View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I'm with Mark. Start out with the basic tests first. Cranking compression and leak down test should be the first thing you do to tell the cylinders and heads are in good condition. IE rings are good/proper gap, valves are sealing properly, gaskets aren't leaking, etc. Any one of those could cause misfires. Then look at possible valve train issues, ie cam profile is correct, lifters are working properly, cam timed properly, etc.

I would also verify the oil pressure with a good mechanical gauge, and make sure you're using the correct pump. Should NOT be using a HV pump on a non-racing engine without proper clearances. The fact it was blowing out gaskets tells me one of two things. Either the oil pressure is wrong, or there's something upstream blocking flow and/or the pressure bypass isn't working properly. If it was, and the pressure's correct, there's no reason it should ever blow the filter gasket.

Also, there's no reason to do multiple short oil changes. One oil change after 500-1000 miles of mixed load driving should be all that's needed. A properly built modern engine does not wear in very much, so there is nothing in the oil to get rid of. Basically only the rings should wear in and seat in the cylinders, and everything else should be machined to proper clearances so they are separated by a film of oil and never touch. If they do, you have major problems.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote