GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Show (Appearance modifications) (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New interior LED lights *help* (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87888)

Chazzels 08-13-2012 03:48 PM

New interior LED lights *help*

I bought red LED strips that run at 12v so they hook up to any fuse in the care easily and nicely. I would like them to operate under the same principle as the dome interior light in my car (only current interior light in my car) door open = light on, door closed = light off.

I have the wiring diagram for this light but i can not find where the power to the dome light comes from. ive been searching my junction block and no luck.

any one successfully done this? cant find any results for this.

ive spent the last 8 hours in the garage. got a few more ideas. please if you have anything i would love to know.

*edit* // these lights are going in the footwells of the driver and passenger sides

TDavis 08-13-2012 03:56 PM

Should've just got some red LEDs from superbrightleds.com that replace the stock dome light. Would of been easier.

Thread explaining stock bulb to LED conversions:

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=137077

Chazzels 08-13-2012 04:00 PM

im putting them in the foot well. next I am going to update my dome lights to some LEDs. i would use the wiring for the lights that are usually in the footwells on most cars but mine doesn't have any and from all signs i see there never was any in place or the wiring for them.

AaronGTR 08-13-2012 10:37 PM

There are lights in the foot well. Yours might be burned out or something but they are there. All grand ams have them. They are mounted in the kick panel up under the dash board. Removed the panels and you should see them and the bulb housing and wiring for them. You should be able to tap into that wiring to get the on/off operation you want. You just can't hook too many lights up to the same wire because the wire gauge isn't that big and you don't want to overload the circuit. Luckily LED's are fairly low wattage draw though.

handon 08-15-2012 02:12 AM

I'm having the same problem as the OP.. My GA has no footwell lights whatsoever - burned out or not, they are nonexistent. I've looked many times and nothing :/ Which wires could I tap into before the headliner that would give me the same function as the main dome without having to tear it down? I'm really lusting after some footwell lights and would be very grateful to anyone who could help me :D

msmith1956 08-15-2012 06:45 AM

I have a 2004 GA and mine has no footwell lights either. I had heard that GM did some de-contenting on these cars around '02 or '03, and I guess that was one of the features they removed, along with the glovebox lock, and traction control as standard equipment.

TDavis 08-15-2012 07:21 AM

Are you sure they aren't just burnt out?

TruGreenGAGT 08-15-2012 08:11 AM

only the 99-00 GA's had the footwell lighting.....01-05 won't have them.

TDavis 08-15-2012 10:19 AM

That's odd, I see no reason to take the foot lighting out of the newer models.

Chazzels 08-15-2012 10:31 AM

well regardless there is one solution that i have been working on, theres just one problem.. i cant find one white wire.

In my haynes wiring diagram the white wire to the dome lamp comes from the left side junction box (next to the fuse box on the driver side). ive metered all the white wires in there. none of the have a 12v current when the doors are open. so it must run somewhere else.

it is also possible it comes out of the BCM unit but since there are so many wires coming out of there its hard to tell. and i have not been able to find any complete listing of what each BCM connection does.

But if anyone has tracked the line that wires form the dome light follow we could just tap into that as a trigger.

Chazzels 08-15-2012 11:41 AM

These are the new lights they are controlled by a switch right under my head unit. currently wired into the same fuse as my turning lamps.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7107/7...e2db153c2a.jpg
grandamgt01 by Chazzels, on Flickr Pentax // K5 18-55mm f3.5

TDavis 08-15-2012 11:58 AM

What type of CD deck is that?

Thats the type I'd like to get since its red and matches the interior a little bit.

Also, is that deck a 2 DIN, 1.5, or 1?

Chazzels 08-15-2012 12:15 PM

It's a Pioneer DEH-1300mp. I believe my brother in law installed it for me when I bought the car. Plays cd great and has a audio line in. RCA out. lots of eq control

Highly recommend it your looking for something cheaper but still want a nicer quality

No complaints.. Yet

And I think 1.5 din

TruGreenGAGT 08-15-2012 02:26 PM

remove the pass side A-pillar I believe the wires from the dome run down to the BCM

xUnderCoverHoBo 08-16-2012 12:05 AM

Tanner i would suggest a jvc r331 head unit. Not expensive at all and u can have everything on it be whatever color you want red is stock on it

AaronGTR 08-16-2012 09:28 PM

That's really weird. I've never heard of a grand am without footwell lights. That's a pretty standard feature on all cars these days, so it does make much sense for GM to take them out. Talk about cheap! lol

TruGreenGAGT 08-16-2012 10:04 PM

they took out the glove box lock on the later yrs.....every penny adds up over thousands of vehicles

TDavis 08-16-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xUnderCoverHoBo (Post 1184937)
Tanner i would suggest a jvc r331 head unit. Not expensive at all and u can have everything on it be whatever color you want red is stock on it

Yeah that one doesn't look too bad either. I have time to think though as this is not until way later in the future, I'm fine with stock atm.

msmith1956 08-17-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruGreenGAGT (Post 1184990)
they took out the glove box lock on the later yrs.....every penny adds up over thousands of vehicles

Yeah, they also made ABS, and ETC options as well. My '04 has neither of those.

AaronGTR 08-17-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruGreenGAGT (Post 1184990)

Yeah, every penny adds up... but they also add up into negative brand perception over cheapness and low quality. That's one of the problems Bob Lutz had dealing with the engineers and the "bean counters" at GM. Trying to convince them that spending the money on the details is what changes customers perceptions of their cars. It pays off in media reviews, and ultimately in sales and custom retention too. If you want to move cars, people have to think they are getting good value relative to the competition. Competition that includes things like foot well lighting, glove box locks, and especially ABS and traction control, as standard. These are all things that customers EXPECT in cars, even back in 2000. Now in 2012 you could never even sell a car without those things. Even economy cars have them now, and ABS/stability control are government mandated now.