View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #195
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, I think someone else mentioned that too... that they thought I should have replaced the rod bolts. But I had never heard of that before, and I was following the factory manual. It specifically tells you to replace the heads bolts when changing heads. It doesn't say anything about replacing the rod bolts, so I re-used them and torqued to spec. I don't have a stretch gauge, and they aren't cheap, so I wasn't going to buy one when I only planned on using it once. Oh well.... this was my first time building a rotating assembly, so it was a learning experience. I still don't know exactly why the bearings failed, but I learned a few things in the process.

Oh and btw, the machine shop I used has the best reputation in the area, and they definitely aren't cheap, so I don't think it was any problems with their workmanship. They are very professional, and everything they did looked top notch. Really, the only complaint I could have about them is I wished they had communicated with me more. IE, I asked them what I wanted done, and when some problems arose that they couldn't do something, they did something else without calling me first. But they knew what they were doing and the quality of their work was great.

Last edited by AaronGTR; 05-17-2012 at 03:42 PM.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote