GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Show (Appearance modifications) (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Big Brake Kits? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86843)

xINVICTUS28x 02-27-2012 09:46 AM

Big Brake Kits?
 
I'm upgrading to 18" rims and wanna put big brakes with it. I thought about doing the corvette brakes. But I wondered if they could be used for the rear brakes too? Or should I go with the kits that SSBC offers? If SSBC, they offer the front and rear brakes, however the rear is a conversations kit to go from drums to disc. My GT already has disk. I guess I just wanna know what the best big brakes are lol

burgett2103 02-27-2012 09:47 AM

pfyc.com sells the baer big brake kit. everything you need comes with it i do believe

unchained_01 02-27-2012 09:51 AM

Do a search on here there is a thread for front and rear part numbers vette ,camaro and impala rotors and calipers work

xINVICTUS28x 02-27-2012 09:55 AM

Is there any performance difference between baer/SSBC or the corvette that anyone is aware of?

unchained_01 02-27-2012 09:57 AM

not that i am aware of but you best bet is to ask Matt fuller he has had a few different setups and could give you the best advise IMO

xINVICTUS28x 02-27-2012 10:04 AM

Alright thanks guys. I might just do the Baer out of convenience lol

mfuller 02-27-2012 01:04 PM

I have a used Baer Racing Track+ front big brake setup for sale if you're interested.
13" 2-piece rotors and twin-piston calipers.

GrandAmGTCoupe 02-27-2012 01:26 PM

Read the second post on this thread. http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33676

tipnitty 02-27-2012 02:09 PM

Unless you could get the Bear's used, I wouldn't buy them. Would be cheaper and just as effective to do F-body brakes. How fast do you intend on going?

street_fire 02-27-2012 02:20 PM

i believe that u gotta have nothin smaller then 18's to run the corvette brakes. Ill be doin the camaro brakes in the front and the grand prix GTX brakes in the rear...

AaronGTR 02-27-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tipnitty (Post 1172667)
Unless you could get the Bear's used, I wouldn't buy them. Would be cheaper and just as effective to do F-body brakes. How fast do you intend on going?

Wrong. The Baer kit is far better than a base f-body brake upgrade. The F-body kit is more cost effective and sufficient for most people's uses. The Baer kit has more stopping power and less weight though, and is better for performance or track use.

Also if anyone's interested the Baer kit holds up to track use much better than the SSBC front kit as well. I've used both.

I believe Matt was working on a project to fit a newer corvette full brake kit to the front (C6 maybe?), which is supposed to be better still than the Baer kit. Not sure if he finished it yet?

tipnitty 02-27-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronGTR (Post 1172692)
Wrong. The Baer kit is far better than a base f-body brake upgrade.

For a mostly stock car, they seem to be completely over kill. If he wants to shell out all that just to fill out his wheels, go for it.

xINVICTUS28x 02-27-2012 09:25 PM

Well I do plan on doing future engine mods. Maybe swapping out for a 3500 and stuff like that. Figure I might as well throw out a few more $$ and get the best now instead of getting it later? Just my opinion I guess lol

caraudiodave 02-28-2012 08:49 AM

the baer kit uses C4 corvette calipers, similar to those also used on older mustang cobras. The "corvette" conversion uses C5 calipers which are better and cheaper than the baer kit.

The f-body calipers are nto as good as the corvette ones but much better than stock n-body calipers.

the rears on the corvette are not much better than what you already have. They are small single piston calipers, and therefore are not worth upgrading. Just upgrade the rotors and pads to match the front.

Let me know if you need any more advise as I was one of the first to do the corvette brake conversions. I also upgraded my camaro brakes to corvette calipers and I am working on upgrading my Equinox brakes with corvette calipers.

AaronGTR 02-28-2012 04:03 PM

Most people who do the conversion use impala rotors with either F-body or corvette calipers. The C5 calipers are better than the Baer calipers yes, but the Baer rotors are larger, thicker, and lighter than the impala rotors since they are two piece. They would give more stopping torque and fade resistance, which is why I say the Baer kit is better than the typical f-body/vette upgrade. You can't use the vetter rotors unless you have them re-drilled for the proper bolt pattern. Otherwise a complete C5 front conversion would be the way to go. Or better yet a C6. :D

caraudiodave 02-29-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronGTR (Post 1172746)
Most people who do the conversion use impala rotors with either F-body or corvette calipers. The C5 calipers are better than the Baer calipers yes, but the Baer rotors are larger, thicker, and lighter than the impala rotors since they are two piece. They would give more stopping torque and fade resistance, which is why I say the Baer kit is better than the typical f-body/vette upgrade. You can't use the vetter rotors unless you have them re-drilled for the proper bolt pattern. Otherwise a complete C5 front conversion would be the way to go. Or better yet a C6. :D

correction: Vette rotors have the same bolt pattern as impala/f-body/n-body. The problem is that the vette rotors are 1" bigger diameter than impala/camaro rotors.

You could always get baer rotors to go with f-body or vette calipers. I dont see a need for this as I dont think theres a grand am out there that would benefit from the upgrade. drilled/slotted rotors with corvette calipers stop so well as it is, way more than adequate. I also suggest braided brake lines.

I spoke with the owner of rotorsonline.com (a sponsor here) to confirm that he is still offering his upgrade kit. It is only f-body calipers, but comes with the brakets needed, rotors, calipers and pads. He can also get the braided lines, and is pretty cheap.

to be honest, some people have had issues with him regarding shipping time and parts availability, but he has straightened things out and is doing much better.

HOYS 02-29-2012 10:43 AM

One note: A good bit of F-Body rotors have enough slop in the bolt pattern so that they fit a FWD bolt pattern.

KillNThrill24 02-29-2012 12:14 PM

only a grand for the baer kit? thats actually a hell of a lot cheaper than i thought it would be. i read somewhere brakes for like $3k! but i dont remember if it was for the GA or not... looks like a worth it upgrade. especially if your going to be putting $1000 headers and like $700 exhaust not to mention the other engine mods. id do it if it were you

AaronGTR 02-29-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caraudiodave (Post 1172762)
correction: Vette rotors have the same bolt pattern as impala/f-body/n-body. The problem is that the vette rotors are 1" bigger diameter than impala/camaro rotors.


Really?! That's amazing. How did you find that out? :rolleyes:


http://www.corvette-web-central.com/...ttewheels.html

Since the brake rotors go over the same bolts as the wheels, tell me how they use a 4.75" bolt circle (app 5 x 120mm) wheel on the C5 if it's rotors will work on a 5x115 grand am?


Quote:

Originally Posted by KillNThrill24 (Post 1172768)
only a grand for the baer kit? thats actually a hell of a lot cheaper than i thought it would be. i read somewhere brakes for like $3k! but i dont remember if it was for the GA or not... looks like a worth it upgrade. especially if your going to be putting $1000 headers and like $700 exhaust not to mention the other engine mods. id do it if it were you

Thats pretty standard price for the grand am kit. Other cars have different kits with different designs, larger/better calipers etc, that may make them more expensive. The base Baer kit for our car has always been $1000 iirc, and the track+ kit with the two piece rotors was $1300.

caraudiodave 02-29-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronGTR (Post 1172783)
Really?! That's amazing. How did you find that out? :rolleyes:


http://www.corvette-web-central.com/...ttewheels.html

Since the brake rotors go over the same bolts as the wheels, tell me how they use a 4.75" bolt circle (app 5 x 120mm) wheel on the C5 if it's rotors will work on a 5x115 grand am?

I dont know what to tell you, i put C5 rotors and wheels on my F-body, and I put F-body rotors on a grand am. all bolt holes lined up perfectly, and its actually common to put corvette wheels on F-bodys.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com