GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 08-12-2003, 01:15 PM   #21
KevinT
Kevinem

Vehicle: RED 2000 Grand Am SE
KevinT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to KevinT
Can I just throw something out here real quick Wouldn't the big difference between coolant and power steering fluid (or trans fluid) be that one is watery, and one is oily? If there was a coolant leak, it would basically dry up, and at best leave a small orange stain. Now transmission fluid would cause a real mess, and wouldn't just dry up. A bad water pump also shouldn't have anything to do with your car's electrical system not working. It just sounds like you somehow hooked up your battery incorrectly.
KevinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:36 AM   #22
3400MAN
We Build Excitement!

AKA: Len
Vehicle: 2002 GTP Coupe
3400MAN Gettin' there
Not the same problem

I am not saying that problems are one in the same. My previous problem has not been solved. It still looks like coolant to me. It's been leaking for about 3 weeks now. Sat, Sun and Monday I drove a lot of miles and some of them pretty hard. Monday afternoon while in traffic I looked down and saw a service engine light come on. So I went home and disconnected my battery for 90 minutes. Positive and Negative. After 90 mintues I reattached the battery terminals and the car will not start. The (2) problems I feel are related. I checked the shifter being sure it was in park all the way. I checked the oil, it was little low, but not too low. Within the operating range anyway. When i put the key in, I hear a clicking when I try to start the car. I am assuming that is the starter. But the keyless entry doesen't work, the headlights are dim to nothing happening, and the car does not crank at all. Just some clicking when I try to start the car. Everthing on the dash, including the clock lights up with the key in, but it just dims out or flickers pretty badly. I can also hear the fuel pump engage.

But the car has been dead since Monday night and noone has even looked at it yet. Any ideas?? Anyway someone can narrow down what might be wrong?
3400MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:55 AM   #23
KevinT
Kevinem

KevinT Gettin' there
I hear ya. The first thing I would've done when the SES light came on was have it checked. I mean, that might have told you exacty what was wrong in the first place. These days Auto Zone will check that SES code for free. What was your goal in getting it to turn off?

Have you checked the coolant level in the surge tank to see if it looks low?

It also sounds like you may have your battery cables backwards, or that you just have a battery that needs replacing. I would first make sure the cables are hooked up correctly, and then maybe look into getting a new battery (only about $60). You just got to look at it like this: You un-hook the battery, and hook it back up and now you have electrical problems. The only thing that changed was the battery hookup, right? That starter clicking noise usually means it's not getting enough power to operate, and the other things you mentioned just sound like nothing is getting power.

I just trying to point out some things. Hope it helps.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:17 AM   #24
3400MAN
We Build Excitement!

3400MAN Gettin' there
I hear ya

I am going to go to the shop and recheck the battery to see if that has anything to do with it. Is there a quick way to check the power remaining in the battery? Volt meter?
Old 08-13-2003, 09:22 AM   #25
Molson
Admininadian!

AKA: Jim
Vehicle: Fords (I know eh?)
Molson a trusted member
volt meter / load tester
Old 08-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #26
KevinT
Kevinem

KevinT Gettin' there
Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone will check that for free also.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:14 AM   #27
km0599
Poor Teen

AKA: Kate
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe
km0599 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to km0599 Send a message via MSN to km0599 Send a message via Yahoo to km0599
Have you solved the leak? My cars ac compressor is bad and it isn't freon that leaks. It is the oil from the compressor itself cause the bearings are bad. When the A/C runs it spits up small amouts of oil stuff. If it is that...your freon will slowly leak out and your a/c will die. Any chances it is that????
km0599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:30 AM   #28
3400MAN
We Build Excitement!

3400MAN Gettin' there
Anythings Possible AT This Point

I'm at work and my car is 15 miles away. I agree that unplugging the battery for 90 minutes with a SES light, but no other obvious problems points to the battery being the reason the car won't start.. I feel that if I can get a new battery in the car, and it starts then I can address the SES light seperately.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:20 PM   #29
3400MAN
We Build Excitement!

3400MAN Gettin' there
AllDone

Went down there around 2:00 p.m. The SES light was for low voltage. The battery was dead! I got home OK, but not knowing my voltage was the issue, I unplugged the battery to reset the PCM to see if the SES light would temp. go away at least until Saturday when I had my next appointment for the slow leak. Still working on that one, I'll post what they find.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:29 AM   #30
KevinT
Kevinem

KevinT Gettin' there
I just talked to my buddy who is a mechanic. He's got a 1998 Dodge Pickup and had the same problem. It was the water pump, and he said that's what they do sometimes before they completely crap out on you. He said it will only happen when the car is not running, so you shouldn't end up losing too much coolant. He replaced the water pump and all was well.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:20 AM   #31
novadude
GAGT - Newbie

novadude Gettin' there
My car is doing this now. I think it is power steering fluid. Did you ever figure out what your problem was?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #32
71Z28RS
Build It Yourself

Vehicle: 1996 Grand Am GT
71Z28RS Gettin' there
Ours did that. It was the power steering pump.

You can get a dye added to the R134a gas in your a/c if you want to check that. It is a flouresent green and very noticable.

If it is a coolant leak from your water pump, it will eventually dry up if you let it sit for a while and it's not really oily. If it's your power steering pump, it'll be oily and never dry up.

"Life was easier when fuel supply was measured in cfm's, not in psi"
71Z28RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 AM   #33
preed4962
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand AM GT Sedan
preed4962 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to preed4962
FYI, this may help...

Water Pump Weep (Install Coolant Collector) #01-06-02-012 - (11/30/2001)
Water Pump Weep (Install Coolant Collector)
1996-1998 Buick Skylark

1996-2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

1997-1999 Chevrolet Malibu

1996-1998 Oldsmobile Achieva

1999-2001 Oldsmobile Alero

1996-2001 Pontiac Grand Am

1996-2002 Pontiac Sunfire

with 2.4L Engine (VIN T - RPO LD9)

Condition
Some owners may comment on leakage of a few drops of coolant after parking their vehicle. A technician may notice that the water pump may show a staining around the weep hole.

Cause
The occasional drop of coolant and the staining may be the evidence of normal coolant weepage. The weep hole prevents normal coolant weepage from accumulating around the bearing seal. For more information on this normal condition, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-02-009.

Correction
Replacing the water pump for this normal weepage is likely to result in a repeat of the customer concern. To address customer concerns and promote customer satisfaction, a coolant collector has been developed to trap and absorb normal weepage of the pump. The coolant collector is a hinged, two-part collar that easily snaps around the neck of the water pump. Installing this new part is quick and effective and reduces unnecessary water pump replacement.

The coolant collector has a limited capacity to absorb coolant. If diagnosis with a pressure test of the coolant system indicates a failed pump seal, or if the customer concern is for coolant consumption, installing the coolant collector will not correct the condition.

Coolant Collector Installation
Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information subsection of the applicable Service Manual.
Place the open hinged coolant collector around the narrow neck area of the water pump. Position the hinged portion towards the front of the vehicle. Close the coolant collector, ensuring the tongue enter the latch. Exert pressure to lock the coolant collector in place until an audible click is heard, which ensure retention.
Lower the vehicle.
Parts Information
The coolant collector is available as part of an updated water pump kit and is also available separately.

Part Number
Description
Qty

Coolant Collector

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

J3701
Water Pump, Coolant Collector - Install
0.3 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
preed4962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 10:53 AM   #34
novadude
GAGT - Newbie

novadude Gettin' there
Thanks. In my case, I am pretty sure it is PS fluid, and not coolant. It is more oily than dexcool, and more clear than reddish.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:36 AM   #35
3400MAN
We Build Excitement!

3400MAN Gettin' there
H2O Pump

It was my water pump. I replaced it and all is well now.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #36
HighlyBoosted66
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Gavin
Vehicle: '99 Grand PrixGT coupe
HighlyBoosted66 Gettin' there
just taste a little bit to see if it is antifreeze or not
Old 01-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #37
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Way to drag up a six year old thread. I think the problem has been fixed by now.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #38
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #39
Panacea
Mmmm Donuts.

AKA: Macleod52
Vehicle: '09 Malibu LTZ
Panacea a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to Panacea
Seriously dude? Wow.

But, just to humor everyone, here's the answer to this 6 year old question. It's the water pump. No leakage under the car, but sure did spray on the underside of the hood. Had the pump replaced twice on mine.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #40
KhellendrosxS
Im A Motherfuc*er

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT
KhellendrosxS a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to KhellendrosxS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyBoosted66 View Post
just taste a little bit to see if it is antifreeze or not
Somebody trying to boost post count to reach the 30 quota to post in AAG?

SHOW:
Camaro Brake Upgrade, F/R Sway Bars, SLP STB
KhellendrosxS is offline   Reply With Quote