GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications) > Custom Tuning

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantAm View Post
I would have to say engine and chassis. I know all moving parts are subject to wear, but I am not sure which parts take the biggest beating. If I could, I would like to put more wear-resistant, or "stronger", parts in if they exist. I already baby the car. If I put in better parts I can make it last, which would be ideal in my situation.

Here in the South the principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is very common. But if I can afford to be proactive, why not be? I may not be able to afford it later.

But I get what everybody's main point is here.

Any more suggestions?
You realize there's a quote button...because all your quotes don't show names.

Anyway, I guess you're just talking about aftermarket replacement parts. Moog comes to mind for suspension/steering replacement parts. You could use polyurethane bushings as well.

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
I did not think they were "knocking" me. I was simply letting the two know they did not address the topic, which is "Reliability Upgrades". And I did not give myself another option. Does not the title of the thread signify that I am seeking upgrades that may increase the reliability (or otherwise extend the life) of my Grand Am?

Why would I start this thread if I thought "older guys" were idiots? I don't mean any harm, but I tend to clarify myself when misunderstood. But hey, I am only a child, right? I don't think I know everything, that's why I'm here.

I honestly appreciate the feedback. I will make sure I am more clear about my question if I start a thread in the future.

Any more suggestions?
Well, they kinda did address the topic. They told you there aren't any... and there really isn't much, with the possible exception of using good oil. For the most part, anything you "modify" is going to be less reliable. As they said, just do good maintenance on it and it will last the longest.

Quote:
So, performance mods have no affect on reliability?

Edit: I never said I am opposed to performance mods, but that I'm not worried about going faster, just increasing reliability. I know how it sounds. I guess I should have asked "What performance mods increase reliability?", huh?
Yes, performance mods do have an affect on reliability, and on fuel mileage too, so if that's what you are after, I don't recommend installing any performance mods.

Fluids are one of the most essential things to a cars life. You can change the oil to a quality synthetic (only use the recommend 5W30) and a good filter (NOT fram!). You can drain the trans fluid and change the filter, because most owners never do it and it DOES need to be changed, then refill it with the newest Dexron VI instead of the old Dexron III and that may help the trans life. Most owners never flush the brake fluid or power steering fluid either, then wonder why their brake lines rust and their power steering racks leak or break. Bleed the brakes and get new fluid through the system, and have the PS fluid flushed and refilled as well (you can do it yourself if you have the know how). Flush and change the coolant if it's never been done and has over 60k miles on it.

I can't think of much else you can replace that's actually better than stock. The case of the stock tensioners cracks sometimes, and you can get a dayco brand belt tensioner from the auto parts store that has a thicker case and a stronger spring. If your stock one isn't bouncing and rattling though, it's not broke so don't replace it. Some people also like the monroe upper strut mounts better than OEM's, but again you won't see a performance difference with any of these things, so if they don't need to be replaced don't bother.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #23
GrandAmMe
It's Personal...

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 2006 Saab 93 Aero
GrandAmMe Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to GrandAmMe
Don't be afraid to give it a little WOT throttle every once in a while. It helps keep the carbon out of the engine and keep things 'clean'. Sure I may be 18, but when I opened up my 3400 that was owned by a little old man, the Carbon inside that thing was disgusting. I would be surprised to see if it ever hit 3k rpm at any given time in its life.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
You can clean the upper end using the Seafoam, but that is so much a "works great"/"no it's snake oil" topic that I skipped it.

I personally use it, in everything. I also only use synthetic oil in the GA, and have some older mechanical buds and just random folks tell me "it's not a corvette, regular oil is fine." I smile and nod, and have a hundred thousand mile motor with no ticks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #25
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Logan
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
You can clean the upper end using the Seafoam, but that is so much a "works great"/"no it's snake oil" topic that I skipped it.

I personally use it, in everything. I also only use synthetic oil in the GA, and have some older mechanical buds and just random folks tell me "it's not a corvette, regular oil is fine." I smile and nod, and have a hundred thousand mile motor with no ticks.
I use synthetic as well. I completely agree.
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #26
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
I made that sound like I'm thinking the GA is because racecar;

I don't use synth oil in my riding mower, or my beater truck. I've used it in my Jimmy, Sorento, and Borrego... and the Camaro. So I guess I should've made that more clear my bad.
But yea, the synth oil is better, I can hear the difference in the motor, I believe what I see and hear
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
I used to use snythetic in mine.

Then I stopped caring so much.

Still runs fine.

Problem, ricers?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #28
WidbyJ
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jesse
Vehicle: 1999 Malibu S/C
WidbyJ Gettin' there
Synthetic engine oils, maybe with a remote mounted larger oil filter. Change filters often. As mentioned above, flush all fluids and replace every 50k or 3 years. Dex VI is much better than the old stuff, don't forget the trans filter also. Run good quality fuel and change that filter regularly. If not done yet, be prepared to have a good quality aftermarket CAT installed. Bushings and struts are probably worn, poly replacements are good but a tad harsher. Lots of things can be done to increase power but none will really increase longevity much. Best wishes!
WidbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
GrantAm
Yes, "Grant"

AKA: Grant
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am GT Coupe
GrantAm Gettin' there
So nothing is better than stock? (in terms of reliability)

I thought that was improbable, but 10/4.
GrantAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #30
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

It's pretty much this:

>Keep stock and maintain
>Modify and maintain with different variables

Pick one.

Problem, ricers?

Tags
reliability, upgrades