GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q&A (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Need OEM Ride height measurement (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88002)

jlcargill 08-30-2012 07:48 PM

Need OEM Ride height measurement

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what stock ride height is for front - I want to know if my front is sagging or if I need new struts/springs.

Also can some recommend a good replacement for struts (kyb, monroe?)

Thanks!

sleepyalero 08-30-2012 07:49 PM

kyb struts GR2's or AGX's, with monroe seats i wanna call it... (i forget what its called)

Shade2012 08-31-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 1185720)
kyb struts GR2's or AGX's, with monroe seats i wanna call it... (i forget what its called)

Strut mounts. But as far as struts he already said the best ones.

sleepyalero 08-31-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade2012 (Post 1185740)
Strut mounts. But as far as struts he already said the best ones.

thank you. lol it was on tip of tounge, just couldnt think of it.

TDavis 08-31-2012 11:43 AM

I would recommend KYB GR2s. Don't get AGX's unless you plan on AutoCrossing.

Also take a side pic of your car so we can see, I'm sure we can give info on if its sagging or not.

jlcargill 09-01-2012 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TDavis (Post 1185753)
I would recommend KYB GR2s. Don't get AGX's unless you plan on AutoCrossing.

Also take a side pic of your car so we can see, I'm sure we can give info on if its sagging or not.

This may be misleading because my driveway is sloped - no one knows oem hide measurement? Maybe some one can measure from ground to front wheel well and give me a number?

[ChaosweaveR] 09-01-2012 07:30 AM

Not even close to sagging. You're still a 4x4.

What's the mileage on the struts? Monroes are garbage. Get either KYB GR2's or Sachs. May as well nab some Eibachs, nice lowering springs that offer just a hair above a 1.5" drop and improve the handling quite nicely.

TDavis 09-01-2012 07:55 AM

Yea your fine, no sag at all. I swear though the 4 door GAs sit lower stock then the 2 doors.

Here's mine stock:

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/2087/ga1el.jpg

And here's it lowered:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9...0625183323.jpg

jlcargill 09-01-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] (Post 1185780)
Not even close to sagging. You're still a 4x4.

What's the mileage on the struts? Monroes are garbage. Get either KYB GR2's or Sachs. May as well nab some Eibachs, nice lowering springs that offer just a hair above a 1.5" drop and improve the handling quite nicely.

OK thanks!

I have 150,000 miles on all original struts and springs! They have to be due?

AaronGTR 09-01-2012 11:03 AM

FYI guys you can't even get the KYB AGX's anymore. They aren't available anywhere and no idea if they plan on producing them again.

The KYB GR2's are a good replacement strut. There is nothing wrong with the monroe's either, although I prefer the KYB's. The KYB strut mounts aren't very good though. I'd go with OEM or monroe for those. The easiest thing to do would be get some monroe quick struts. They are a brand new spring/strut/mount already pre-assembled and ready to install. Don't need a spring compressor or air gun then. You just take the old ones out and put the new ones in. You probably don't really need new springs, but if you are doing the work yourself this is the easiest route to take.

[ChaosweaveR] 09-01-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcargill (Post 1185783)
OK thanks!

I have 150,000 miles on all original struts and springs! They have to be due?

They're long overdue. Replace all four.

Aaron's suggestion of quick struts does make life a lot easier, but they are more expensive. The strut mounts should be replaced as well.

jlcargill 09-01-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] (Post 1185787)
They're long overdue. Replace all four.

Aaron's suggestion of quick struts does make life a lot easier, but they are more expensive. The strut mounts should be replaced as well.

Thanks for eveyones help! Do new strut mounts come with the quick strut assembly or is that extra?

Still can not believe no one knows the ride height spec - lol!

[ChaosweaveR] 09-01-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlcargill (Post 1185798)
Thanks for eveyones help! Do new strut mounts come with the quick strut assembly or is that extra?

Still can not believe no one knows the ride height spec - lol!

They're always separate.

Nobody knows mainly because nobody cares. Honestly.

AaronGTR 09-03-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] (Post 1185799)
They're always separate.

Nobody knows mainly because nobody cares. Honestly.

Actually no. The quick struts come completely assembled, which means they have a strut mount on top. You can't assemble them without it. The nut on the strut shaft that holds it all together is on top of the strut mount. ;)

So if you buy the quick struts you don't need to buy mounts. Like I said, it's just unbolt and swap out the old ones for the new ones, then go get an alignment.

jlcargill 09-03-2012 08:12 PM

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronGTR (Post 1185887)
Actually no. The quick struts come completely assembled, which means they have a strut mount on top. You can't assemble them without it. The nut on the strut shaft that holds it all together is on top of the strut mount. ;)

So if you buy the quick struts you don't need to buy mounts. Like I said, it's just unbolt and swap out the old ones for the new ones, then go get an alignment.

Thanks! I will probably just go with the Monroe then.

[ChaosweaveR] 09-03-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronGTR (Post 1185887)

Didn't know that, never used them before honestly. I do know they're pricey.

unchained_01 09-05-2012 07:13 AM

I guess i got lucky i got a set of AGX struts , I had to wait 2 months for them

AaronGTR 09-05-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unchained_01 (Post 1186037)
I guess i got lucky i got a set of AGX struts , I had to wait 2 months for them

How long ago did you buy them? Last I knew every place I looked that used to carry them didn't have them anymore. They are still listed on KYB's catalog, but no one could find them for sale through any distributors.

If they have them again I might have to buy a set.