GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 12-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
Did a Brake Fluid Flush Today

Before is in the bottle to the right. after is in the turkey baster in the brake fluid reservoir. I've never changed it or had it flushed. I'd say it was long over due.

if you guys need to do a brake flush and done know how, I followed this video. well all except the tubing, I had to get a little bigger. I think I ended up using 5/16 ID tubing. also make sure to use heat on the bleeder screws if there stuck.

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
geldartb
With the quickness

AKA: Brendan
Vehicle: 03 Outback H6
geldartb has made plenty of valid pointsgeldartb has made plenty of valid points
this is on my list of things to do..kinda waiting till i swap tires since i really don't feel like pulling the tires off more than i have to..

i have the adapter for my motive power bleeder so i can do it on my subaru, also had the adapter for gm stuff..

fyi if your fluid is black it's not working the way its' suppose to.. since brake fluid absorbs moisture..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMindz View Post
Well you shouldn't have left your laptop exposed when there was a chance of golden showers...
geldartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
young gun
ON THAT WORK GRIND

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
Number one thing on my list of to dos! Looks like you needed it!

2008 - Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Slip on exhaust, K&N, Jetted, Sprockets, Lowered and the Girlfriend's now

1984 - Honda Nighthawk 700s - Oldest, quickest and quietess
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
geldartb
With the quickness

geldartb has made plenty of valid pointsgeldartb has made plenty of valid points
seriously if your brake fluid is dark change it..99% of the people out there never touch it.. dark means it's not performing to what it's rated for...

Quote:
Well you shouldn't have left your laptop exposed when there was a chance of golden showers...
Old 12-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Metallman56
Bears Fan

A few things

first it was easier to do than i thought. But i would recommend having a buddy that can tell you when the fluid turns clear.

also i know my fluid looks black in the pic but its really more like dark green. Still bad though.

Last thing is that i did end up breaking off the bleeder screw on my passengers front.so there is still old fluid in there. Money is tight with Christmas right now so it will have to wait for a little while to replace it. Heat is your friend.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
Metallman56
Bears Fan

Wifes brake fluid on the left mone on the right. Hers is oit of a 08 ford escape. Im not sure if it has ever been flushed before, we bought it last year. These pictures show the green tint a little better for mine. Hers was like a dark amber color.

Old 12-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
geldartb
With the quickness

yours looks like antifreeze... dark amber is still ok..i mean yours definitely needed to be changed..

mines pretty dark in the subaru but that will get done when i change tires..

i went the motive power bleeder route since getting people to be a spotter for me is like pulling teeth. no one ever wants to come over...so i picked up one of these in the link below..

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

i did the hand pump on my power steering fluid which in subaru land is just ATF..was pretty dark when it came out..

Quote:

Last edited by geldartb; 12-13-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, I always tell people.... fluids are the life blood of a car. Keeping the fluids in good shape will help everything else last longer. Oil, transmission fluid, power steering, brake fluid... they all have a finite life and need to be replaced and maintained on a regular schedule.

Brake fluid will absorb water and dirt, around fittings and seals, and through the metal lines themselves. New fluid is light brown. Darker brown is okay, but starting to get dirty. Green definitely is in need of replacement. It should be flushed at least every 3 years. Every year or more often if you are doing performance driving, track outings, or even just living in a mountainous area where you are on the brakes a lot and they don't get to cool off for long. The boiling point of the fluid drops when it gets contaminated.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #9
Metallman56
Bears Fan

great advice aaron. honestly I didn't know it was possible to flush your own lines without some type of special tool. my car started to brake not straight, I think the right front was braking slightly before the rest of the calipers. I figured sense I was going to bleed them I might as well do a fluid change. I actually think I googled what order to bleed brakes, and that vid came up. once I replace my caliper in a week or 2 I'm going to re-bleed the system to make sure all of that crap fluid is gone, then we should be good to go. my car does brake a lot straighter now, even with not flushing that rf caliper, so yeah there was air in the system somewhere.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #10
blckgagt
~Turbocharged~

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 99 GAGT, 07 Vette
blckgagt Gettin' there
I used my Motive Power Bleeder the last time changed out the brakes. Makes it nearly effortless. It practically bleeds the brakes by itself which is useful if you don't have a spotter to check and want to make sure all of the air is out of the system without bleeding out more fluid than needed.
400whp 435wtq - MMS Race Block w/ 8.5:1 comp ratio, Eagle H-beam rods. MMS Stage 2 heads, Turbo Cam, chromemoly pushrods, GM gaskets. MMS 65 mm Turbo Kit w 60lb/hr injectors, Walbro fuel pump, powdercoated engine. MMS 3.29 4t65eHD conv., 3500 stall TC. Milzy headers w/ downpipe, magnaflow exhaust, FFP Pulley, f/r strut braces, Msd 8.5 SC wires, *** bodykit, Bilstein Coilovers. 17x8 AE 185s. Pioneer HU, B/A speakers. Baer brakes. Wot-tech engine mount. SB Rear Swaybar. ES Poly links
blckgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
geldartb
With the quickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallman56 View Post
great advice aaron. honestly I didn't know it was possible to flush your own lines without some type of special tool. my car started to brake not straight, I think the right front was braking slightly before the rest of the calipers. I figured sense I was going to bleed them I might as well do a fluid change. I actually think I googled what order to bleed brakes, and that vid came up. once I replace my caliper in a week or 2 I'm going to re-bleed the system to make sure all of that crap fluid is gone, then we should be good to go. my car does brake a lot straighter now, even with not flushing that rf caliper, so yeah there was air in the system somewhere.
i don't know about air but the color it was probably boiling way sooner than it should..

my outback manual recommends 30 months .
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgagt View Post
I used my Motive Power Bleeder the last time changed out the brakes. Makes it nearly effortless. It practically bleeds the brakes by itself which is useful if you don't have a spotter to check and want to make sure all of the air is out of the system without bleeding out more fluid than needed.
i love the damn thing..used it every time i messed with the brakes on the grand am and now i got the correct adapter so i can do the subaru too..

Quote:
Old 12-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #12
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallman56 View Post
Yeah, you can use the method of having someone press on the brake pedal while you open and close the bleeder screw. Takes longer, but gets the job done. Much easier with a tool though; they make things like the Motive power bleeder which pressurizes the reservoir, or they make ones that you hook to the bleeder screw and apply suction to the line to pump fluid through. Whatever method is used, you always start with the caliper furthest from the master cylinder, and end with the nearest.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
geldartb
With the quickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Yeah, you can use the method of having someone press on the brake pedal while you open and close the bleeder screw. Takes longer, but gets the job done. Much easier with a tool though; they make things like the Motive power bleeder which pressurizes the reservoir, or they make ones that you hook to the bleeder screw and apply suction to the line to pump fluid through. Whatever method is used, you always start with the caliper furthest from the master cylinder, and end with the nearest.
relying on people is a pita..with me it's always like pulling teeth to get someone over to help me out, hence why i bought the motive power bleeder..

seriously i've been itching to do this but i don't really feel like going through the crap of getting the car on jack stands and then throwing my regular tires back on only to do it all again when ever it decides to get cold enough to warrant me putting snow tires on..

Quote:
Old 01-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #14
datashifter
Wannabe GA h4x0r

AKA: Name
Vehicle: '03 Grand Am SC/T
datashifter Gettin' there
On the to-do list here!

Bought my '03 GA back in 2006 (a returned lease) and I have never touched the brake fluid. I doubt anyone ever has.

To the OP, thanks for the post!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:33 PM   #15
mlog
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM GT
mlog Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgagt View Post
Does the Power Bleeder seal the pressure well on the GA? It seems like based on the reviews on Amazon that people either love it or hate it. I was waiting to find someone who had actually used it on the GA.
mlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #16
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

I have a motive and it works well. The only thing that doesn't work very well, is adding fluid to the tank and letting it refill the reservoir through the hose on the cap, like the directions say. I tried that once, and brake fluid leaked out from under the cap and got all over my engine bay. I just use it as an air pressurizer, to pressurize the reservoir and move fluid through the lines by opening the bleeder screws at the calipers. When the fluid level in the reservoir starts getting low I stop, depressurize and take the cap off, and add more fluid.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:37 PM   #17
mlog
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM GT
mlog Gettin' there
Thanks for the feedback, Aaron. The Power Bleeder sounds worth a try. I'll probably need the GM adapter and the Ford adapter for the Sonata. I wonder if the Black label is worth the extra money.
mlog is offline   Reply With Quote