GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs > Help Me Decide

Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
flog_gnaw
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Marc
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am SE
flog_gnaw Gettin' there
I'm new, so don't discriminate

Just wanted to get my name out here, I've got an '02 SE with the good 'ol Ecotec. I'll have pictures up soon of it, it's got some old crappy rims but will soon be getting her new set of shoes! Anyone around the mid-Michigan area?!?!
flog_gnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
flog_gnaw
GAGT - Newbie

flog_gnaw Gettin' there
Also, I've read through a thread on projectors, I've got a brand new set of head light assemblies I ordered in last week and am getting ready to perform a retrofit to them, but do not want to go with HID's. Anyone able to point me in the right direction for a good, but also budget minded set of projectors compatible with halogen bulbs?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
welcome to the site, you should adjust here easily!

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
silver01GT
U Mad Bro?

AKA: Lamar G.
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
silver01GT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by flog_gnaw View Post
Also, I've read through a thread on projectors, I've got a brand new set of head light assemblies I ordered in last week and am getting ready to perform a retrofit to them, but do not want to go with HID's. Anyone able to point me in the right direction for a good, but also budget minded set of projectors compatible with halogen bulbs?
Try eBay and search up projector headlights they're only $100+ I was just on there a couple of days ago browsing around.
silver01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver01GT View Post
Try eBay and search up projector headlights they're only $100+ I was just on there a couple of days ago browsing around.
The ebay ones suck though, and aren't good looking. Cheesy reflector design and LED's that look weird. And they have poor quality lenses and housings that fog up and get hazy, and weak adjusters. He's better off with a proper projector retro-fit.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Why the fk would you go with a retrofit and NOT do HIDs... wtf?

Thats like why 98% of people who do a retrofit so they can be compatible with HIDs. Go with the common route and retrofit to HIDs, you WON'T regret it at all. IMO theres no point to retrofit if your not going with HIDs/HID projectors.

Last edited by TDavis; 08-19-2012 at 11:45 PM.
TDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
flog_gnaw
GAGT - Newbie

flog_gnaw Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
welcome to the site, you should adjust here easily!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
The ebay ones suck though, and aren't good looking. Cheesy reflector design and LED's that look weird. And they have poor quality lenses and housings that fog up and get hazy, and weak adjusters. He's better off with a proper projector retro-fit.
You're right, I WANT to do the proper retrofit, which is why I bought OEM replacement assemblies. Besides, ain't nothing wrong with adding some of my own flair, right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
Why the fk would you go with a retrofit and NOT do HIDs... wtf?

Thats like why 98% of people who do a retrofit so they can be compatible with HIDs. Go with the common route and retrofit to HIDs, you WON'T regret it at all. IMO theres no point to retrofit if your not going with HIDs/HID projectors.
Basically, I just don't feel the need for HID's, maybe I will submit and go with them though. But from what I've read, not all projectors are meant for HID's. Aside from that, all I really want is better light dispersion and a more even pattern when aimed properly. Hell, I'm on the fence about a lot of things with my car though.

Also, if anyone can tell me if the Morimoto Mini's from TRS are compatible with halogen bulbs that'd be awesome because they have yet to e-mail me back!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
The meaning of retrofit is usually to make something better or alike with something. In other words people buy HID projectors and buy all the things they need, like shrouds, harness', HID bulbs, and some other things like mounting brackets and make there stock headlIght Into HID projectors.

I'm guessing you don't know much since your asking if Morimoto's are compatible with halogens when most likely they are for HIDS because "theretrofitsource," which is where I'm guessing u found the morimotos, I would think only sell HID projectors since 98% of people who go there , go for an HID retrofit.

I'll post som pictures of some retrofits on our cars when I get home, I'm at class atm.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
flog_gnaw
GAGT - Newbie

flog_gnaw Gettin' there
Quote:
The meaning of retrofit is usually to make something better or alike with something. In other words people buy HID projectors and buy all the things they need, like shrouds, harness', HID bulbs, and some other things like mounting brackets and make there stock headlIght Into HID projectors.

I'm guessing you don't know much since your asking if Morimoto's are compatible with halogens when most likely they are for HIDS because "theretrofitsource," which is where I'm guessing u found the morimotos, I would think only sell HID projectors since 98% of people who go there , go for an HID retrofit.

I'll post som pictures of some retrofits on our cars when I get home, I'm at class atm.
Well, of course. Just because I want to run projectors doesn't specifically mean that I NEED HID's (Or want them for that matter..). I can already see fine at night to be honest, but it could always be better. I mean, I'm no expert by any means, but I definitely know what I want to do. But from what I've read most projectors aren't made for HID's because of the longer HID bulb, though TRS' Morimoto's are lengthened and made to run HID's unlike most projectors I've ran across. A dude I work with at Belle Tire has a pretty sick Impreza with halogen projectors, but it came from the factory like that. But yea, The Retrofit Source (TRS) is where I found them, well before I even saw the site mentioned on other threads here. So yea, there's my nickel and dime thrown in.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...harness&page=5

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=151220
Old 08-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
flog_gnaw
GAGT - Newbie

flog_gnaw Gettin' there
That first link I've actually got bookmarked in my browser, I know what a retrofit is and have some what of a basic idea of how it's done (Yet to experience it, obviously). Well, not sure what else there is to say about this.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

TDavis a trusted member
Idk which headlights you plan on retrofitting but whatever you plan on doing, Halogen or HID, go with the black housed headlights(2nd link), they look better then stock when retrofitted.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #13
zukiracer19
BoOsTiN'

AKA: slograndam
Vehicle: ev0m0de
zukiracer19 Still kinda new, but learning
We have set guide lines for African Americans, Spanierds and Orients on this forum. Please read.
Quote:
1.) If a minority in the U.S. joins forum, One must get permission to speak.
zukiracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
electricityguy
ManyKV

AKA: Chaz
Vehicle: 99 Grand Am GT
electricityguy Gettin' there
Welcome, and I'm also from mid MI. Lakeview, Edmore area
electricityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
SikMindz
BOLD Yellow

AKA: D
Vehicle: 2003 BMW E39
SikMindz has made plenty of valid pointsSikMindz has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiracer19 View Post
We have set guide lines for African Americans, Spanierds and Orients on this forum. Please read.
It was almost funny until I realized who posted it. Plus—your spelling is terrible.
SikMindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
flog_gnaw
GAGT - Newbie

flog_gnaw Gettin' there
Quote:
Idk which headlights you plan on retrofitting but whatever you plan on doing, Halogen or HID, go with the black housed headlights(2nd link), they look better then stock when retrofitted.
Well, I've got a brand new OEM pair I had shipped to me last week, I put them in today because anticipation gets the best of me sometimes, hell I may just wait it out and save the money for the HID's since I finally got the e-mail from TRS and the jist of it was that their projectors can be modified for halogen bulbs, yet is irreversible SO the way I'm seeing it is I might as well save my money for the whole shebang like you were saying. So much for budget, but eh oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiracer19 View Post
That's too bad, I could've sworn we all bleed the same color anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricityguy View Post
Welcome, and I'm also from mid MI. Lakeview, Edmore area
Thanks!