GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 03-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
riZe-
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Jeff
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Coupe
riZe- Gettin' there
Front Speaker Ideas

Hey,

I'm looking to replace my front speaker/tweeter set in my 2002 Grand AM GT. I would also like suggestions on whether or not amping my front speaker set would be necessary in order to get the best out of my system or if I can avoid it and still be provided with a decent quality.

I currently have...

Stock Tweeters and aftermarket Kenwood KFC-4675C 4x6 speakers. I am very happy with the quality that these speakers provide but they seem to have a lot of difficulty with high frequency noise. I need a replacement set that can handle the highs but still manage a decent midrange sound. I need your opinions on everything including whether or not I should switch to a round speaker, if I should get a component set of speakers or anything else you can think of!

Head Unit:
Alpine CDA-117

Rear 6x9's:
Kenwood Excelon KFC-X693

Subs:
JL 10w1v2 (x2)

Monoblock Sub Amplifier:
KAC-9105D

Thanks for your opinions.

EDIT: Also as a sidenote I have bypassed the stock monsoon system in the car.
riZe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #2
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

AKA: Joey
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/ 00 Mustang GT
KillNThrill24 Gettin' there
You've only got a W1 it's really not necesary to amp your speakers. I needed to because my subs were drowning my speakers. I removed the 4x6 mounts and threw some Rockford 6.5's in there, with minor modification. Its ridiculous how clear and loud it is now especially with the 6x9's in the back. All run on a Rockford t400-2. But I'm running ~1600rms so I need it bad just put a good set of speakers in and you'll be fine. The stock setup really isn't bad sounding.
black painted rims, tinted tail lights, 6000k HID headlights and fogs (DRL disabled), pioneer AVH-P3200BT, 2 pioneer 6x9's, rockford p1 6.5's in the front doors, american bass XD 15's in custom ported box, RE xt4000de-v2 on subs, rockford t400-2 on highs, custom intake, 42% tint, the mufflerless madman...

00 Mustang GT:
Ford Racing 4.10's, BBK cold air, Bassani SS catted x (no cats) 3in Borla XR1's, Eibach's, B&M Short Throw and T handle, SCT Race91 tuned

KillNThrill24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
caraudiodave
Boring old man

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: '13 Camry hybrid
caraudiodave Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillNThrill24 View Post
You've only got a W1 it's really not necesary to amp your speakers. I needed to because my subs were drowning my speakers. I removed the 4x6 mounts and threw some Rockford 6.5's in there, with minor modification. Its ridiculous how clear and loud it is now especially with the 6x9's in the back. All run on a Rockford t400-2. But I'm running ~1600rms so I need it bad just put a good set of speakers in and you'll be fine. The stock setup really isn't bad sounding.
sorry but I disagree. The purpose of amplifying speakers is NOT to compete with the subwoofer, it is to get cleaner power and more power to the speakers. someone could build an incredibly balanced system with a JL w1.

im not 100% sure what the original question is. I would suggest a component system with either a 5.25" mid, tweeter, and a crossover or similar set with a 6.5" mid. there are some out there that will run of deck power, but to get the best quality sound you would want to amplify them. Also, considering that you have 6x9s in back, they will out power your fronts unless you have an amp where you can adjust the gains independently.

if you want suggestions for brands/models I suggest going to listen to some options. Bring your favorite CDs and hear how they respond. Also see if you can listen to them with an amp versus without an amp. Best Buy seems to have a decent selection but you can also look for independent shops for some of the more rare brands.
2013 Toyota Camry hybrid: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5 (1000 x 1), Dynaudio MD100 (1" tweeters), Dynaudio MW160 (6.5" mids), Eclipse SW8812 (12" aluminum cone subwoofer)

Last edited by caraudiodave; 03-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.
caraudiodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

while i agree it is for cleaner power, i also think that the amp is there to compete with the subs. when you have a tremendous amount of power on your subs, you need that higher power to keep up with the subs. if not then you cant get the full potential of the subs therefore they dont sound very good. thats just from my experiences tho, yours may be different
black painted rims, tinted tail lights, 6000k HID headlights and fogs (DRL disabled), pioneer AVH-P3200BT, 2 pioneer 6x9's, rockford p1 6.5's in the front doors, american bass XD 15's in custom ported box, RE xt4000de-v2 on subs, rockford t400-2 on highs, custom intake, 42% tint, the mufflerless madman...

00 Mustang GT:
Ford Racing 4.10's, BBK cold air, Bassani SS catted x (no cats) 3in Borla XR1's, Eibach's, B&M Short Throw and T handle, SCT Race91 tuned

Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
WidbyJ
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jesse
Vehicle: 1999 Malibu S/C
WidbyJ Gettin' there
I recommend the kappa infinitis, the 4x6 model fits well and sounds very good. Your Alpine will put out pretty good sound as is but they DO sell an add-on amp that plugs right in and boosts all 4 channels, I'm happy with mine this way. Plenty of power to balance 2 12" subs at reasonable volumes...
WidbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
riZe-
GAGT - Newbie

riZe- Gettin' there
Hey guys, thanks so much for your feedback.

I really love the way my system sounds in its current state, but I as I mentioned I am somewhat disappointed with the range of my front stage. The quality up front is definitely up to where I like it (Most of which has to do with my Alpine), but i'm definitely looking to increase my range more-so than quality. If I can do that without the need of an amp that would be awesome, even though I definitely agree that an amp would provide the best results.

Basically I'm wondering a few basic things,
-Will a higher end round speaker provide a better sound than an oval. (Obviously there is more variety with the former).
-If so, is it hard to find or manufacture a bracket to hold those in place.
-What experiences with brands have you had and how have your impressions of them been? (I've heard good things about Focal, JL, and Diamond)
Down the road I definitely will consider adding an amp in to the system, but as of this moment I would prefer to avoid it. (But we'll see!)

Your brand suggestions are awesome keep it up and keep in mind I would go up to $300-350 for a good component set (tweeter&speaker). My main goal is absolutely to uphold a balanced and complete system (hence the w1's), I just need this one last piece to tweak it how I want it. You guys are fantastic, thanks for your advice and keep it coming!

Last edited by riZe-; 03-16-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #7
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

i love my Rockford Fosgates.. iv never been disappointed with anything iv owned by them, and iv had quite alot. there excellent for your entry-mid level equipment, IMO. and i just rounded the hole out in the door a little and popped some metal screws in it. easy as pie done in 5mins. other users may suggest spacers, but i didnt use any myself and i think they sound fantastic, clear as day and loud!

i personally prefer 6.5's over the 4x6's, to me they just sound a hell of a lot better most of the time.

00 Mustang GT:

Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
riZe-
GAGT - Newbie

riZe- Gettin' there
Awesome, thanks for the ideas and input Kill, it gives me an idea of what I'm dealing with now.

So after WidbyJ's post, I looked in to Alpines KTP-445 head unit power pack and It'll bring my RMS for my speakers up from 18rms to 45rms which gives me a lot more selection when it comes to speakers. I'm now looking around a component set that houses around a 40-50W rms, might even venture up to 60 since RMS is simply a recommendation.

A few models I came across:

Focal IS130's
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...cal-IS130.html

Boston Acoustic's SR50
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...tics-SR50.html

Rockford Fosgate P152-S
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...?itemid=112891

Since I live in the middle of freakin' nowhere with little-to-no suppliers in the area, I'll most likely have to order these online. Therefore I am relying quite heavily on feedback from friends and reviews online. So any input you have on this, please share it.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
KillNThrill24
GAGT - Member

well like i said im a Rockford guy only product iv used and i can vouch for their quality. on the other hand, i know for a fact Boston makes some killer products for overall sound quality. always wanted to run a solid Boston setup but never had the desire to order it all and have to uninstall everything i have and install more stuff. just a PITA. Focal is a newer brand if im not mistaken, at least in the higher range stuff. i think, they made crap in the past. but it may not be them i really cant remember who it was.

im glad to see you didnt put anything like Boss on there or Lanzar ha those are joke brands. but if your going the online route i only order from Sonic personally. there a reputable company and i give them my business whenever i need stuff i cant find at our local car audio shops.

if done properly, you CAN overpower your stuff. subs especially. i have my subs overpowered by a couple hundred RMS cant remember the exact amount, and my speakers are overpowered by about 60rms per channel, which when the channel only puts out 160rms... im almost doubling the speakers power. but i use caution, i never hav my gain cranked, never hav the bass boost turned up on my RE amp, and the Punch EQ on my t400-2. the more power the better usually. and with control, i believe the overpowering actually sounds better. you just gotta be careful if you start smelling voice coil turn it all off to avoid any further damage. if your sub is in a sealed box you may not smell it, it may just turn off and lock up. then when you pull the sub out.. make sure your in a well ventilated area ... i did it in my room and the smell was stuck for weeks

00 Mustang GT:

Old 03-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
caraudiodave
Boring old man

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: '13 Camry hybrid
caraudiodave Gettin' there
I have used Boston Acoustics, JL, Alpine, Phoenix gold, MB Quart, pioneer, dynaudio, and Focal. I have NEVER liked Fosgate (just personal opinion).

you rally need to listen to them to know what you like. Listen to metal dome tweeters versus silk dome as metal dome is more harsh, silk is more soft. Do not pick it by looks as it will be hidden. Some of my favorite speakers were my Quarts which used a stamped steel basket and metal dome tweeters.

BTW my age is not shown but im in my 30s. Ive been doing this since I was 15.
2013 Toyota Camry hybrid: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5 (1000 x 1), Dynaudio MD100 (1" tweeters), Dynaudio MW160 (6.5" mids), Eclipse SW8812 (12" aluminum cone subwoofer)
caraudiodave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, front, kenwood, speaker, speakers