GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q&A (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   LIM Gasket set part numbers? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89456)

eBandit 04-23-2013 03:15 PM

LIM Gasket set part numbers?

Should I buy AC Delco, FelPro or what? Anyone have part numbers for updated gasket design for the LIM?

I searched but they didnt come up on any posts I went through. I want to make sure I order or buy local the right (newer style) gaskets cause I might do it this weekend sometime. Mine has been very slowly leaking external for awhile now, time to fix it.

Thanks

bricooper78 04-23-2013 03:44 PM

I believe everyone likes the FelPro kit

eBandit 04-23-2013 04:18 PM

Thanks. Do you know if there is an updated part number or is there only one?

I wasn't sure if felpro had an old part number too that I don't want. I know Main Auto parts locally asked when i checked prices if I wanted the updated design or original. But I wanted to confirm on GrandAmGT.com since so many of you are very familiar with it.

I was going to check ebay prices as well is one reason I was looking for part numbers. I recently did a head gasket on truck and didnt want to order from fleabay but recently I also ordered a Camry water pump kit with timing belt, gaskets, crank/cam seals, oil pump etc. and all fit very nice.

bricooper78 04-23-2013 04:37 PM

I don't have firsthand experience with it, so I'll let one of the guys who've done it (Aaaaheeem, AaronGTR!!! Paging Dr Aaron) give you that, I have seen the threads a dozen times, but don't remember part numbers off my noggin..

bricooper78 04-23-2013 04:40 PM

But, I did find the How-To thread:

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...=felpro+gasket

That should give you a picture filled walk through, and there actually might be a discussion in there about parts and part numbers.. maybe.

sleepyalero 04-23-2013 05:35 PM

Ill get you a part number for the one I have, ac delco or updated felpros are both good IMO. The felpros are 79.99 at autozone.

Part # for metal felpro's.

MS 98003 T

You can go to Antozone with that part number and tell em you want that.

HOYS 04-23-2013 11:45 PM

I like the ACDelcos...but that is really just me. I've done a bunch of cars with them and had no issues. They are really cheap on Rockauto too..

sleepyalero 04-24-2013 01:18 AM

my opinion, it doesnt matter both are great, if you do the LIM change, you will need LIM, UIM, and valve cover gaskets. the felpro kit with the part number i posted above comes with everything you need. so its not a terribly bad deal.

you will also need a new thermostat, and a torque wrench to tq bolts down to correct specs.

i just did it a few weeks ago, about 7 hours of my time (first time) not counting the smoke breaks haha with smoke breaks it was about a 9 hour job.

theres a how-tp on here i followed for the job and it was a great help. if you would like the link to it i can post it, just let me know.

eBandit 04-24-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

sleepyalero 04-24-2013 12:46 PM

no problem.

eBandit 04-26-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 1211864)
no problem.

And thanks for the part number too. I will probably order online Autozone or advanced auto and pickup in store so I get 20% off.

* found code for Advanced auto (TRT41) to get $40 off $100. (TRT30 gets 30% off, but have not checked that one).

The set is $67.73 on Amazon, but with the $40 off percentage for each item wise, I paid $53.12 plus tax from Advanced.

sleepyalero 04-26-2013 03:19 PM

very nice, good lookin out.

eBandit 04-26-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepyalero (Post 1212165)
very nice, good lookin out.

:thumbs:

I got the Autolite Professional series plug wires at the same time, discount made them $20.84 plus they have a $10 rebate to make them $10.84.

I see some GM kits have the manifold bolts and parts stores list the bolts as needed changed, but the manual just says to seal them. I doubt the are like head bolts, so I can reuse them correct? Do I need sealer on the heads and threads or blue locktite on threads? The LIM instructions on here and manual say pipe thread sealant, is that the teflon gooey gray stuff? Must use that and not black or gray RTV etc.?

Which RTV is best for the ridge between the heads? Black or Gray? I have both but plenty of Black.

I get to use the digital angle function on my digital torque wrench I got recently, yeh! :applause: Have not got to use that on it yet since it is so new. Didn't realize I needed that wrench on this car (its 1/2" 15-150 lbs., so will be torquing with one of my smaller clicker wrenches) until I was reading the how-to and see the 30 degree rotation of bolts after torquing rocker arms.

sleepyalero 04-27-2013 04:04 AM

The felpro kit comes with black rtv. I used that and haven't had a problem yet. (Going on a little over a month installed now)

As for the bolts. I reused mine, lock tite will do the trick.

I also had a nice new ac delco digital torque wrench. Thing is nice. And used that for the job,

eBandit 04-27-2013 09:38 AM

Thanks.

HOYS 04-27-2013 01:36 PM

Just PM'd you but if you want help with this let me know, I'm probably just a hop skip and a jump from where you are.

eBandit 04-28-2013 11:17 AM

;) Thanks!

eBandit 05-17-2013 10:30 AM

Hope I don't have any leaks, lol. Buts its done. been checking oil for several days now and have not seen anything extra in it. Had just a little light pitting on the head where the LIM went but didnt seem bad at all.

Thanks to Colin for the advice on checking my lifters out while have the LIM off. Every single one was froze up and acting like solid lifters. Had to get a heated ultrasonic cleaner and run several hot cycles with cleaner and it took lots of prying with a pushrod (got one at Main Auto for $2 to use) and some tapping upside down onto a rubber mallet to get them apart.

If I had to do it again though, I would order new lifters, lol. The first few came apart with 3 cleaning cycles and prying the sleeve out with a pushrod and they were not bad, but several were a PITA to get the sleeve out.

I should have though taken the temp sensor out and made sure the threads were sealed because I think I have to go back and do that (had other things to do off and on while doing this car so I guess it slipped my mind) cause it looks like it is very lightly leaking there.

;)