GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #141
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: David
Vehicle: 04 vette, 14 R6
stewartfn18 a trusted member
well one more update. ltfts are good after swapping the injectors. still getting alot of kr, and im in, well was, in the process of tweaking the timing tables. last 2 writes ive done car has started right up with no problems. however today when i made some changes its right back to not wanting to stay on by itself. i have NO CLUE what the hell is going on. im stumped. so i MAY be done trying to tweak it until i can get a def answer on why its doing this.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #142
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member

well i have another update. i tried doing a write today, didnt want to stay on. so i hooked up my scanner and scanned the car wit my foot on the gas. iac was stuck at 255. idk if thats all the way open or closed, but it wouldnt idle on its own, so im guessing it was stuck closed and it wouldnt open when i let off the gas. so on a hunch i took the iac valve out, turned the car to the on position, nothing happened. i turned the car back off and the plunger shot out. i tried it twice and the same thing happened. so i screwd the plunger back in and put the iac back in the tb. and wouldnt you know it, it started and stayed on. i think i have a bad iac valve. what does everyone think. i already talked to aaron about it, so aaron, if you read this, its not that i dont believe you.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #143
AleroB888
not this alero

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: 1999 Alero V6
AleroB888 Gettin' there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk

Last edited by AleroB888; 09-23-2010 at 02:18 AM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #144
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Did a little scanning for David last week and thought I'd post the log for him. Last time we did anything we where trying to get rid of some detonation he had. I don't recall if he was running high octane or mid-grade at that time, but his fuel trims were enough in the positive all the time that I thought he wasn't getting enough fuel during normal driving or at WOT. Even though his commanded AFR in PE was set too low IMO for an NA car.

I raised the commanded AFR a bit, but increased the value in the injector table to increase fuel all around, and bumped the AE fuel a little bit. Then I took a little bit of spark out of the mean best torque table to combat the KR.

Last time we scanned he was running 93 octane and not getting any KR which was good. Only a little blip of less than 1 degree at one point and it wasn't consistent. The odd thing is his fuel trims. They seemed fine at first, but after warming up they go negative a bit too much at idle and cruise, but then in PE mode they go up positive around +8. Not really what I like too see.

I was looking around for possible issues and only found two things so far. His fans were set to turn on too low and with the 180 T-stat in there his coolant was barely getting to 165 at times and he constantly has a low coolant temp DTC set. We raised the fan temps but it still runs cold, so I'm recommending he switch back to a 195 T-stat. The other problem is his MAP sensor. It's not registering 100Kpa during WOT or before start up when it should be testing the barometric pressure. It's only seeing around 88Kpa. Since we are close to sea level it should be much higher than that. I checked the 1 bar MAP in my GP and it sees 100Kpa for baro, so I think his MAP is bad. We are going to try testing my old 1bar MAP out of my GA in his car and see what it reads to see if his MAP is bad. Does anyone think that may be affecting his fuel trims? Maybe it's not referencing the correct VE tables since the pressure reading isn't right? I'll attach the latest scan if anyone wants to look at it.
Attached Files
File Type: csv 04_22_2011.csv (41.0 KB, 7 views)
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #145
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member
Looks like there's still some work to be done with the fuel trims.
With a 180 stat, his low speed fan should turn on at about 205, and the high speed around 210. I know that may sound high.....
I forget.....does he have a wideband? Have you done any logging to compare lambda values with each step in the MAF table? You should lock the PCM into open loop for this of course. It just seems like the PCM is still trying to figure things out and over-adjusts, throwing things off.
Built 3400/3500 V6 hybrid, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, AP Racing brakes, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Click here to see my Wheelwell profile
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #146
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member

thanks aaron. matt yea i have a wideband.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #147
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
We haven't tried hooking the wideband up to the tuner yet for logging. It's different than mine (AEM vs Innovate) so it may take a little work setting it up. It's in the plans though.

Also iirc, I think I set his low speed fans to come on at 200 and high speed at like 215. I'd have to get the lap top out to check. Regardless, it's still running too cold. Barely gets up to 180 sometimes which is weird considering how hot it is down here. I almost wonder if the lower compression from the 3500 top swap has anything to do with it? I wouldn't think it would make that much difference though.

Last edited by AaronGTR; 05-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #148
02GT_SkyHigh
GAGT - Driver

AKA: Skyler
Vehicle: 2002 GT Sedan
02GT_SkyHigh Gettin' there
Awesome. so much to learn
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/391881...am-gt-sedan-4d

Last edited by 02GT_SkyHigh; 05-02-2011 at 03:46 PM.
02GT_SkyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #149
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
I almost wonder if the lower compression from the 3500 top swap has anything to do with it? I wouldn't think it would make that much difference though.
I'm sure that has something to do with it. Higher compression generates more heat, so it follows that lower compression would generate less heat.
I've taken several measures to keep heat out of the cooling system with my new motor, which will run ~10.9:1 compression.
Built 3400/3500 V6 hybrid, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, AP Racing brakes, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Click here to see my Wheelwell profile
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote