GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Muzikdude
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE
Muzikdude Gettin' there
Is it possible to accidently leave something on? (Battery issue)

Hey dudes, haha. I kinda didn't want to post this topic, because it seems a lot of people post the same things >_>... however, I really do feel like my situation is different, and after reading a few threads, I'm still not quite sure I've found an answer.

For starters, I've read a lot about the security system issue. Well, my security light IS on, but it doesn't blink. I drove the car home from where the guy lived, started fine, and all was well (Just yesterday, actually). With no plates on it yet, today I was just gonna check out the stereo, figure out where everything is. It started fine, ran a bit, then I just shut it off. A bit later, I went to start it, and it wasn't like it was choking, it just kinda like... no power. It would kinda whine, then nothing. My dad boosted it, it was fine. All was well.

Then just about 10 minutes ago, I was going to check out my dash lights, and again, no power. Tried a few times, with less and less power. My parking lights work? Like I can flicker them on, my stereo works, and my inside dome light works.

If the battery was dead, would those still work?

Added: Also, if it means anything. My dad was checking it out just now. He kept trying to start it, and there was just less and less power. and now there's like, absolutely nothing >_>. Before it was completely dead though, one time he tried starting it, after the power was off, and the radio came on (stock radio, in case that matters), and then another time, the radio came on like, considerably louder, when I'm pretty sure he didn't turn it up. If anything, he was also checking to make sure I didn't leave something on (which, I was positive I didn't leave any light on that would kill it >_>)

Last edited by Muzikdude; 04-12-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Muzikdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
unchained_01
Manic Mechanic

AKA: albert
Vehicle: 2003 grand am gt
unchained_01 Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to unchained_01 Send a message via Yahoo to unchained_01
does this car have a aftrmarket stereo ? if so see if they hooked up the power antenna wire wrong if it persists take the radio out completely and leave it out until you get the other probs taken care of check all fuses and relays then install the radio with the correct harness and grounds
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
When you crank over the engine, it's weak you say...when it had no juice, did you hear clicking? Or no sound at all?

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Muzikdude
GAGT - Newbie

Muzikdude Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
When you crank over the engine, it's weak you say...when it had no juice, did you hear clicking? Or no sound at all?
I'm gonna say I definitely heard something but then after multiply trying, it eventually was just like, did nothing. And oddly enough, a few times like, the lights on the dash would be lit, when I took the key out. O_o

Also, When it was in the "completely dead" stage, the power locks wouldn't work (button wouldn't do anything, had to manually lock them... not like anybody would get far stealing it. xD) and when you pressed on the horn, you wouldn't heard the horn, it was just like, a rapid low sounding chirp (the best I could describe it)

Further doing research last night (since it was dark, there wasn't much more I could do until the morning), I came across a lot about the passlock crap? Then I came across something a little different. Something about not using the right key? It didn't completely occur to me until I read online, that when I was given the keys, there was two. But after checking, one of the keys has the Pontiac arrow on each side, and the other is just a "Curtis" brand (assume a cut key? or a "valet" key?). So here's another idea / question. Is it possible that maybe I was accidentally trying to start with the valet key, and not the official Pontaic key? Also, would multiply trying to start it when it's in that sort of security lockdown, kill it?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

It's the battery. Find a replacement 75 series battery and be done with it.

Problem, ricers?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Muzikdude
GAGT - Newbie

Muzikdude Gettin' there
To solidify the solution... could it *still* be the battery, if it fired up fine Tuesday (April 10th) first shot, looking at the car? Then fired up again on Wednesday picking it up? And when it did it the first time yesterday during the day, we boosted it and it was alright. And the indicator on the battery was green. = / ?

(sucks that I won't be able to try anything anyways for another 3 hours >_<)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

I'd still replace the battery.

The "Curtis" key is just a brand of aftermarket keys. Both my sets are "Curtis".

If the passlock is still being troublesome, the ignition cylinder may need replacement, and more annoyingly, you'll have two sets of different keys.

Problem, ricers?
Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
UndeadGods
Ram Aired!

AKA: 12
Vehicle: 2
UndeadGods Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikdude View Post
To solidify the solution... could it *still* be the battery, if it fired up fine Tuesday (April 10th) first shot, looking at the car? Then fired up again on Wednesday picking it up? And when it did it the first time yesterday during the day, we boosted it and it was alright. And the indicator on the battery was green. = / ?

(sucks that I won't be able to try anything anyways for another 3 hours >_<)
Since you live in Ontario, go to a closest part source or walmart, ask them to test your battery, if it has low juice, replace it.
I know I had issues with my battery on my GT, it just kept dying cuz my aftermarket radio was drawing energy constantly, nothing a little cute switch cant help..
UndeadGods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
bmoc0129
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Joshua
Vehicle: 2002 Grand AM Gt1
bmoc0129 Gettin' there
I'm having a similar problem. My trunk latch is acting up and I can't close the trunk without pressing down hard on the trunk to get the latch to fully catch the loop and lock. Therefore, I believe my trunk light MAY have killed my battery.

But have you checked to make sure your battery was attached securely? When I had a Walmart battery replaced the mechanic did not secure the battery and it was loose. I discovered this when I couldn't get down the street and checked under the hood. Check that and also get your battery checked at a near Autozone or Advance Auto...see if your battery cells are low.

And maybe you can look to see if your clock has reset when your car hasn't cranked. That way you could estimate how long your car battery has possibly drained/or been drained and determine is something such as a light or other device has drained your battery.

Hope you find a solution! I know it's frustrating O_o

Last edited by bmoc0129; 04-24-2012 at 12:36 PM.
bmoc0129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
UndeadGods
Ram Aired!

UndeadGods Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoc0129 View Post
I'm having a similar problem. My trunk latch is acting up and I can't close the trunk without pressing down hard on the trunk to get the latch to fully catch the loop and lock. Therefore, I believe my trunk light MAY have killed my battery.

But have you checked to make sure your battery was attached securely? When I had a Walmart battery replaced the mechanic did not secure the battery and it was loose. I discovered this when I couldn't get down the street and checked under the hood. Check that and also get your battery checked at a near Autozone or Advance Auto...see if your battery cells are low.

And maybe you can look to see if your clock has reset when your car hasn't cranked. That way you could estimate how long your car battery has possibly drained/or been drained and determine is something such as a light or other device has drained your battery.

Hope you find a solution! I know it's frustrating O_o
Not sure about the trunk light, but I think that the lights inside the car turn off automatically when the time elapses. I know cuz when I was working on my car at night my inside lights kept turning off on me every (10 maybe) minutes. It was driving me crazy cuz I wanted them to stay on.
As for the trunk not closing easily, try using WD40 or other lubricant on the lock hinge to free up n lubricate the stuck parts.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
bmoc0129
GAGT - Newbie

bmoc0129 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadGods View Post
Not sure about the trunk light, but I think that the lights inside the car turn off automatically when the time elapses. I know cuz when I was working on my car at night my inside lights kept turning off on me every (10 maybe) minutes. It was driving me crazy cuz I wanted them to stay on.
As for the trunk not closing easily, try using WD40 or other lubricant on the lock hinge to free up n lubricate the stuck parts.
You think it's some parts that are stuck? I will try that this week when I go and buy some WD-40. I also read someone else say about another model car that the loop had moved lower over the years and they removed the screws and raised the loop to get the trunk to latch on. I guess I just have to explore both options
Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
UndeadGods
Ram Aired!

UndeadGods Gettin' there
Quote:
You think it's some parts that are stuck? I will try that this week when I go and buy some WD-40. I also read someone else say about another model car that the loop had moved lower over the years and they removed the screws and raised the loop to get the trunk to latch on. I guess I just have to explore both options
Working at a place where all the ghetto people go, I see a lot of ****ty cars, problem is we gatta fix them when their hoods/trunks dont close.

I see this happen everyday, where the hood/trunk latch gets stunk in the open position, we usually use generous amount of WD40 or such products and play with it, n open n close it. It's more of a common for hoods tho, but trunks do it too.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
bmoc0129
GAGT - Newbie

bmoc0129 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndeadGods View Post
Working at a place where all the ghetto people go, I see a lot of ****ty cars, problem is we gatta fix them when their hoods/trunks dont close.

I see this happen everyday, where the hood/trunk latch gets stunk in the open position, we usually use generous amount of WD40 or such products and play with it, n open n close it. It's more of a common for hoods tho, but trunks do it too.
I did EXACTLY what you said and look at that...it works! Thanks so much! I LOVE THIS FORUM!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
UndeadGods
Ram Aired!

UndeadGods Gettin' there
Quote:
I did EXACTLY what you said and look at that...it works! Thanks so much! I LOVE THIS FORUM!
Glad to hear that you got it resolved bro.