GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
DIY warm air intake?

hey a quick question cause the search function doesn't seem to like me much on these forums..

autozone has the pipes and hardware, and of course the filters to make a warm or cold air induction setup..

how bad is this stuff? i've been leary of eBaying anything due to getting something thats junk, and I want to try something with it anyways.

i wanna leave the front end of the "ram air" box, to where it connects into the factory airbox left in tact. and then have the warm air induction filter sitting right there, so that the nostrils in the front end are actually blowing air across that filter. yes i realize it'll get scurved up real quick, but how bad are the parts at the zone to try this with??
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Nick-G
Boost Addict

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT V6
Nick-G Gettin' there
Leave your stock airbox in if your not going to do it right.

----------------------------------
www.motorsportsevolved.com
Get updates on Facebook
Nick-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
ya its worthless to do anything with you intake unless you do a cold air intake and put the filter into the fender well. the piping at autozone works fine, they sell spectre intake parts. it would probably be cheaper to order parts from http://www.spectreperformance.com/ but you would have to guess on what bends to get.
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
my autozone guy was looking at this and said this is what the chevy trucks are doing. i figure for the spectre filter for 25 bucks, i'll try this for a couple tanks and see if it improves anything, it def made a different sound.

how far down the fend do we need to go? and what's the difference if i let the nose push air to it vs having it suck air in the fender void?

put a pic up just to make all you sick
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
my autozone guy was looking at this and said this is what the chevy trucks are doing. i figure for the spectre filter for 25 bucks, i'll try this for a couple tanks and see if it improves anything, it def made a different sound.

how far down the fend do we need to go? and what's the difference if i let the nose push air to it vs having it suck air in the fender void?

put a pic up just to make all you sick
Okay first off a lot of people the work at part stores don't know as much as people think, but there are also a few pretty smart guys there that really know there stuff. just gotta go there enough to figure out who's who

The Chevy trucks can get away with that because they have a much larger engine bay and don't have to worry about heat building up under the hood as much as we do. and they also don't have a transmission right below the engine
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
realestdriver

AKA: MJ
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT 2dr
realestdriver Gettin' there
go down into that fender about a foot and a half, just get the damn thing in the fender and out of sight
Old 07-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

LOL i'm in favor of hiding it i think it's hideous!! the rest of the box will leave, just the tube that comes off the duct work inside of the nosecone is what i want to leave, and try to line that filter up. the nose ducts seem to pass air pretty good and my train of thought is if there is air blowing across it, it's bound to be better than it sucking it in from the fender
Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Nick-G
Boost Addict

Nick-G Gettin' there
Thats honestly probably one of the worst ways you could have your intake setup even over stock. Just buy a CAI and throw away the garbage spectre filter.

Get updates on Facebook
Old 07-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Look on MPRacing. Mark has instructions on there to do a CAI.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

I'll do some looking into that, and this spectre thing is simply on it because whilst moving it around to various places (i'm going to do a little experimenting with this) if i were to damage it, i don't want it to be a k&n that i'm tearing up. once I find where it suits my needs the best then i'll go get a good filter for it but i've got a few tanks of gas to run through first.

but thanks guys, i know you're just tryin to help outta dweeb
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Dan2010s
Go big or Go home

AKA: Daniel
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Coupe
Dan2010s Gettin' there
Please, do yourself a favor and get a cai from eBay. The 3 pc set for 99.00 is a great setup, warm air intakes are worse than stock air boxes. There is nothing positive coming from what you've done there. It's only making it worse.
Dan2010s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
Nick-G
Boost Addict

Nick-G Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010s View Post
Please, do yourself a favor and get a cai from eBay. The 3 pc set for 99.00 is a great setup, warm air intakes are worse than stock air boxes. There is nothing positive coming from what you've done there. It's only making it worse.
The ebay intakes work but don't compare to anything else in quality.

Get updates on Facebook

Tags
air, diy, filter