GrandAmGT.com Forum

GrandAmGT.com Forum (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/index.php)
-   Help Me Decide (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Converting SE to GT (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90381)

MECHANICwannaBE 03-17-2014 11:59 PM

Converting SE to GT
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hey guys long time no see. I have been doing work on my car. I have a 00 grand am se 2.4.... converting this into a GT style. only because i have too much into a rebuilt engine and honestly i hate the 3.4 engines. Ideas need... I also want to add high flow injectors followed by more performance parts. Please share ideas.

PS: Getting brand new paint in a couple of months... Color ideas... Leaning toward black or gun metal silver.

MECHANICwannaBE 03-18-2014 12:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
add

MECHANICwannaBE 03-18-2014 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry this is under the hood...

nothing too special custom intake...

99ga 03-18-2014 12:31 AM

I've always though having an SE converted into a GT with a 4 cylinder its a FAIL lol dont get me wrong just my 02cents, if you hate LA1, swapping an Lx9 is worth the timE & effort. As far as Exterior, your gonna need to get the GT lower rocker panels and door moldings, nice job on the Sct hood, might wanna get an sct spoiler as well, btw i have one FS.

sleepyalero 03-18-2014 01:10 AM

3400 and 3500 are basically the same engine...


As for you not liking the 3400.. why? Its got so much more power then the 2.4. I hated driving my buddies 2.4 alero. So slow you basically have to gun it to meet up with traffic merging onto highway (70 mph) my 3400 is cake and takes no effort.

Pontiac_guy99 03-18-2014 02:28 PM

Haha much more progress than me...

But if you want it to be almost a genuine gt, then you will need:

GT front and rear bumpers,
rocker panels (below the door),
door moldings,
black window piece,
quad exhaust,
gt seats (at least the donut headrests),
rear disc brakes,
Gt wheels,
Obviously the 3.4 engine (idk why u dont like it... but to each their own)
Gt transmission (will only work with the 3.4 I think)
Gt speedometer
Different suspension? (Not sure on this one)

That is all off the top of my head... Not trying to rain on your parade, but that's everything about gt's that I know.

ItsMeScottG 03-18-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac_guy99 (Post 1243414)
Haha much more progress than me...

But if you want it to be almost a genuine gt, then you will need:

GT front and rear bumpers,
rocker panels (below the door),
door moldings,
black window piece,
quad exhaust,
gt seats (at least the donut headrests),
rear disc brakes,
Gt wheels,
Obviously the 3.4 engine (idk why u dont like it... but to each their own)
Gt transmission (will only work with the 3.4 I think)
Gt speedometer
Different suspension? (Not sure on this one)

That is all off the top of my head... Not trying to rain on your parade, but that's everything about gt's that I know.

Suspension is the same on a GT and an SE.

The headrest was an option on these cars, my SE came with the the leather headrest with the hole in the center.

Ajaxus 03-18-2014 06:23 PM

You forgot the RAM AIR!!

[ChaosweaveR] 03-18-2014 06:39 PM

Try the better car mod.

Pontiac_guy99 03-18-2014 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajaxus (Post 1243440)
You forgot the RAM AIR!!

It's useless anyways... Right? Just buy a cold air intake.


And Scott - I didn't know that se's came with leather. I thought it was only loaded gt's.

bricooper78 03-18-2014 06:49 PM

The transmission is geared differently in the GT also, but with a 4 banger that's a moot point.

Aren't the sway bars larger by a bit in the GT? Thought that was a suspension difference

AleroB888 03-18-2014 06:50 PM

Back-seat backs fold down from the trunk?

[ChaosweaveR] 03-18-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricooper78 (Post 1243447)
The transmission is geared differently in the GT also, but with a 4 banger that's a moot point.

Aren't the sway bars larger by a bit in the GT? Thought that was a suspension difference

The suspension is the same, the GT has bigger sway bars.

Yes, the 4T45E has a less aggressive final drive in SE models, whether you have the LA1, LD9 or L61.

bricooper78 03-18-2014 06:56 PM

it all bolts together, it's part of the suspension IMO lol nit-picky



Oh oh OHOHOHOH!!! the tails don't have stripes on the GT :P

Pontiac_guy99 03-18-2014 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleroB888 (Post 1243448)
Back-seat backs fold down from the trunk?

Nope my SE has the 60/40 split bench.

sleepyalero 03-18-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] (Post 1243445)
Try the better car mod.

How about no.

ItsMeScottG 03-18-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] (Post 1243451)
The suspension is the same, the GT has bigger sway bars.

Yes, the 4T45E has a less aggressive final drive in SE models, whether you have the LA1, LD9 or L61.

Actually GT's and SE's have same thickness sways. GM changed them over the years though from my understanding.

ItsMeScottG 03-18-2014 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac_guy99 (Post 1243446)
It's useless anyways... Right? Just buy a cold air intake.


And Scott - I didn't know that se's came with leather. I thought it was only loaded gt's.

Mines an SE2. It's got all the premium options.

Ajaxus 03-19-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontiac_guy99 (Post 1243446)
It's useless anyways... Right? Just buy a cold air intake.


And Scott - I didn't know that se's came with leather. I thought it was only loaded gt's.

A rocker panel is useless too..jeeze.

AaronGTR 03-19-2014 11:08 AM

To clear up a little confusion... the V6 SE's and GT's had the same suspension. At least they have the same springs, struts, and sway bars. I had my dad look up the part numbers for me and they were the same. The 4 cyl SE's had different suspension... or different sway bars at least, I forget if the springs were the same or not (it was a long time ago I looked it up). You can always check your RPO codes under the spare tire cover to be sure. If it has FE3 in there it's the sport suspension, and likely has the same parts.

All SE's had a 3.15 final drive ratio compared to the 3.29 in the GT. There was all the obvious body parts, the different muffler (one outlet on the SE vs two on GT), and the SE had a lower mph on the speedometer and a lower speed on the governor as well. GT has black window trim vs chrome on the SE. Both V6 SE and GT had rear disc brakes and your 2.4 SE has drums, so you'd need to do a rear brake conversion (not that hard).

In the end though, the final piece is the engine, and the VIN number (which you can't change) that still will say it's an SE no matter what, so why bother? I'd sell it and buy a real GT. Better car, better engine, less work.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com