GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
knightrida
Wikitone

AKA: Dee
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
knightrida Gettin' there
Problem with Starting

I have a 2000 GAGT and when its cold or first start in the morning it fires right up. But when its warmed up after driving for a few miles and shut it off for like 10 min or more its hard starting. Cranks over for like 7 sec or so and will start sometimes it will die and make a exhale noise thru my CA intake. But if i tap the gas when its started its fine rpms will go up and down and will settle out to about 900 rpms or so. There have been times where i smell gas but it goes away. I was told it could be a bad cell in my battery. And thats another problem my batt goes dead if it sits for a week or so. I have aftermarket stereo and amp but my amp is not on when car is off my remote wire is fine even put a toggle switch to it and it still dies.I do have a .5 f arid Cap on for my amp I have no clue what the problem could be. Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks
knightrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
pontiacgt05
GAGT - Member

AKA: ean
Vehicle: 2005 grand am GT coupe
pontiacgt05 Gettin' there
Ive been having the same problem with mine. Im slowly replacing everything that has to do with air/ gas/ starting. I dont think its the electris system, cuz its happened before i got my system. Ive cleaned my maf sensor and replaced my iac valve so far, and that seems to be helping. next is spark plugs and wires so ill tell you if that makes any difference with it.
pontiacgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
knightrida
Wikitone

knightrida Gettin' there
Ok thanks keep me posted. Let me know when you find out please. I went out today and tried to start it....... (been about 3 weeks or so) Nothing at all completely dead!! Had to jump it with my truck witch i hate doing!! It started and i looked at my voltmeter and it read 14.0 when it was running. I let it idle for about 30 min and my voltmeter read 13.8-13.9 it was bouncing back and fourth. So my alternator is working fine. I just have no clue what is draining it. It wouldn't be my cap would it? I have checked all my wires. It would be interesting to find out what it is. I put a float charger on my batt. I don't plan on driving it just yet there is still snow on the ground. I store it for the winter.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
Fuel Pressure Regulator----they need changed, they're a rubber baffle inside, they rot.

Prepare to do it slow, that stupid little star bit head screw kinda sucks, but it's not the worst job to do.

I would start with that, and also take that battery in somewhere, auto parts stores can test them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
knightrida
Wikitone

knightrida Gettin' there
Humm didnt think about that!! I will check into ordering one. I took it off once before when i blew the LIM gasket. Has a torx bit screw on it. I remember having to hold the throttle down to get to it. Will take the batt in next week to have it checked looked on batt and it says 12/06 date on it. I think it might be time for a new one. Thanks for the input. Much appreciated
Old 03-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
1/4" extension is your FRIEND!

i think i got one for 40 some bucks @ o'reilly a few months ago. mine was getting to that "tap" to get it to start warm, and i'd just done fuel filter/plugs/wires/seafoamed/blah blah (was creepin' on 100K) so we tossed that at it, and cured it.

hopefully that's all it is man
Quote:
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:05 AM   #7
knightrida
Wikitone

knightrida Gettin' there
Cool thanks man will look into getting one. Yea i creeped past 100k mark long ago . Will get one next week or so. As its still in storage. Thanks again man. 1/4 extension would have been my best friend but i didn't have one . Might look into getting one
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

yea i think all i had was a half, which was too big to fit through the throttle linkage deal there, so we did it the hard way, ended up using a hex head bolt to replace it
Quote:

Tags
amp, battery, starting