MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - News > Auto News & Rumors

Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
pauljs75
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2001 Grand AM GT Sedan
pauljs75 Gettin' there
Smile The Alcan Highway Vid...

Some people might get a kick if they're into Regular Car Reviews.

https://youtu.be/n8ak8VPxxeg

Yeah hardly touched on the car which is a bit of a disappointment, it's more of a video talking about a road trip but with none of the actual road trip. But given the condition it's a bit more into the beater tier than well-kept, I wonder if we'll ever see the drive? Yet it stacks on the miles with no ****s given so that says something.

Still in my opinion, there's still some out there that are nice enough and kept up and I think a better review would involve one with fresh shocks and brakes so it can be driven in non-mushy "sat on the shelf too long" form. I know there's still plenty out there that don't look like much but would tear it up on the curvy roads.
pauljs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #2
young gun
GRAD SCHOOL FUN

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
Stock still handles like crap sooooooo I don't see the point. As with anything you can modify it to be better!

But omg I want his dash NO WARPAGE!!!

2008 - Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Slip on exhaust, K&N, Jetted, Sprockets, Lowered and the Girlfriend's now

1984 - Honda Nighthawk 700s - Oldest, quickest and quietess
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member
I think these cars were decent for the time.
Sure, new cars are nicer, but these cars haven't been made in over a freakin' decade!!!!! I think if I took better care of mine and left it mechanically stock it'd be much more reliable.
Built 3400/3500 V6 hybrid, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, AP Racing brakes, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Click here to see my Wheelwell profile
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
But we will still have love for these cars. Lol I got my grand am when I was 16... I'm old
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
pauljs75
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2001 Grand AM GT Sedan
pauljs75 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by young gun View Post
Stock still handles like crap sooooooo I don't see the point. As with anything you can modify it to be better!

But omg I want his dash NO WARPAGE!!!
Handling? Depends by what you mean in regards to stock? Two factory options I know of. FE3 (not worn out - the cars are old now) the car sits flat when you throw it around, the tradeoff is you get hammered a bit in the booty. It's a bit harsh. FE2 is definitely marshmellow, and what makes cruising comfy does suck for handling. It also seems unless you specify, most places that replace springs/shocks will go with the mushy crap.

As for handling mods? Car could be purposely looser in the rear to counter the FWD characteristic of understeer, and cross-brace for the front strut towers would also improve it. Probably do those before going all out with adjustable aftermarket tuner suspension stuff.

As for the dash, seems to be a thing once you cross the Mason-dixon line. Those 3-digit summer temps cook that particular plastic. Didn't have any problems with my dash until I spent one summer in Texas. If you're in the south, that dash would probably go within one summer.
pauljs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
young gun
GRAD SCHOOL FUN

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljs75 View Post
Handling? Depends by what you mean in regards to stock? Two factory options I know of. FE3 (not worn out - the cars are old now) the car sits flat when you throw it around, the tradeoff is you get hammered a bit in the booty. It's a bit harsh. FE2 is definitely marshmellow, and what makes cruising comfy does suck for handling. It also seems unless you specify, most places that replace springs/shocks will go with the mushy crap.

As for handling mods? Car could be purposely looser in the rear to counter the FWD characteristic of understeer, and cross-brace for the front strut towers would also improve it. Probably do those before going all out with adjustable aftermarket tuner suspension stuff.

As for the dash, seems to be a thing once you cross the Mason-dixon line. Those 3-digit summer temps cook that particular plastic. Didn't have any problems with my dash until I spent one summer in Texas. If you're in the south, that dash would probably go within one summer.
Yes stock it is no sports car, but it was a fine car.

obviously anything can be modded.

Mine began peeling up north(NY) and I have only been in SC for 4 months and even with a brand new sun screen that blocks the entire front window, it is peeling even worse now I need to figure something out for the future. Probably fiberglass with some type material of covering over it as I wouldn't want the gloss finish

2008 - Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Slip on exhaust, K&N, Jetted, Sprockets, Lowered and the Girlfriend's now

1984 - Honda Nighthawk 700s - Oldest, quickest and quietess
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
I'll just demand answers since I'm too lazy to look, is that Adam Corrola? I'm pretty sure that's spelled wrong. But sounds like him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska, review, video, youtube