GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
mobouis100
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Jamaal
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT four
mobouis100 Gettin' there
Exclamation Serpentine Belt not spinning/ leaks coolant when its running

Hello, I have a 2000 grand am gt 4 dr. This weekend i turned my car on and began pulling out of my parking spot, when all of sudden my power steering stopped working along with my a/c unit and the battery light came on in the dash. I was three minutes away from home but right before i pulled into my neighborhood the engine began to overheat, the overheat light came on as I began to park. I turned the car off. A few hours later i turned the car on to troubleshoot and noticed that the serpentine belt wasn't spinning. Then coolant began to leak on the passenger side of the car. So i immediately turned the car off. A few hours later I filled the coolant tank and turned the car on and didnt see a leak, after three minutes i turned it off. I'm hoping its not a intake gasket issues. I checked to see if the exhaust was white and it wasnt and I also checked to see if the oil was milky it wasnt either. Any ideas on what could have stopped the serpentine belt and coolant leak is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I checked the car this morning 9/4/12 and noticed that after running for about five minutes is when the coolant begins to leak and its dripping the bottom of the hose on the right side of coolant tank that goes into a melt part of the engine. I also read that this could be a waterpump issue??

Last edited by mobouis100; 09-04-2012 at 08:27 AM.
mobouis100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Well if the belt isn't spinning that would cause all your issues, because it wouldn't be turning your water pump, your power steering pump, your alternator, or your A/C compressor. The question is, what is causing the belt not to turn.

If the water pump were somehow damaged and jammed it might cause the belt to jam, but I would think it would be more likely the belt would slip on the pulley since the water pump pulley is flat and the crank pulley is ribbed so it has more grip on the belt. It's possible one or more of the other pulleys may also be jammed or turning too stiff. It's also possible the rubber layer in the crank pulley (also called the harmonic damper) has deteriorated and the hub is actually spinning inside the crank pulley and not turning the outer part. I've seen this happen on a couple other cars before. And if the belt isn't turning any of those accessories, none of them will work and the car will overheat.

First thing I'd look at is the crank pulley. Try running the engine and see if the center of the pulley turns but not the rest. Look for bits of rubber or dust in that area. Also inspect your serpentine belt. If it's too old the ribs on it may be worn down and/or the rubber may be stiff and cracked, and it might not be gripping well on the pulleys. They are supposed to be replaced every 80k-100k miles anyway.

Another possibility is your belt tensioner could be broken. It's not uncommon on these cars. The stock one has a weak case that cracks and allows the internal spring to move which makes it weaker so the belt doesn't grip and can slip. If that's the case, you can replace it with an aftermarket one from the auto parts store that is stronger. I have a dayco brand tensioner from advance auto parts that has a stronger case design and spring. You can take the belt off by using a 3/8" drive breaker bar or ratchet to push the tensioner back and slip the belt off an idler pulley. Then use a 15mm socket to take the bolt out that goes through the center and the tensioner will come right off. You can inspect that and the belt at the same time. Also try turning all the other pulleys on the engine by hand to see if they spin freely or make any weird noises.

Last edited by AaronGTR; 09-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
mobouis100
GAGT - Newbie

mobouis100 Gettin' there
I'm guessing since the serpentine belt isn't spinning it finally caused my battery to die after turning it on for the fifth time?? I just went out to check to see if the middle pulley was spinning but I couldn't since the car wouldn't start, because of the battery I'm guessing. I did notice that two of the pulleys spun rather easily, while two of the others were kind of hard to turn. Also, the serpentine belt did seem loose on some areas especially at the top pulley.

I was also wondering could this belt/pulley issue also be the cause of the car leaking coolant when it is on for about five minutes?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
mobouis100
GAGT - Newbie

mobouis100 Gettin' there
Question Can broken Serpentine belt cause coolant leak?

Hello, I have a 2000 grand am gt 4 dr. This weekend i turned my car on and began pulling out of my parking spot, when all of sudden my power steering stopped working along with my a/c unit and the battery light came on in the dash. I was three minutes away from home but right before i pulled into my neighborhood the engine began to overheat, the overheat light came on as I began to park. I turned the car off. A few hours later i turned the car on to troubleshoot and noticed that the serpentine belt wasn't spinning. Then coolant began to leak on the passenger side of the car. So i immediately turned the car off. A few hours later I filled the coolant tank and turned the car on and didnt see a leak, after three minutes i turned it off. I'm hoping its not a intake gasket issues. I checked to see if the exhaust was white and it wasnt and I also checked to see if the oil was milky it wasnt either. Any ideas on what could have stopped the serpentine belt and coolant leak is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I checked the car this morning 9/4/12 and noticed that after running for about five minutes is when the coolant begins to leak and its dripping out of the bottom of the hose on the right side of coolant tank that goes into a melt part of the engine. I also read that this could be a waterpump issue??
Old 09-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
optional toast
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: w
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
optional toast Gettin' there
wait, so is the belt spinning properly now or no? i'll comment on the leak issue but as far as the belt not spinning you'll need to get an opinion from someone more experienced.

i am by no means an expert here but it sounds like if the leak is not the tank or the hose itself it could be the water pump. mine went bad a few months ago and began leaking pretty bad from the bottom. if that's all it is, it's a pretty easy DIY fix and the pump is cheap.

i'd take off the serpentine belt and try spinning the pump pulley by hand. if its not a smooth movement or if it sounds rough then that would further confirm my suspicions. really though you need to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from.

EDIT: Serpentine Belt not spinning/ leaks coolant when its running

Last edited by optional toast; 09-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
optional toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
mobouis100
GAGT - Newbie

mobouis100 Gettin' there
Thanks a lot for replying. I have only had the car two weeks and I really love it. But the Serpentine Belt isn't running and the coolant is leaking from a hose that is on the right side of the coolant tank. It goes down vertically into a metal piece of the car. I'm not sure if that is an overflow hose or something else but thats where its coming from. I also can't turn the car on anymore because the battery has died so I can't see if the pulleys are spinning and the belt is to blame.

The only time the car leaks the coolant is when it is on for about five minutes. Was that similar to when your waterpump went out?

Last edited by mobouis100; 09-04-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Going postal?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #8
mobouis100
GAGT - Newbie

mobouis100 Gettin' there
TDavis no not at all, I just miss driving my car and hoping someone can help me out before I go postal haha
Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Uh, yes.... I just said that. If the belt isn't turning, it's not turning the water pump and the car will overheat.

Edit: Merged the two threads. It's not necessary to start another thread for the same problem. Keep it in one thread.

Last edited by AaronGTR; 09-04-2012 at 09:46 PM.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #10
1/2dolla
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2001GT1coupe
1/2dolla Gettin' there
yes mobouis please listen to Aaron. Fix the serpentine belt issue and your problem with the coolant will go away
1/2dolla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, coolant problems, engine, head gasket, leak, serpentine, waterpump