GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
HIDObsessed
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: William
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM GT
HIDObsessed Gettin' there
Coolant gushing out of overflow

hello,

my original problem was my 99 grand am gt was overheating. head gaskets were replaced. overheating issue fixed, when i turned off the car, it immediately started pushing out coolant out of the overflow hose from the tank. found out that the engine was still getting hot but not overheating bad. steam was rolling out of the overflow hose and coolant. then added a fan mod switch to make ONE fan ALWAYS run at high speed(idk if thats bad or not). Then it doesn't do it as bad. But I found a last problem with coolant being pushed out of the overflow sometimes and I was told by a mechanic since the cap on the overflow tank is kinda messed up like cross threaded. that, that could be the issue. Does this sound correct?
HIDObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
Did you over fill the coolant tank? If you did its going to push out the extra coolant in there.

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
HIDObsessed
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: William
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM GT
HIDObsessed Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
Did you over fill the coolant tank? If you did its going to push out the extra coolant in there.
nope not overfilled
HIDObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
kzulfic
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Kameron
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am SE2
kzulfic Gettin' there
Thermostat opening? Could be a head gasket too but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.
kzulfic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #5
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDObsessed View Post
hello,

my original problem was my 99 grand am gt was overheating. head gaskets were replaced. overheating issue fixed, when i turned off the car, it immediately started pushing out coolant out of the overflow hose from the tank. found out that the engine was still getting hot but not overheating bad. steam was rolling out of the overflow hose and coolant. then added a fan mod switch to make ONE fan ALWAYS run at high speed(idk if thats bad or not). Then it doesn't do it as bad. But I found a last problem with coolant being pushed out of the overflow sometimes and I was told by a mechanic since the cap on the overflow tank is kinda messed up like cross threaded. that, that could be the issue. Does this sound correct?
If the reservior tank cap isn't fitting right then yes you need to fix that and the best way is to replace the tank. This problem is very common on GA's and in fact I just replaced the tank on mine last week. Sometimes a new cap alone will help but not if the tank threads are damaged. You should not have modified the fan because you are interferring with the normal operation of the cooling system. If the fans aren't coming on or working properly then that's a different issue and can be corrected, but the PCM controls fan operation for proper cooling.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, heat, overflow, overheat, tank