GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 08-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #1
JWeavis
[H]ard-Mod

AKA: Jason
Vehicle: G6 GTP
JWeavis Gettin' there
Send a message via ICQ to JWeavis Send a message via AIM to JWeavis Send a message via MSN to JWeavis Send a message via Yahoo to JWeavis
Tire Database... New and Improved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jung View Post
Summer Tires:

Provides the greatest traction in the dry.
(Some summer tires also provide excellent wet traction. But it depends on the tread pattern & the rubber compound.)
But only at temperatures above 7C/45F.
(Below that temperature: use other tires, like winter tires.)

All-Season (M+S) Tires:

Is really a misunderstood tire category.
As it is really good for only 3-seasons.
It is a compromise of both summer & winter tires; but does not perform as good as either of them.
But usually they seem to work better than summer tires in cold wet conditions.
All-Season tires stop sticking to the road at about -10C/14F.
Just because it is an all-season rated tire: It does not mean anything for winter/snow performance.
Because all it means in tread pattern is mathematically, the tire must have 25% of the tire with tread grooves.
That is why some all-season tires suck to be driven in the snow.

Note: One of the only tire that is all-season, that meets the winter tire rating is the Nokian WR tire.
It is more biased to winter traction than all-season.
But still is not as good as Nokian's Hakkapeliitta hard-core winter line.

Winter Tires:

There are different categories of winter tires, but they must all meet & receive this spec:

Winter tires generally stick to the pavement down to -30C/-22F.

The different categories are:
Winter Performance
Snow & Ice
Ice & Snow

Winter performance tires are higher speed rated with stiffer sidewalls & made for wet traction.
They perform much better in cold dry pavement than other winter tires.
They usually wear less than hard-core winter tires on dry pavement.
Their weakness is they perform less in deep snow & ice traction.

Snow & Ice tires priority is in deep snow traction & some ice traction.
They usually only have a Q-speed rating & have softer sidewalls.
They will wear out fast driven on dry pavement (especially if it is not cold outside).

Ice & Snow tires priority is ice traction & some snow traction.
Have similar characteristics to snow & ice tires, but bias towards for ice traction.

Even if there is no snow on the ground (like living in the city); winter tires provide superior traction in cold weather temperatures.

Generally steel wheels are better than aluminum wheels in the winter:
Because steel wheels weigh more than aluminum wheels, for more traction.
Snow & ice won't freeze up on steel wheels; like in the opening of aluminum wheels (it sucks to drive around with snow & ice frozen on the aluminum wheels, causing them to be out of balance )

Handle pot holes better (steel is stronger than aluminum).
& are cheaper to replace than aluminum, if damaged.

All tires in general provide the same traction at 7C/45F.

Summer tires provide better traction above 7C/45F & winter tires provide better traction below 7C/45F.

(Of course all-season tires provide better traction than summer tires below 7C/45F; but no where as good as winter tires.)

Since the old forum is gone (which contained a lot of great tire info) I want to create a database of tire options. Please only post tires you have used and please post in this format.

Brand: Goodyear
Model: Eagle RS-A
Size: 225/50-VR16
Rating: (Can't rate, they're the only thing I've driven on since '99, my z-24 had them too).
Comments: Wish they were stickier and would perform better in the rain & snow.
Picture: http://www.jweavis.com/gagt/images/N...Pics%20017.jpg

Brand: Bridgestone
Model: Potenza RE950
Size: 225/50/16
Rating: 9/10
Comments about your tires: Family discount @ discount for $100 each. All around great tires. Great in wet, dry, and snowy conditions. I've had them for almost 10k miles now and would never go back!
*Update - 4/03* - Tires are still going strong and I'm lovin' every minute of it. Worked great this winter!

Picture: http://www.jweavis.com/gagt/images/got_gap2.jpg
Picture: http://www.jweavis.com/gagt/images/new_tires1.jpg

* Tire/Wheel Size Calculator *
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Last edited by Rich; 01-27-2007 at 10:25 AM.
JWeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:46 AM   #2
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member
Copy of my review from the Tire Rack:

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position - 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS Sedan - Rockford, IL
Driving Style: Fast and Aggressive - Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Rating: 8.57 out of 10 - Review Submitted 2002-08-19
Size: 225/45ZR17 91Y
Comments:Purchased these to replace Potenza RE730's in the same size, which I wore out in 8000 miles. The S-03's seem to be a resounding improvement in every way. Dry traction is on par with the RE730, but when the roads get wet is where the S-03's really shine - handling and grip are just as confident in the wet as in dry conditions. Very good steering response, but could use a bit more sidewall stiffness. Surprisingly, for a "Max Performance" tire, the S-03 rides very quietly and comfortably, despite the highly modified suspension on this vehicle. But don't even think of driving with them in the snow. Bonus: price is very reasonable compared to other tires in this size and category. Two big thumbs up.
Currently without an engine, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, a few suspension and brake bits, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 10:45 AM.
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:29 AM   #3
Sorry_Officer
Bouncy, Bouncy....

Vehicle: 98' Civic CTR CX
Sorry_Officer Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to Sorry_Officer
Model: Potenza Pole Postition S03's
Size: 225/45/17
Rating: 9
Comments: Just as Matt stated above, excellent in every category. Dry, Wet, Looks, Feeling, all A+. I have grown up with nothing but performance tires with my dad always having the tricked out cars and this tire is definitely one of the best. I would probably pee my pants before these tires would let me down. Especially in the wet traction category..........when I first drove these in the rain I seriously was speechless, I could have raced a vette and won just on tire grip alone. A bit pricey if you don't have connections but definitely worth every penny if you are willing to trade off tread life for performance.
Sorry_Officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 01:06 PM   #4
qwik99gt
Internet Thug 4 Life

Vehicle: Black '99 GAGT Sedan
qwik99gt Gettin' there
Brand: Yokohama
Model: YK420 (Discount tire exclusive)
Size:225/55/17
Rating: 8
Comments about your tires: Excellent low-cost, TRUE all-season tire. Wet and dry traction are much better than the RSA's, and snow traction as at least twice the Goodyears. These tires also last quite well,too. Major downfalls: 1)not a great handling tire (part of this is due to my 55 aspect ratio) and 2) Not the wildest looking tread. If you want phreaky looking tires get the Yokohama Paradas
qwik99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 08:53 PM   #5
nnewton123
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 1999 Alero GLS Sedan
nnewton123 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to nnewton123

Model: AVS DB
Size: 225/40-18
Rating: 8.5/10
Comments about your tires: Great all season tire (not used in winter). Handling is far better than the Goodyear Eagle LS's on dry and wet surfaces. Tires have approximately 12k on them right now and have a ton of tread left. These tires are also much quieter than many other tires of similar size. Very similar noise level to the stock tires.

Picture: http://www.n-body.net/registry/nnewt...ires_copy2.jpg

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 10:48 AM.
nnewton123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 09:21 PM   #6
scooby2
Go Steelers!

Vehicle: 1999 GrandAm SE2 Coupe
scooby2 Gettin' there
Model: Potenza RE950
Size: 225/55/16
Comments about your tires: Unreal traction in wet weather and and a ton better then the stock GY Eagle tires in snow. I've had them for almost 15k miles now and would never go back!

Update: After 41k miles (yes i'm probably rough on them) they are toast. No place local seems to have them in stock so looking at tire rack.

Last edited by scooby2; 06-24-2003 at 08:16 PM.
scooby2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 07:57 AM   #7
irishfiend
O-G SpaceshipBrother

Vehicle: 00GAGT Silvermist 4Dr
irishfiend Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to irishfiend

Brand: Toyo
Model: Proxes FZ4
Size: 225-50-V16
Driving: Mostly suburb combo of city and some expressway; aggressive driving style
Comments: great tire. i like them better than my Eagle RS-As which wore out pathetically early for what is supposed to be such a high quality tire. They're not that much more sticky for being a V speed rated tire, but they kick the RS-As butts in wet weather traction. I prefer unidirectional tread anyway. Cost is half of an RS-A anyway.

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 10:51 AM.
irishfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 03:24 PM   #8
badassgrandam99
Original Owner

AKA: Steve
Vehicle: '99GAGT/'09 Malibu LTZ
badassgrandam99 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to badassgrandam99

Model: Potenza RE 730
Size: 225/45ZR17
Rating: 8
Comments: ...these tires grip really well and performance is great...car handles much better in rain with these than with my stock Goodyears... got them for $135 a piece which i would assume is pricey, but i think it well worth it... my only gripe is that the road noise between 55mph and 60mph is really bad... but i expected that with low profile tires...

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 10:56 AM.
badassgrandam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:04 PM   #9
GreenGT3
GA out/Tiburon in

Vehicle: 04 Hyundai tiburon V6
GreenGT3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GreenGT3 Send a message via Yahoo to GreenGT3

Brand: BF Goodrich
Model: Comp T/A's HR4
Size: 225/50/HR16
Rating: Not sure on the rating
Comments: For only $115 each from a Wal-Mart tire & lube They are a good all around tire. The only compliant that I have is they make a screaching noise when i take a turn a bit hard. Then again they are H speed rating unlike the stock RSA's that were Z rated. They have good traction and handling for an H rating tire. I would deffinatly buy them again if I was low on cash, like when I got them.

Green

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 10:58 AM.
GreenGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:10 PM   #10
jaketuff
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
jaketuff Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to jaketuff

Brand : Kumho
Model : Ecsta Supra 712
Size : 225/50/16
Rating : 9.5/10
Comments : A very good tire. It has an excellent tolerance for treadwear relative to other performance tires. It's tread pattern is excellent for wet weather. And the speed rating is solid as well - VR. For the money they seem like a very good tire and are way ahead of the comparable Nitto 455, in price and in durability. They cost around $100 on the internet.

My one gripe is that the sidewalls look tall on the tires, especially compared to the Goodyear RS-A's. It is just in the way that Kumho decided to do the writing on the sidewall. But when you have all four on your car the look will be balanced and more appealing.

***UPDATE January 2006 - CT Hills / Near a Mountain Ski Resort... Reflection.

I used these tires in a run up 30* grades IN THE SNOW. It was a trek, but the car made it up these grades on 2 inches of packed snow and ice. I drove this night-drive for 60 miles in these horrific 'the shining'-like conditions. With care and masterful driving I did not lose any control of my motor vehicle. Yes, quite yes, I was in the Grand Am, with 100k miles, H&R drop, NextLevel RSB - and a broken-in transmission, coupled with a crippling near the "E" gas depletion situation in the middle of focking nowhere. Bearing the burden of a full load of passengers I would have certainly preferred a softer sidewall, and perhaps more tread than my Kuhmo's then modest baldness (30k mile wear). However, if you have patience and superb driving aptitude, perhaps you can repeat my extraordinary usability of these tires.

I give myself a 10.
I give the Kuhmos 712s a 7 in the dry/wet.
I give the Kuhmo 712s a 5 in the snow.

JOUT

2013 Mercedes ML350 !ACHTUNG! Es ist Shtock
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe : CAI, Manifold Spacer
2004 Pontiac GTO : Mild Mods, and Tuned ... 13.1 @ 107.5 PB
1992 Mustang LX : TT, 351, IC, Alky, Gears - 400HP/500lbs-ft ... MONSTER
1991 Mustang GT : GT40 H/I, Bullitt Wheels, New Paint

Last edited by jaketuff; 01-21-2007 at 02:00 PM.
jaketuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:33 PM   #11
RAMAIR1
Sweet sound of boost

Vehicle: '99 GAGT; '86 Buick GN
RAMAIR1 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to RAMAIR1
Re: Tire Database

Brand: Michelin
Model: XGT-V4
Size: 225/50-VR16
Rating: As close to 10 as they come.
Comments: I wore them out too quickly because I left them up front. I had crap RS/A's on the rear.
When I put these tires on (bent rims and all!) I lost almost all of my front end vibration problem casued by GM's sh!t rotors....believe it or not!

I'm now riding on Kumho Ecsta Supra's because they came with my second hand 17" rims. BTW I am VERY impressed with the Kumho's, they are MUCH better than I ever imagined they would be. Maybe I should rate them too....

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 11:01 AM.
RAMAIR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 01:02 PM   #12
Craig99SE2
Mr. Know It All

AKA: Craig
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE Coupe
Craig99SE2 Gettin' there
Re: Re: Tire Database

Quote:
Originally posted by RAMAIR1
[b]Brand: Michelin
Model: XGT-V4
I wore them out too quickly because I left them up front. I had crap RS/A's on the rear.
No, the XGT-V4 tires are known for quick wear! I had them on my old Stang and they lasted a whole 4 months in the back! Replaced them with BFG Comp T/A VR4's ... best American tire I ever owned! They grip better than the "old" ZR's, but I have not tried the new ZR redesign yet.

-Craig
Project 13-Second NA GASE - 1999 Grand Am SE - RSM Heads,UIM,LIM,62mm TB,AFE Filter,RSM WAI,TOGs,DynoMax Hi-Flo Cat,SLP,DynoMax,ASE Chip,Mobil 1,Accel DIS,Taylor Wires,Denso Iridium,Hyper Ground,FFP Pulley,B&M SuperCooler,RedLine D4 ATF,Poly Drivetrain Mounts - Estimated 250HP ... Dyno Charts Soon!
Craig99SE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 03:12 PM   #13
cwcole
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2001 Pontiac Grand AM
cwcole Gettin' there

Model: AVS ES100
Size: 225/50/WR16
Comments: I have not put that many miles on them yet, but I can tell that they handle better than the stock Goodyears.

Because of the stiffer sidewalls, fast cornering moves the body of the car more and does not allow the tire to flex. At high speeds the tires get very warm and the tread becomes gummy and sticky. Lane changes at 70mph+ are a breaze. At higher speeds the car is more stable on the road. I was very impressed with the ride. The tires absorb most of the bumps, they can be felt in the car but are not mushy and do not rattle the car cabin.

I just drove in a nice Texas Rain Storm. The tires gripped the road like it was dry. This made it easy to make a 90 degree turn onto a faster moving street.

Update: Unfortunately I lost my car in accident, but I do believe these tires helped me to avoid the car that changed lanes in front of me. Too bad the passive ABS could not help me avoid the k-rail.

These tires wore extremely fast I had them on for about 2 yrs, and put about 20,000 miles on them. They were loosing there water traction fast and would have been replaced in the summer.

Conclusion: They are cheap and perform well, rotate them often (every 4-6,000 miles), but expect to replace them at about 30,000 miles.

Last edited by cwcole; 04-28-2004 at 08:29 AM.
cwcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 11:36 AM   #14
apolloGT

Brand: Dunlop
Model: SP5000
Size: 225/50-ZR16
Rating: 10
Comments: Amazing wet/dry traction, sticky as hell, fast wear.

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2002, 02:51 PM   #15
Kitt
$11k Accident Club

AKA: Michael
Vehicle: '00 GT & '05 GTO
Kitt Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Kitt Send a message via Yahoo to Kitt
Anyone ever hear of Riken Raptors? I need new tires this weekend and I was quoted these at 380 AA A ratings. Said made by Michelin but i have never heard of these tires before. Any ideas?
Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 03:03 AM   #16
RAMAIR1
Sweet sound of boost

Vehicle: '99 GAGT; '86 Buick GN
RAMAIR1 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to RAMAIR1
This probably wasn't the place to post that question, but yes, I have heard of them. I don't recall if they are made by Michelin, but I have doubts. Don't recall if they were any good either. Guess it matters on the price and your budget!
Old 10-26-2002, 05:06 AM   #17
Kitt
$11k Accident Club

AKA: Michael
Vehicle: '00 GT & '05 GTO
Kitt Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Kitt Send a message via Yahoo to Kitt
Yea ive decided to go for the Proxis FZ4s. On sale for the same price and ive heard of them. Plus the review is on here too. SO ill post mine up after a week or so of driving.
Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 07:06 PM   #18
Haulin'GT

Thumbs up Dunlop tires

Just replaced the OEM RS-As with Dunlop SP Sport A2. In addition to the increased traction (the Goodyears had 55,000 miles on them), I also noticed the rubbing noise that was so prominent at low speeds is now gone. No opportunity yet to try the tires on a twisty road. I've had this model of Dunlop on a previous car (1996 Plymouth Breeze) and they were excellent, providing good wet and dry traction, wear and handling.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:19 AM   #19
Irate
Irasshaimase

AKA: Rob
Vehicle: its "vehico"
Irate Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Irate Send a message via Yahoo to Irate
Re: Tire Database

Brand: Nitto
Model: NT 555 Extreme
Size: 235/40ZR-18
Comments: Very sticky, great road-holding character... runs well in rain = good traction, almost 0 hydroplaning

Last edited by Irate; 02-17-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Irate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 10:01 AM   #20
shutter27

Brand: Phantom (by BFGoodrich)

Model: Phantom ZRX

Size: 225/50ZR-16

Comments: Amazing traction for a Z rated tire in rain, great handling, they were only $115 each too!

Last edited by shutter27; 11-21-2002 at 10:19 AM.