GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   Car Audio, Video & Security (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Monsoon amp powers 2 DVC 4ohm subwoofers fine (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88787)

aggresiveAM 11-02-2012 01:20 PM

Monsoon amp powers 2 DVC 4ohm subwoofers fine

I bought a kole audio trax1 4000D mono subwoofer amp earlier in the year and a week ago it decided to quit on me. After riding for a couple of days with no bass in my car which was supplied by two Hifonics Brutus BRZ12D4's i decided to exxperiment. I found out from other people on the internet that the monsoon amp was 2 ohm on the rear speakers and in a bi amp hookup. So i thought why not wire the subs up in 2 ohms each series and connect the subwoofer wire pair for each side to one subwoofer. Suprise!! The subs hit harder and clearer than ever before. No dimming lights, anymore monsoon amp gets warm at most. These subs are 600 watts rms each, i dont know what type of power the monsoon amp puts out but u know what i think now lol....

jordan1111 11-02-2012 01:31 PM

jordan1111

Yeah, that's right!!!! I saw this owner link the audio system w/monsoon and it works! So, this will save owners money and cut out the middle man.

ShowMeHooters 11-02-2012 05:33 PM

Can you explain more ? Did u run both 6x9s harnes to 1 then to the sub?

Metallman56 11-02-2012 05:46 PM

yeah something isnt right here. the stock monsoon amp which is smaller then my kicker 200x2 amp hits harder on 3 subs then a 4000 watt class d amp that is huge? that doesnt seem right. i may have to expirment with this a little bit, just to see if it will even push 1 of my subs.

Metallman56 11-02-2012 05:50 PM

so let me get this straight. we have 2 people both from detroit who have not only both done this "mod" but post one right after the other? something fishy is going on here.

aggresiveAM 11-02-2012 06:11 PM

nothing fishy dude, i can provide pictures of the setup if you guys would like?

aggresiveAM 11-02-2012 06:12 PM

I know the monsoon amp is small and its hard to believe that its pushing 2 subs rated at 1200 watts rms combined. However, I couldnt believe it either but it is what is and the subs have been going strong for 2 a two hour drive

ShowMeHooters 11-02-2012 06:14 PM

Right it makes no sense if it even pushes a sub I bet it plays vocals through it ... Makes no sense my kicker 6x9s and 6 1/2 fabricated the doors not the door panels just the doors ...distort if I don't have bass on -6 mid -4 and treb +2

aggresiveAM 11-02-2012 06:18 PM

You can hook up the amp to these specific sub combinations
1 2ohm dual voice coil= attach left pair of subwoofer speaker terminals from monsoon 6x9 harness to one set of terminals on sub and then the same for the other side
or
2 4ohm dual voice coil subs= wire each sub independently in series to make a 2ohm load
connect all + from sub to positive on monsoon sub wire harness and all -'s to negative monsoon sub harness and do the same setup for the second sub on the other pair of monsoon sub speaker terminals

aggresiveAM 11-02-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowMeHooters (Post 1192285)
Right it makes no sense if it even pushes a sub I bet it plays vocals through it ... Makes no sense my kicker 6x9s and 6 1/2 fabricated the doors not the door panels just the doors ...distort if I don't have bass on -6 mid -4 and treb +2

the monsoon amp is driving my subs so hard that i had to turn down the headunit bass to -5 or it was over driving my subs. But even then there was no distortion just pure stupid bass

its crazy and i really dont want to say that the monsoon is putting out 1000 watts rms:crazy:

aggresiveAM 11-02-2012 06:23 PM

ill post pictures as soon as i can

kzulfic 11-02-2012 06:40 PM

No, it's probably just putting out more power than your over rated low grade amp. and you with out a doubt have vocals coming through your sub. The amp is connected by front and rear outputs as where you sub amp would be connected to the sub outputs. Heres a link for a bench test on that amp. Not surprised by what happend.http://www.caraudio.com/forums/ampli...1-7000d-2.html

jordan1111 11-02-2012 07:02 PM

jordan1111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metallman56 (Post 1192268)
so let me get this straight. we have 2 people both from detroit who have not only both done this "mod" but post one right after the other? something fishy is going on here.

That's why they called it "Monsoon" for a reason! A diamond in the rough baby!!! Look out for the YouTube video coming soon! We will shooting a demonstration with an explanation on how everyone with the "Monsoon" amp can eliminate using aftermarket amplifiers. Coming Real Soon! We will message you and others when the video is posted! Until then.....

jordan1111 11-02-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzulfic (Post 1192292)
No, it's probably just putting out more power than your over rated low grade amp. and you with out a doubt have vocals coming through your sub. The amp is connected by front and rear outputs as where you sub amp would be connected to the sub outputs. Heres a link for a bench test on that amp. Not surprised by what happend.http://www.caraudio.com/forums/ampli...1-7000d-2.html

Be on the look out for the YouTube video demonstration from 2 guys from Detroit! Coming real soon! We will message you when the video is posted.

bricooper78 11-02-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzulfic (Post 1192292)

winner

ShowMeHooters 11-02-2012 07:12 PM

I would like to see proof today if possible

bricooper78 11-02-2012 07:22 PM

you can wire parallel and destroy the amp over time, and it'll be puking its guts out and run for however long, at a pretty decent clip, and then it will blow up, and you have no sound.

you've got a 65w amp pushing a sub that is doing just fine with 65 watts, unfiltered, which means you're not taking the 10hz up to 50hz that you had with an amp, you're now taking more "full range" from 40hz(give or take a bit) up to 400hz, higher frequency is easier to make loud, and therefore the subs are now picking up midrange, and you have giant 6" speakers in your trunk.

that in a nutshell, is what's going on here

kzulfic 11-02-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShowMeHooters (Post 1192305)
I would like to see proof today if possible

Me too. I would love hear it in person but should be comical just to see.

kzulfic 11-02-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricooper78 (Post 1192308)
you can wire parallel and destroy the amp over time, and it'll be puking its guts out and run for however long, at a pretty decent clip, and then it will blow up, and you have no sound.

you've got a 65w amp pushing a sub that is doing just fine with 65 watts, unfiltered, which means you're not taking the 10hz up to 50hz that you had with an amp, you're now taking more "full range" from 40hz(give or take a bit) up to 400hz, higher frequency is easier to make loud, and therefore the subs are now picking up midrange, and you have giant 6" speakers in your trunk.

that in a nutshell, is what's going on here

Exactly!don't think something like that will be understood though. Dat y i tryed too keap it elemntiry.

bricooper78 11-02-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzulfic (Post 1192310)
Exactly!don't think something like that will be understood though. Dat y i tryed too keap it elemntiry.

:applause: +1 internetz for you sir lol