thanks to tipnitty (shocker).

I just thought maybe there were members here that had already done it and knew what extra parts was needed, etc. I googled it and there wasn't really much to offer.

It's okay though I've decided I'll just save and buy a car that doesn't suck and is actually worth putting money into.

Nick-G 01-17-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 1147968)
It's okay though I've decided I'll just save and buy a car that doesn't suck and is actually worth putting money into.

Lol in other words a car with large amounts of bolt ons available that require no actual knowledge or effort to install.

speedfreak1 01-17-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick-G (Post 1147979)
Lol in other words a car with large amounts of bolt ons available that require no actual knowledge or effort to install.

ya was going to say that. anyone can bolt on crap to a camaro or stang. why not do a turbo build or even a nice N/A build? you would learn so much and can be proud of what you drive. also not a bad little sleeper for them hondas..lol

SC/T02 01-17-2011 09:05 PM

If you have about $8000 to spend on the car not worth half that, then you can turn your NA ride into a reliable boosted ride. You can get it done for about $3000 and see how long it lasts with these engines which are getting tired. It can be and has been done though. Just get some Nitrous for when you want the extra boost. Normally I am against NOS but these cars did ok with it. I had NOS with a Cry02 kit for cooling in Orlando and never had an issue going through bottle after bottle with a 100-125 Shot. You should be safe on a stock motor with a 75 shot.

eckoxl 01-17-2011 09:45 PM

i just spent $12,000 on my car in the past year, that is worth about $4000 *twitch* , building a beefy engine, trans and made a custom turbo setup for it. just to give you a nice figure.