GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 05-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Amidath
The Next Best Thing

AKA: Kyle
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
Amidath Gettin' there
Question Seafoamed twice and little to no smoke?

Hello everyone

So I just got done seafoaming my car ( for the second time ) ( 33/33/33 gas/oil/intake ) and I found it pretty odd that I didn't get much to any smoke when doing so. I used two different vacuum hoses when sending it into the manifold.

I have included a picture of my engine ( yes I know it is dirty - I live in Montana and have to drive a dirt road almost daily )

Hose 1 is the first vacuum line I sent it up and it didn't smoke at all and the engine didn't have any troubles at all taking it. Didn't want to start after, but that was to be expected

Second time I used hose number 2 in the picture and the engine did want to stall, as to be expected and made me feel better vs hose 1, and smoked a bit when pulling it in, but then only smoked very little after letting it sit.

I sucked the SeaFoam into the car with the engine warm, and let it sit in the intake for 10 min each time.

Is there a better vacuum line to be using? Thanks

~ Kyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H12.jpg (201.3 KB, 92 views)
Amidath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
Vash6563
GAGT - Member

AKA: Cody
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am SE1
Vash6563 Gettin' there
See my picture below. I use that and it sucks it in just fine. Also 1/3 of a can really isn't that much, try sucking all of a can into the engine. Also, it's hard to do alone because you either have to stall it with seafoam on purpose or lose most of it by the time you turn off the key.

H12.jpg
Vash6563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Amidath
The Next Best Thing

Amidath Gettin' there
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash6563 View Post
See my picture below. I use that and it sucks it in just fine. Also 1/3 of a can really isn't that much, try sucking all of a can into the engine. Also, it's hard to do alone because you either have to stall it with seafoam on purpose or lose most of it by the time you turn off the key.

Attachment 28701
Hey thanks, I will try that one. And I do have my friend in the car keeping the engine going so I can focus on getting the SF into the car - sorry should have mentioned that above.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
stillriza
does not compute

AKA: Reds
Vehicle: 00110110101
stillriza a trusted member
Send a message via MSN to stillriza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash6563 View Post

Attachment 28701
Do you remove the pcv valve first when using that hose? And doing this with seafoam helps how exactly (purpose)?

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is started. - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file"
stillriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
zukiracer19
BoOsTiN'

AKA: slograndam
Vehicle: ev0m0de
zukiracer19 Still kinda new, but learning
my car smoked for like total of like 5 seconds than stopped smoking...

also measure it, put it in a open plastic up or something and rev it up with your butterfly throttle and use your other to let it suck it through, I've heard stories of people hydrolocking there motor if you let it stall
zukiracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
XtremeGaGt00
converted to ls1 :)

AKA: Jason
Vehicle: 00gagt 99gtp 99t/a
XtremeGaGt00 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to XtremeGaGt00
if you used hose 1 to suck the engine cleaner into..id do an oil change asap..you just "inhaled" (for lack of a better term) the cleaner into your engine oil and have now contaminated it. hose 1 goes to the rear valve cover and will not clean the intake tracts like your trying to do.
99 Trans Am6.0 lq4,studded,t76 turbo, turbo cam, 3.5in exhaust,#80's,dual walbros,ford 9in rear, adj, tq arm, adj, control arms,160 stat,ls6 intake,555r's 11.8 @122.<<--nitrous only times
XtremeGaGt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 AM   #7
K WeRd
Whatchu watchin HOES

AKA: Kevin
Vehicle: 1998 S10
K WeRd Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to K WeRd
I used the vacuum line coming off the brake booster or right next to it. Forgot where exactly it's located.

Red 98 S10 Stepside ZQ8 - Dropped 4", 20" rims, 35% front 5% rear tint, Flowmaster 40, (2) Boston 10", (2) Alpine Mrp-m500, CAI, 3 level train horn with air management system, 5000k HID Headlights
K WeRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #8
remiljr
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ron
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe
remiljr Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by K WeRd View Post
I used the vacuum line coming off the brake booster or right next to it. Forgot where exactly it's located.
Used same line. smoked like crazy. maybe your top end isnt all carboned up? i put the other 2/3 in my oil for 225 miles cuz bad things happened and i couldnt change earlier. now car runs like a bat out of hell with 141k! read sumwhere if u leave it in for too long you can f up a rod bearing. but who knows,
I had hesitation for a few days after putting it in top end but went away.

and for being a newb! i am a master at the search button. regardless if my car/ bodykit/mods are unliked at least give me that!
remiljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
Amidath
The Next Best Thing

Amidath Gettin' there
Talking

Ran it through the PCV line (included a picture) that actually gets to part one and it worked like a charm, though my car REALLY hated having that line exposed . Smoked a lot more this time, though less than I expected, but I suppose that is from sending it through the other lines which must have cleaned at least some of it.

To clear some things up for the other posts thanks to some information I got ont he various hoses:
Hose 1 does go into the crank case, so it does have a bit more SeaFoam in there than is recommended on the bottle, but I was a bit low to begin with so I added some oil and that will even it out until I get the oil changed here soon.
Hose 2 does go into the PCV system, but part 3 so it doesn't get all of the engine
The hose in the included picture gets into part 1 of the PCV system, servicing all of the cylinders.

On this engine I have been informed to not use the brake booster since the cylinder design is a bit different and it doesn't actually get to all of it, though I have heard great success by using the BB line so I leave that decision to you.

One thing to note is my Check Engine Soon light came on, but that isn't too surprising. If it is still on tomorrow I am just going to undo the battery and let the computer reboot.

Here is a video of a bit of the smoke show if anyone is interested ( and please don't put hate comments on my muffler choice - I like them and spent enough money installing them that I just don't want to hear it )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg h1.jpg (202.8 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Amidath; 05-05-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
hahano404

Quote:
Originally Posted by remiljr View Post
Used same line. smoked like crazy. maybe your top end isnt all carboned up? i put the other 2/3 in my oil for 225 miles cuz bad things happened and i couldnt change earlier. now car runs like a bat out of hell with 141k! read sumwhere if u leave it in for too long you can f up a rod bearing. but who knows,
I had hesitation for a few days after putting it in top end but went away.

and for being a newb! i am a master at the search button. regardless if my car/ bodykit/mods are unliked at least give me that!
(Didn't smoke because it wasn't being burned)
Old 05-04-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
Pauljp
GAGT - Member

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
Pauljp Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeGaGt00 View Post
if you used hose 1 to suck the engine cleaner into..id do an oil change asap..you just "inhaled" (for lack of a better term) the cleaner into your engine oil and have now contaminated it. hose 1 goes to the rear valve cover and will not clean the intake tracts like your trying to do.
You do not need to change oil after adding seafoam.
This is directly from the Seafom web page about adding it to your oil:

"The most frequently asked question about using Sea Foam is as follows: “After using Sea Foam in my oil, fuel, or through the vacuum line (to clean carbon from the combustion chamber) do I need to change my oil?” The short answer is: No you don’t have to change your oil after using Sea Foam in any application.

When using Sea Foam in your fuel or through the vacuum line for carbon cleaning your oil does not need to be changed. Using Sea Foam in your oil, at 1 ½ ounces per quart, is a safe way to clean a crankcase, free up rings or free up sticky lifters as you drive. Sea Foam is not a chemical engine flush and therefore, it will not damage internal engine components or plug the oil pick up screen. Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives and is safe for long term cleaning or short term pre-service cleaning.

Sea Foam is a blend of highly refined additive oils and is compatible with all motor oils including synthetics. It is safe for all internal engine components and will not affect any seals, gaskets or o-rings. Sea Foam cleans oil deposits and varnish in your crankcase by safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. The longer Sea Foam is in your oil the cleaner your crankcase will become. When adding Sea Foam to clean oil, for long term maintenance cleaning, you must check your oil periodically for color and clarity, when your oil looks dirty change it. Because you added cleaning oil (Sea Foam) to your oil you may have to change oil before the expected service interval.

When adding Sea Foam to dirty oil before an oil change, for best results use 1 ½ ounces per quart of oil at least 100 miles before oil is changed."
Pauljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
XtremeGaGt00
converted to ls1 :)

AKA: Jason
Vehicle: 00gagt 99gtp 99t/a
XtremeGaGt00 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to XtremeGaGt00
understandable..but for ALL the sea foam to be sucked into the crank case?
99 Trans Am6.0 lq4,studded,t76 turbo, turbo cam, 3.5in exhaust,#80's,dual walbros,ford 9in rear, adj, tq arm, adj, control arms,160 stat,ls6 intake,555r's 11.8 @122.<<--nitrous only times
XtremeGaGt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
westerndragon
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 GT1
westerndragon has a little tarnish on their crown
Send a message via Yahoo to westerndragon
no if your adding it to the crank case then only use the recomended ammount and follow the written instructions

i know the whole reading instructions thing sux but eh...less boom is good
Old 05-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #14
hahano404

oOo niether one fed the manifold. pull the pcv. its extra, super, and all other gay words, simple.
there is no smoke because, like said before, its all in the crankcase.
i would change oil for sure, regardless of instructions.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
Sans the exhaust being stock on mine, Kyle's video is identical to what mine looked like about an hour ago when i foamed mine via pcv vacuum line.

96K and i can't believe how much smoother the car is idling and starting. i'm off to buy some plugs and wires now wowieeee!!!!
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
i_ammetal
Awww Piss!

AKA: Clifton
Vehicle: 06 Grand Prix GXP
i_ammetal Gettin' there
Did my car yesterday.. a little pathetic poof for about a second.. and that was the climax.

But otherwise... after taking her out for a spin.. noticeable idle and response increase!

THANKS SEA FOAM
i_ammetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
Pauljp
GAGT - Member

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
Pauljp Gettin' there
Just did mine.
Pulled off the PCV valve, spun the 90 degree connector around and stuck a small funnel into it.
Poured in 1/3 can of seafoam while my wife kept the idle at 1500.
Shut it down. Replaced the PCV valve. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Then started it up.
My SES light came on, as expected from the O2 sensor, and there wasn't too much smoke.
Revved it for a few minutes in the laneway.
Then took her out for a nice aggressive (but legal) spin down the highway.
Got home, reset the SES light and all is well.
I haven't noticed any major difference yet.
Pauljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #18
Amidath
The Next Best Thing

Amidath Gettin' there
I certainly have noticed a big improvement in my higher end speeds and performance and torque as well as better response off the line.

Tags
3400, no smoke, seafoam, vacuum line