View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #198
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
well, it doesn't really matter if it's a high revving engine or not. If it was fully balanced I could rev it higher. The biggest reason I wanted it was for the smoothness and the extra torque though. They said they've balanced engines and seen as much as 20% torque increase. Granted mine is a newer engine with tighter tolerances so it probably wouldn't be that much, but they told me if it was balanced I could rev it to 7k rpm and it would pick up some HP and torque without any loss of reliability.

I just wanted to do it since I had the money and had the engine apart again. They did weigh each piston and rod together and said they were within a gram of each other, so that's not bad. When they do a full balance though there's more to it that just making the weight equal. They do something with balancing the rods at the same point from one end to the other and make the pistons equal weight, then they balance the crank on a computerized machine that accounts for the rod/piston weight and what the crank counter weights should be. Sorta like a wheel/tire balancing machine, how they can tell you exactly how much weight to add and where.

I just was interested in getting it done and seeing what the actual results would be, but like I said they couldn't take the pistons off without damaging them, so it couldn't be done. I wasn't going to buy new pistons after 2400 miles.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote