View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #189
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Baaaaaah!!! Ok so things didn't work out quite as planned.

Went to pick up the engine today and it was ready. Was checking out the bill and didn't see the charge for the engine balance. The guy tells me his machinist told him they had to have the pistons and rods separated in order to do that, and with the press fit wrist pins in our pistons, they normally crack the piston when taking them out. I do remember seeing some of my old stock pistons that got replaced where cracked all along the pin boss when I got them back. It sucks that they can press the pins in... but can't press them out without damaging them.

So I don't get balanced internals. That really sucks, but I certainly didn't want to have to buy new pistons again since they only have 2400 miles on them and are basically brand new. And it wasn't in my budget. I kinda wish the guy had called me and let me know though, instead of just leaving it for a surprise. I would say oh well maybe next time... but I don't know if there's going to be a next time. I'm seriously tired of spending money on this engine and don't know if I'll ever have the time/patience/money/desire to have this thing rebuilt again.

I know I could build the internals stronger and I could get more HP out of this engine... but I just don't see the point with a FWD automatic. The amount it would cost me to get forged pistons, new cam, etc and rebuild it, then possibly another trans swap and/or manual swap, and not even knowing how durable it would be or how well it would work... well, that money would go a long way towards getting me something RWD with a V8 and a manual already in it. If I can get this engine running well, and maybe put an alky kit on it and make the SC work without blowing it up again, I'm calling it done.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote