GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-29-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
Amidath
The Next Best Thing

AKA: Kyle
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
Amidath Gettin' there
Exclamation HID's and DRL's Questions.

Hello all,

So I have a 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe and I am thinking about installing a HID Conversion Kit. Depending how how big of a pain in the butt it is going to be will depend on whether I am going to use my factory enclosures ( boo ) or my Anzo Projector w/ Halo head lights.

So I have been reading all over to just disable to DRL's because it fries the HID Ballast. I get that - though the question is why? Do the grand am DRL circuits simply give out a lower voltage than 12v when the DRL's are on? Or is it something that I read on a Mazda forum that all DRL's do which is that the DRL circuit sends out a 12v+ current like this - - - - - - - - which is pulsed - causing the filament in standard halogen bulbs to only get half as bright as normal instead of 12v+ ------------ or even 6v+ -------------. Since it is pulsed it causes the relay in the ballast to go on and off like nuts and usually results in the HID's flickering because they are going on and off so fast.

I just want to know which, because that same Mazda forum gave an interesting fix to turn the 12v+ - - - - - - - into 12v+ ------------- by adding a capacitor to the DRL circuit on each head lamp before the ballast so that way the pulse goes into the capacitor but it stores enough juice that when the ballast pulls the power back out it can pull it at a constant rate - thus preventing the ballast from frying. But if that is just a Mazda thing - or just not a Pontiac thing, which is what I am trying to figure out, that would determine whether I am able to keep my DRL's ( as I kinda like having them there ) and get HID's.

And on a side note I will also explain how my current after market lights are set up since I don't know if they all operate the same or not.

The original headlights, as we know, had on 9007 hi/lo bulb. the new head lights have two bulbs in each. One Phillips H9 65W and one Sylvania OSRAM H3 55W bulb. The H3 is the lo and the H9 is the hi, but both come on dimmed with the DRL's are on. Then when the head lights are on the H3's go brighter and the H9's turn off. When I switch to my hi's the H3's turn off completely and the H9's then turn on.

So how I hypothesize it to work with HID's is I would leave the H9 as it is and just get ballasts for the H3 ( as I hear H9 is non existent/hard to find ) and either disable the DRL's - leaving only the H3 HID's to go on when the head lights are turned on lo and the H9's to go on when on hi leaving their opposites off.
-OR-
capping the DRL's if possible leaving the H9's the way they are turning on dimmed with the DRL's and the HID's turning on at full power. Then when the head lights turn on lo the H9's power off and the HID's stay as is, and when the hi's are turned on the HID's would power off and the H9's power on.

So .... yeah any information on my above book would be appreciated so I can figure out the best and easiest way to go about things as I really want to make the jump to HID's.

~ Kyle
Amidath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2015 Tahoe
DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
Do NOT use your factory housings. You need to use projectors if you want to use HIDs.

01 GASE - R.I.P.
SLP exhaust, CAI, Intrax springs, 17" American Eagle 025s
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
Injen CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, 17" American Eagle 025's
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
S&S headers, S&S cat, SLP exhaust, CAI, MPR tune, WS6 hood, H&R springs, 18" American Eagle 077s/18" XXR 006s
03 Saab 9-3 2.0T - bye Felicia
JZW tune, BSR intake, H&R springs/KYB struts, 17" Saab Klingons
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
ryanbgb22
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 11 z71, 02 z28
ryanbgb22 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to ryanbgb22
The DRL's are on when the headlights are not on. The DRL's run off less voltage; not enough to run the ballast. So your options are either always put your lights on when using the car, or to disable drl's. As long as you're not afraid of snipping a wire in the harness, its no big deal at all.
ryanbgb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
99blackgagt
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jared
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
99blackgagt Gettin' there
Is it true that you cannot use the factory headlights or the black headlights with clear corners and put HID's in them? on customgrandam.com they sell a 9007 - 35 watt - HID system that fits directly into the stock grand am headlights...AND DO I STILL HAVE TO DISABLE THE DRL'S when i purchase that HID kit? (purchasing soon)
99blackgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blackgagt View Post
Is it true that you cannot use the factory headlights or the black headlights with clear corners and put HID's in them? on customgrandam.com they sell a 9007 - 35 watt - HID system that fits directly into the stock grand am headlights...AND DO I STILL HAVE TO DISABLE THE DRL'S when i purchase that HID kit? (purchasing soon)
You don't want to put HIDs into non-projector housings. They are not designed to properly focus the light pattern. If you want to run HIDs, get HID projectors.

01 GASE - R.I.P.
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
S&S headers, S&S cat, SLP exhaust, CAI, MPR tune, WS6 hood, H&R springs, 18" American Eagle 077s/18" XXR 006s
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Amidath
The Next Best Thing

Amidath Gettin' there
What he said
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
Amidath
The Next Best Thing

Amidath Gettin' there
OH, and no you don't HAVE to disable your DRL's, BUT you have to then purchase a relay kit that powers the HID's direct from your battery when the DRL's turn on.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
99blackgagt
GAGT - Member

ok well, I am looking at customgrandam.com and they sell this kit.... http://www.customgrandam.com/hid.htm

and it shows that it goes into the factory housings, plug and play system. In other words, you don't need projectors for these if im not mistaken?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #9
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

Quote:
ok well, I am looking at customgrandam.com and they sell this kit.... http://www.customgrandam.com/hid.htm

and it shows that it goes into the factory housings, plug and play system. In other words, you don't need projectors for these if im not mistaken?
Will they turn on? Yes.
Will they look like ass and blind oncoming traffic? Yes.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

01 GASE - R.I.P.
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
Old 06-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
RPO3
BayBeee

AKA: Ron
Vehicle: 2004 Grand AM GT Sedan
RPO3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to RPO3
You dont need projectors, but...
No projectors = scattered light, which causes a glare.
Projectors = projected light which is controlled
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
99blackgagt
GAGT - Member

thanks for the kind post...it doesnt look like ass, or why would people make HID kits for every bulb type/headlight type? From H1,H3,H7, to 9003-9007 bulbs, there are HID kits....I have seen them in many vehicles even straight off the lot that project the light fine and look good. I have projectors right now from ebay and they suck ass with a 6000K H1 kit, there is no way to adjust the actual lense so you never know what you are going to get. The only way to adjust the beam of light is to use the adjusters that move the whole headlight...
Old 07-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

Quote:
thanks for the kind post...it doesnt look like ass, or why would people make HID kits for every bulb type/headlight type? From H1,H3,H7, to 9003-9007 bulbs, there are HID kits....I have seen them in many vehicles even straight off the lot that project the light fine and look good. I have projectors right now from ebay and they suck ass with a 6000K H1 kit, there is no way to adjust the actual lense so you never know what you are going to get. The only way to adjust the beam of light is to use the adjusters that move the whole headlight...
It looks terrible, especially compared to HID projectors. When you try them both, you'll really see the difference.

They sell them for every bulb type because people will buy them.

01 GASE - R.I.P.
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
Old 07-08-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
99blackgagt
GAGT - Member

well, i have the new 8000k HID 9007 kit installed in the black and clear housing headlights and it looks amazing, light output is great and the new headlights are easily adjustable....also did DRL disable and ALC bypass which was cake! i guess buying a GOOD HID kit for 9007 bulbs isnt such a bad idea....many compliments only one week into having them installed
Old 07-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

Quote:
well, i have the new 8000k HID 9007 kit installed in the black and clear housing headlights and it looks amazing, light output is great and the new headlights are easily adjustable....also did DRL disable and ALC bypass which was cake! i guess buying a GOOD HID kit for 9007 bulbs isnt such a bad idea....many compliments only one week into having them installed
Take a picture with the beam shining against a wall, and you'll see how terrible the glare is. Better yet, drive towards your car with its lights on, see how well you can see.

01 GASE - R.I.P.
03 Mazda6 - bye Felicia
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
06 Honda CR-V - current
100% stock
15 Chevy Tahoe - current
100% stock
Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #15
SikMindz
BOLD Yellow

AKA: D
Vehicle: 2003 BMW E39
SikMindz has made plenty of valid pointsSikMindz has made plenty of valid points
You can buy electric "superchargers" for any make and model of car too off eBay. I think you should add this to your list of mods with your new cool blue headlights.
SikMindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballast, current, drl, hid, install