GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
gectek
I hate nose hair

AKA: John
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT sc/t
gectek Gettin' there
trans question

ok so which table/cell do you modify for the WOT shifting on the PT. i have tried quite a few different ways and i still cannot get it to shift consistently at a single rpm from 1-2 or 2-3 shifting. itll usually go above 6800 revs before itll shift and even then itll stay at the 6800-7k mark for about 1-3 seconds before itll finally shift. i have the shift time set to .1 on all shift times, and i have changed them from .4 to .1 and the rpm from 6200 to 5200 and the mph as well and still no change in the shifting prob. any input?

Procrastinators UNITE!!!.....tomorrow
gectek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #2
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
well when i changed myn i didnt change the shift time that much and i didnt change the mph that it shifts at... and i changed the rpm to 6000... and i also incressed the shift pressure by i think 15%. and i have myrev limiter for when im driving to 6400 i think. i think my prob the first time when i was tunning i had the mph shift points changed as well and i was having the same problems as u.
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
silvergtjrad
yargh!

AKA: Jared
Vehicle: 06 TBSS
silvergtjrad a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to silvergtjrad
You have to modify the tables in the "shift point-Normal" section. We dont have a perf. shift button like the GTPs do.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #4
gectek
I hate nose hair

gectek Gettin' there
unless you add a button of course...but i havent, i just copied and pasted the info from the perf cells to the normal, but it didnt seem to do anything really...maybe ill just look at smoothing the shift pressure and such and keep the times to .1 ms...maybe shorter if itll affect anything

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
yah when i did myn i just did it to the normal and hot tables. i didnt mess with the urban,cruising,or performance. im just now learning how to really tune, but ive got the higher shift points at 6000 rpm down. ive just had to go through alot of trial and error.
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
Shock24Z
GAGT - Member

AKA: Andy
Vehicle: 98 Grand Prix GTP
Shock24Z Still kinda new, but learning
On the topic of WOT shifting... Has anyone else had any trouble in obtaining a crisp 1-2 shift? I know it was discussed in a thread on the PT boards awhile back but the thread never really pointed to any definite solution. I've played with most of the tables in the trans folder minus a few TQ management ones... I'm a bit leery of just wiping out TQ reduction at the shifts even though it could solve the lazy shift issue.
Shock24Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

AKA: Jon
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT1
lone_wolf025 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lone_wolf025
Ask Mark from MP Racing. I've had his tune on my car for sometime and under power that 1-2 shift was pretty nice.

Never ask why people do strange/stupid things...the answer just makes it worse...

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone else
Ahhh but that would be in the land of "Makes Sense"...you forget that we live in the land of "DUHHH"
lone_wolf025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Shock24Z
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf025 View Post
Ask Mark from MP Racing. I've had his tune on my car for sometime and under power that 1-2 shift was pretty nice.

That would be somewhat awkward. His knowledge of tuning earns his paycheck. If I just ask him to tell me how he does it its like asking him for free tools. If he wants to share some info in this thread he is welcome to but I couldn't ever expect that from a vendor.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 AM   #9
GT-squared
GAGT - Member

AKA: Frank
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT sedan
GT-squared Gettin' there
I played around with mine last year for WOT shifting. I couldn't get a consistent shift either.
According to my tranny guy, the problem is line pressure. I had mine bumped up pretty high. The combination of higher RPM and higher line pressure is too much for the clutches. They can not release enough to allow the shift. I ended having to back off the throttle a bit at my shift point to allow it to upshift. If not, it would "hang up" there for a second or 2, stuck at high rpm. In the end, I brought both my line pressure down a bit and RPM down closer to stock, and seemed to work for me.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #10
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I've noticed my shifts seem to hang sometimes too, even with the beefed up tranny. I haven't had time to play with the settings more, but I plan on seeing if I can't make it better. I was toying with the idea of dropping the redline down a bit too, as the trans doesn't seem to like shifting that high. GM only rated it for a max shift rpm of 6500 after all and my redline is 6300. Secondary reason I was thinking of dropping it is so I can run a smaller pulley on the SC without over spinning it. It will make more boost at lower rpm then and not peak too high at redline, so I think that may actually make it faster at the track shifting at a lower rpm.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
gectek
I hate nose hair

gectek Gettin' there
well in my defense, i am running a 3.91 gear, but for some reason i was putting the shift rpm at 5900 even and it was still shifting at 6800 so idk what the deal was

Old 06-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #12
Shock24Z
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
I've noticed my shifts seem to hang sometimes too, even with the beefed up tranny. I haven't had time to play with the settings more, but I plan on seeing if I can't make it better. I was toying with the idea of dropping the redline down a bit too, as the trans doesn't seem to like shifting that high. GM only rated it for a max shift rpm of 6500 after all and my redline is 6300. Secondary reason I was thinking of dropping it is so I can run a smaller pulley on the SC without over spinning it. It will make more boost at lower rpm then and not peak too high at redline, so I think that may actually make it faster at the track shifting at a lower rpm.
One bandaid fix I've found is to lower the shift rpm a bit. It firms up but obviously this is not entirely desirable.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
lightningGA
Bagged and Boosted!!

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: Boosted 00 GA
lightningGA Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lightningGA Send a message via Yahoo to lightningGA
Reviving an old thread....but that's what the search button is for, right?

Did anyone ever come up with a solution for the 1-2 WOT shift hang?

Eaton SUPER CHARGED!!!!!
lightningGA is offline   Reply With Quote