GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Go (Performance modifications) (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best oil? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86973)

xINVICTUS28x 03-22-2012 09:34 AM

Best oil?

I'm about to change my oil and was wondering your guys opinions on what oil to use. I have a 2001 GT with around 165K miles. I was thinking about using Castrol GTX High Mileage. Any other suggestions?

sleepyalero 03-22-2012 09:45 AM

i use Mobil 1 High Mileage Fully Synthetic oil and a Pennzoil oil filter. and change my oil every 3,000.

zukiracer19 03-22-2012 09:46 AM

I run Mobile 1 5w30 regularly every 3,000 miles... I do notice knock though on cold starts with it though -_-

xINVICTUS28x 03-22-2012 09:52 AM

What's your opinions on K&N oil filters?

BJPbrandon2448 03-22-2012 10:25 AM

Penzoil Ultra Synthetic... with a Generic Fram oil filter, I thought about buying a kn oil filter but then I just thought it was a waste of money?

xINVICTUS28x 03-22-2012 10:36 AM

I kinda think for 6 or 7 extra bucks why not? And is synthetic oil good to use in our engine? I rea somewhere that in some engines need certain advantages from conventional oil that synthetic oil can't provide?

xINVICTUS28x 03-22-2012 10:37 AM

Never mind I just read in the manual that we can use synthetic haha prolly should resort to that handy lil book a lil more

zukiracer19 03-22-2012 10:49 AM

DO NOT USE FRAM OIL FILTERS, I could go find a thread about people bitching about the inside collapsing and the inside are made pretty much of cardboard... get a k&n, thats what i use... you can get them at walmart or autozone

xINVICTUS28x 03-22-2012 11:00 AM

I'm prolly getting a K&N oil filter and might try Castrol edge. Only downside to that is that it isn't a "high mileage" formula. But I've heard lots of good stuff about it

shiwnath 03-22-2012 11:19 AM

I'm doing an oil change this weekend when I install my ported UIM and 65mm tb.. I'm going with quaker state high mileage 5w30 with a quaker state oil filter. I've used the regular quaker state oil in previous times and have had no problems with it but im switching to the higher mileage stuff because just like many others my car is up there in the higher mileage.

KillNThrill24 03-22-2012 12:48 PM

i use Mobil 1 synthetic and whatever filter is on sale lol probably start using K&N myself tho i want this thing to last. iv heard synthetic is pointless on a high mileage engine since its already gunked up from regular oil, but i rebuilt mine so shes all nice n clean :)

BJPbrandon2448 03-22-2012 01:23 PM

I work @ wal-mart, and I know for a fact that we dont carry kn oil filters... or any product by them so nice try zuki! And Ive used fram oil filters for atleast 20 oil changes and never once had a problem with them... Here's what that issue comes down to since wal-mart carry's fram filters you have every tom, ****, and harry purchasing one attempting to do their first oil changes when truth is they dont know what the fack they are doing!

zukiracer19 03-22-2012 02:21 PM

I can take a pic of K & N oil filters next time I go... But sorry to hear you work at walmart lol

rocketfast123 03-22-2012 02:54 PM

What ever is on special at the parts house with a good filter. This time it was autozone: 5w30 Castrol gtx synthetic blend with a K&n filter for $24.

I go by the oil change light. And use an over size filter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillNThrill24 (Post 1173881)
i use Mobil 1 synthetic and whatever filter is on sale lol probably start using K&N myself tho i want this thing to last. iv heard synthetic is pointless on a high mileage engine since its already gunked up from regular oil, but i rebuilt mine so shes all nice n clean :)

Well if the oil was changed on time, that wont be a problem. With my car @ 123k it burns oil when i run synthetic or simi-synthetic. A little blue smoke on WOT. But i never did have that problem on my 2.4 grand am @ 120k. And I was hard on it, but kelp the oil changed. The inside was super clean when i did the timing crap. It run dyno oil up till 100k

caraudiodave 03-22-2012 04:52 PM

I use Boshe oil filter and castrol full synthetic. I used mobil 1 full syn on the camaro but it started to knock a little in cold weather. Ive heard people complain about mobil 1. I also used royal purple ful synthetic but then they came out with a blend, and the full synthetic became hard to find.

If you can find it, AMSOIL is supposed to be the best, but its costly.

afterdeath07 03-22-2012 05:13 PM

ive been using the v's next gen and it seems to work well for me, and its friendly to the environment. ive got around 100k on the current motor

AaronGTR 03-22-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xINVICTUS28x (Post 1173862)
I'm about to change my oil and was wondering your guys opinions on what oil to use. I have a 2001 GT with around 165K miles. I was thinking about using Castrol GTX High Mileage. Any other suggestions?

On a car with 165k miles that is a daily driver, it's not going to make a ton of difference. If it was a freshly rebuilt motor and/or running significantly higher HP than stock, then you might see some benefit from running a full synthetic like Mobil1 or Castrol Syntec and a premium filter like Mobil1 or K&N. Otherwise it's really a waste of money. As long as you don't use the cheapest conventional oil you can find, you'll be ok. A good mid-grade oil would serve you well. Fram filters suck, but a medium priced filter like NAPA gold or Purolator PureONE will have good enough filtration and not too much restriction. A mid-priced synthetic blend or high mileage oil would work well for you too. My old 97 grand prix had almost 180k miles and I ran Castrol GTX high mileage in it. I had the oil lab tested at 4k miles on the oil and they said I could run it another 2-3k, so I ran it for 7k between changes and only changed my oil/filter twice a year. Saves a lot of money, and less wasted oil is better for the environment. ;) As long as your engine is mechanically sound, the oil should last that long.

slw240sx 03-22-2012 05:51 PM

on our 520hp 2.0L drift car motor that we built and track we have been using O'reilly store brand oil and store brand filters. Same thing i ran on my 8-9K reving motor since break in. never had a problem with them showing wear. But we do tend to change our oil more often then daily drivers would. On a daily driver i would honestly buy what ever oil change special they have running at the time.

as for synthetics We never put synthetic in a fresh motor. They will not break in correctly. We normally run straight weight rotella 40wt oil for break in and dyno sessions on fresh engines. the only time i can even see the need to justify a specialty oil is when the manufactures weight is not available in other shelf oils. like a ford when it calls for 5w20 and the customer is a stickler for keeping it exact.

Nick-G 03-22-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJPbrandon2448 (Post 1173887)
I work @ wal-mart, and I know for a fact that we dont carry kn oil filters... or any product by them so nice try zuki! And Ive used fram oil filters for atleast 20 oil changes and never once had a problem with them... Here's what that issue comes down to since wal-mart carry's fram filters you have every tom, ****, and harry purchasing one attempting to do their first oil changes when truth is they dont know what the fack they are doing!

Fram is about as bad as it gets. :amraam:

BJPbrandon2448 03-22-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick-G (Post 1173909)
Fram is about as bad as it gets. :amraam:

whatever, I honestly dont care its a grand am with 100,000 miles on it... It would be just a complete waste of money to throw 50$ into an oil change that will just need changed again 4000 miles down the road... its not a performance car, If I had a motor like aaron's I would definately go with the best which is amsoil and kn filter! And Ive had no problems with a fram filter... so until I do, I wont consider changing... And stfu. zuki Yes I work @wal-mart but I actually make 11.50 an hour and I bet thats more than you make at the local male strip shack... and Atleast Im honest were's your ****ing EVO? let me guess you wrecked it and didnt have any insurance to cover the repairs, so you took the clunker trade in and got yourself a grand am? Cool story bro.