GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
jlcargill
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Jeremy
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
jlcargill Gettin' there
Cracked Head

I think I have a cracked head. It is a 2001 Grand Am GT with 157K miles on it. Is it worth fixing or should I sell as is. I did LIM last summer now this. What would it be worth as is?? The car is in great shape other then engine at this point. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
jlcargill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
it depends if you're able to fix it yourself. so y do you think the head cracked open? pictures help too

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter
-still LOUD AS FCK though

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
-probably less than 1000 miles on it in the last 3 years...
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
What makes you think you have a cracked head? Have you done a compression test or anything yet? Anything visible?

Whether it's worth fixing or not... that really depends. If you can find a used head somewhere or pick one up at the junk yard, and if you are capable of doing it yourself, then it's not that expensive of a fix. Really just takes time. If you've done the LIM gaskets, you are practically to the point of removing the heads. Only other things you have to do is remove rockers, push rods, and lifters which is pretty easy... and unbolt the exhaust manifolds, which can be a bit more of a pain depending on how rusty the studs are. If you break one though, heck you are taking the head off anyway so should be easy to fix.

To reinstall the head though you'll need new head bolts and a good torque wrench. Bolts have to be torqued in a specific order to a specific spec.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
jlcargill
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Jeremy
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Sedan
jlcargill Gettin' there
I am overheating and getting bubbles in overflow tank for coolant, exhaust coming out by spark plug, white exhaust smoke, and loss of compression, and misfire on a cylinder. Pretty sure it is the head or possibly a gasket. But it probably got damaged last time I overheated from LIM failure.
jlcargill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
sugar ray
GAGT - Member

AKA: Sean
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am
sugar ray Gettin' there
at this stage their would be only one way to confirm 100%. Just pull the suspect head!! You have already done a LIM so you know what your up against. When I did my LIM I also did the head gaskets. Did it need it?? maybe not but......it's one of those things that while your in there you might as well.

maybe you will get lucky and it will only be the gasket
sugar ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, head, lim