Thread: Best oil?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by gectek View Post
Oil change intervals to me should be 3k max honestly. I do not care how good the oil is. It may not cause any undo wear and tear, but afaik the base oil never changes unless they have magically found some diff base crude to use, which is highly unlikely.

It's a lot more complicated than that. There are a lot of chemical processes now that change the properties of the oil. There are different additives they use that change the hot and cold viscosity. But really the most important thing is... the oil doesn't magically wear out and stop working at 3k miles. The only reason to change it is if it gets too dirty with contaminants or wear metals, or if the acid neutralizing additives get used up. If either one of those happens, then the engine starts wearing faster. Only way to tell that is with a lab test. I used Castrol GTX high mileage in the 180k mile grand prix and a lab test revealed I could run it for 7k miles with a good safety margin. If you are using good oil and a good filter, and your engine is healthy, then there is no reason to change the oil earlier than needed.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote