GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #41
70BIRD
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Ernesto
Vehicle: 2000 Grand am GT
70BIRD Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Boy are you wasting a lot of money....

You don't need to change your oil every 3000 miles. This isn't 1950.
I don`t use synthetic , what would you think is a good interval on regular oil ??
BTW , it takes me about 5 months to drive 3000 miles , so it is almost the 6 month recommended interval you should keep the oil in the engine
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #42
shiwnath
GAGT - Member

AKA: Trevor
Vehicle: 2000 Olds Alero Sedan
shiwnath Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BIRD View Post
I don`t use synthetic , what would you think is a good interval on regular oil ??
BTW , it takes me about 5 months to drive 3000 miles , so it is almost the 6 month recommended interval you should keep the oil in the engine
Our cars have a GM Oil Life Monitoring System... I just change my oil every time the light comes on.. I've gone 8 months without an oil change before... A lot of people swear by the system while others change their oil on a fixed period.. I've been using the oil life system for over 3 years and my car is still running fine. There's nothing wrong with doing it on a fixed period.. It's just a waste of money that's all.
shiwnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #43
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70BIRD View Post
You don't have to use synthetic to use a longer change interval. The Castrol GTX high mileage I used in my grand prix is not synthetic and I could run that for 7,000 miles. You can go by when the oil change light comes on and that will work, or you can keep track of the miles yourself. If you really want to know for sure how long you can run your oil, send an oil sample in to Blackstone Labs http://www.blackstone-labs.com/around the 3k mile mark. Get the basic wear panel and request the TBN test. That will tell you how healthy your engine is, how dirty your oil is getting, how much additives/acid neutralizer is left, and how much longer you can run the oil for. It's $35 total for the tests. They will send you sample kits for free. You don't have to have it tested all the time either. Do it once and that will give you a general idea of how long you can go between changes, and give you advance notice of any possible internal problems.

There is no 6 month maximum that the oil can stay in the engine. As long as you drive it often enough to get the engine and the oil up to full temp, then it will burn off any water condensation or impurities that might collect in the crank case.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #44
silver01GT
U Mad Bro?

AKA: Lamar G.
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
silver01GT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiracer19 View Post
DO NOT USE FRAM OIL FILTERS, I could go find a thread about people bitching about the inside collapsing and the inside are made pretty much of cardboard... get a k&n, thats what i use... you can get them at walmart or autozone
Back when I was in high school auto, we cut a fram oil filter in half and the filter material pretty much feels like cardboard...so I'll have to agree with Zuki just this once...only this once...I use any filter other than frams. Anyone used royal purple before? I thought about it but I don't know.
silver01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #45
street_fire
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver01GT View Post
Back when I was in high school auto, we cut a fram oil filter in half and the filter material pretty much feels like cardboard...so I'll have to agree with Zuki just this once...only this once...I use any filter other than frams. Anyone used royal purple before? I thought about it but I don't know.
I have only used royal purple for tranny oil in cars and trucks. It's too costly to use it for normal engine oil. I only heard of good things about it tho.
/`/'' ''/` `:-- `--: `\'' ''\`\
/''/ / ///\`. ' ' . /\ \ \//
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #46
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
See, I've heard royal purple is over rated garbage. They don't like it on any of the oil forums, so I won't use it. Mobil1 or Castrol syntec is expensive enough as it is, and is better oil IMO than royal purple.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #47
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
Castrol Edge is very good oil, as is Amsoil.

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
castrol, grand am, mileage, oil