Old 12-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #5
lrgregory2010
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Logan
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
lrgregory2010 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
A block test may not always return accurate results. Head gasket failures are rare *unless* the engine has overheated as a result of another cooling system fault; a 3400 subjected to multiple overheat events is definitely prone. Does the cooling system pass a pressure test? Has the cooling system been properly purged of air with the brass bleed on the crossover tube?
I haven't done a pressure test on the system yet, I probably should. As for burping the system, I have to do it almost every time that I drive.

Quote:
Has any part of the cooling system exhibited evidence of oil or other contamination (may signify a blockage)?
All fluids are where they belong and are not mixing.

Quote:
Have the fans been confirmed to run?
I have confirmed the fans running.

Quote:
With the engine at normal OT and the heat on max, what is the temperature differential betwixt the two heater hoses?
I don't have an accurate temperature to give but by feel the top is a bit hotter than the lower hose, but not by much.

Quote:
Is the pressure cap faulty (or the degas bottle damaged), allowing a 0 pressure system to boil off coolant, causing both the overheat and the poor heater performance?
The surge tank isn't damaged, and the cap is good from what I can tell, but I wont know for sure until I pressure test it.
lrgregory2010 is offline   Reply With Quote