GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 04-28-2004, 10:51 AM   #41
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS Sedan - Loves Park, IL
Driving Style: Fast and Aggressive - Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Rating: 8.57 out of 10
Size: 225/45R17 91Y
Comments: Yep, Matt's got another new pair of shoes. I think I need to re-adjust my driving, because I can't afford a new set of summer tires every year! Anyway, even though I only have about 5000 miles on these Goodyears, I like them. Excellent dry and wet traction, and very quiet. They lack a bit of sidewall stiffness as compared to my previous Potenza S-03s, but the Goodyears make up for it in a smoother ride and reduced weight (I found each Goodyear to weigh about 1.5 pounds less than a same-sized S-03). Expensive at about $160 per tire, but they are a few dollars less than S-03s, and have a higher treadwear rating to boot.....we'll see how that one plays out. So far, so good.
Currently without an engine, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, a few suspension and brake bits, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #42
SSRacer
Speed Racer

AKA: Sean
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Sedan
SSRacer Gettin' there
I hear ya on the new tires every year. I gotta cut down on my autocrossing until I can afford race tires. Been racing 3 years, on my third set of tires.

Still running the Falken Ziex ZE-502's. Good grip, good price, Big-O road hazzard, can't complain.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
If it ain't broke, don't Microsoft it.
SSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 AM   #43
FORTEEN3GT
Texas's fastest GAGT

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 2001 GTP; 2000 WS6
FORTEEN3GT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrateWS6

Brand: Falken
Model: Azenis Sport
Size: 215/45ZR-16
Rating: N/A
Comments: Just ordered these for racing purposes... I'll let you all know how they do after a proper heat cycling...
updates??? thanks

SOLD MODDED 1999 GAGT
2000 TRANS-AM WS6 M6 converted to TH400: 408, LS3 Heads,, True Duals, MTI Lid, Moser 9" rearend, Gemini 300 plate kit (800+rwhp of fun!
2001 GTP: PCM, 3.2 Pulley, VS Cam, 3 inch Downpipe/Exhaust, PEMs, U-bend, No-Cat, SLP Intake, and PowerTuner
FORTEEN3GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:53 AM   #44
Hexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnewton123
Yokohama YK420 - 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT - Denton, TX
Driving Style: Fast and Aggressive - Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Rating: 5 out of 10
Size: 225/50R16
Comments:I went by Discount Tire today to get some BFG g-Force T/A KDWS's installed after I talked to a guy yesterday and said he had them and could do them today. Well, it turned out that they had them at the warehouse, not the store, so they didn't have them today. They told me they had these Yokohama's that were "an excellent tire with great reviews" so I said to go ahead and put them on. I left, took one u-turn and a couple quick movements of the wheel to test the sidewalls out and I already HATED them. The sidewalls were VERY weak, so much so that it felt like i was driving a boat on water. The ride though without cornering was very nice. I turned around and they took them off, ordered my BFG's and gave me some loaner tires since my old Kumho's were toast. They gave me no trouble and didn't seem annoyed by my displeasure.....

Excellent service, horrible tire recommendations......

BFG g-Force T/A KDWS review to follow soon!

My bad, I have the Yoko Avid V4 not the YK420. The V4 is a pretty good tire all year around. Recomended if you live north =D

Last edited by Hexx; 09-15-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #45
daxx
GAGT - Member

AKA: Melvyn
Vehicle: 2006 Focus ZX4 SES
daxx Gettin' there

Finally replaced the last two RS-A's with a pair of Sumitomo HTR+'s in the stock 225/50x16 size, although they are W-rated instead of the stock tires V-rating. The HTR+'s are a lot quieter than the RS-A's (no more crunching sounds at low speeds) and steering response is many times better so the car responds to every steering input immediately. A quick highway blast on the way home shows that the cars tendency to follow imperfections in the pavement is gone. Paid way more than the discount stores as I went to my local Sears Auto Center (needed tires today, not tomorrow or Monday...) but worth the money. The GT finally feels like a sports sedan.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #46
swordfencer
GAGT - Member

AKA: c
Vehicle: 2007 4Runner V8 SE
swordfencer Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to swordfencer

Brand: Kumho
Model: Ecsta ASX
Size: 225 50 R16
Speed rating: WR

Rating: 8.7

Comments:

Very good tire for the price. Handling is good and grip is good. Long life wear as well.
Also very good in wet weather.
swordfencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 12:02 AM   #47
Knappy1
V6ONPSI

Vehicle: 2002 SC GT1
Knappy1 Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to Knappy1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcole

Brand: Yokohama
Model: AVS ES100
Size: 225/50/WR16
Rating: 9/10
Comments: I have not put that many miles on them yet, but I can tell that they handle better than the stock Goodyears.

Because of the stiffer sidewalls, fast cornering moves the body of the car more and does not allow the tire to flex. At high speeds the tires get very warm and the tread becomes gummy and sticky. Lane changes at 70mph+ are a breaze. At higher speeds the car is more stable on the road. I was very impressed with the ride. The tires absorb most of the bumps, they can be felt in the car but are not mushy and do not rattle the car cabin.

I just drove in a nice Texas Rain Storm. The tires gripped the road like it was dry. This made it easy to make a 90 degree turn onto a faster moving street.

Update: Unfortunately I lost my car in accident, but I do believe these tires helped me to avoid the car that changed lanes in front of me. Too bad the passive ABS could not help me avoid the k-rail.

These tires wore extremely fast I had them on for about 2 yrs, and put about 20,000 miles on them. They were loosing there water traction fast and would have been replaced in the summer.

Conclusion: They are cheap and perform well, rotate them often (every 4-6,000 miles), but expect to replace them at about 30,000 miles.
I've got 35K on mine (with lots of abuse from the SC...) That's very good for a z rated tire. I'm very happy with them. When the time comes to replace them, I'll be getting another set.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #48
GTon9teens
$Greed GT$

AKA: GREEDGT
Vehicle: grandamgt.com=faggots
GTon9teens Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GTon9teens

Brand: Pirelli
Model: P7000
Size: 215/35/19
Rating: 9/10
Comments: great handling/ traction, quite ride, very smooth ride smoother than stock, only flats i've have has been from nails and screws, about 4-5 times in the last year, i have bad luck
GTon9teens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:51 AM   #49
5-lO
Just bought a. . .

AKA: Jon
Vehicle: 15 HD 48 XL1200X
5-lO Gettin' there
Brand: Bridgestone
Model: Potenza Pole Postition S0-3's
Size: 225/45/17
Rating: 8
Comments: Very nice tire, I actually bought them used off of Sorry Officer (Kyle). After installing them I immediately noticed 100% better handling, traction etc etc. It even rained on the way home from the swap and the wet weather traction was amazing. Dry and wet handling equals each other and is amazing. They recieve an 8 because the tread wore through pretty quickly, and these tires only have a 220 for tread wear.

Brand: Toyo
Model: Proxes4
Size: 225/45/17
Rating: 8
Comments: Also a very nice tire, I bought these to replace the S0-3s. In my opinion dry performance is better than the S0-3s. Cornering is also better, I can rip corners without any issues. Were these tires suffer (when compared to the S0-3s) is wet weather handling. They still handle amazingly in the rain, but taking sharp turns at 40+ in rain does take a little skill. They out perform the SO-3s in tread as they have a 300 for tread wear. Also, you cannot beat the price, $94 a peice at www.edgeracing.com Tires below are the Toyo's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newtires.JPG (80.7 KB, 80 views)

PREVIOUS: 03 GAGT, 04 MAZDASPEED MX-5, 06 TC, 02 SEVILLE STS, 07 HARLEY DAVIDSON NIGHTESTER, 10 MAZDA3 S SPORT MANUAL, 06 SUZUKI KATANA, 11 MAZDA 3 S GRAND TOURING MANUAL TECH, 13 MAZDASPEED3

Last edited by 5-lO; 07-09-2004 at 11:19 AM.
5-lO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 08:09 AM   #50
FORTEEN3GT
Texas's fastest GAGT

FORTEEN3GT Gettin' there
BF Goodrich g-Force Sport
Well.....i just ordered these tires..... my Yokohama AVSES100's were toast after 7 months and 17k miles!!
225/50ZR-16 RBL
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 340AA
$95.00
Free Shipping!

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS
g-Force ultra high performance year round.
225/50ZR-16 92W ORBL
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 400AA
$110.00
Free Shipping!

BF Goodrich Traction T/A VR
Information coming soon on this product.
225/50R-16 92V RBL
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 440AA
$114.00
Free Shipping!

BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW
Maximum Dry and Wet performance from the g-Force family
225/50ZR-16 92Y B
Reading the Tire Size
UTQG: 300AA

All of these BF Goodrich tires have a traction rating of A, of course AA means you get better traction out of them...but they should bite decent and provide better lifespan with the harder compound. Most of them are Z or V rated!

SOLD MODDED 1999 GAGT
2000 TRANS-AM WS6 M6 converted to TH400: 408, LS3 Heads,, True Duals, MTI Lid, Moser 9" rearend, Gemini 300 plate kit (800+rwhp of fun!
2001 GTP: PCM, 3.2 Pulley, VS Cam, 3 inch Downpipe/Exhaust, PEMs, U-bend, No-Cat, SLP Intake, and PowerTuner

Last edited by FORTEEN3GT; 07-22-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:44 AM   #51
Blackrider
Ifeast Upon The Weak

AKA: Jordie
Vehicle: 06 GTP 6Speed
Blackrider Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Blackrider Send a message via MSN to Blackrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTEEN3GT
updates??? thanks
Kick ass tires, for dry traction but Poor wet traction
Old 09-14-2004, 06:33 PM   #52
Hexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexx

I will add to this and say these tires are pretty good. They were new when I got the car, and I have gone 10K on them all year around. I havent had anything to compare them to but they are good tires.
Just an update on these tires. 2 of them are completely worn out....my bad due to a bad alignment. The other 2 tires are fine though and I am at 19K miles on them. I drive them aggressively. About a little less than half life left in them I would say (the 2 good tires that is).

I'm thinking of getting some a little better though since I need new tires, probably try out the Yokohama Avid V4S.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #53
Hexx

Model: Avid V4S
Size: 225/50-VR16
Rating: 8/10
Comments: I can't say much except for wow. I only have two of these on the rear of my car, but they make a BIG difference. I can't wait to get the front done.

Only driven them on dry grounds. These are a year 'round tire so Ill let you guys know this winter how they are holding up with snow =D

Tirerack has these for $81, I paid $109 at my local place....dunno why such a price difference. Worth it so far though. Good sidewall and I like the tread pattern.

Picture: From tirerack...click here
Old 09-30-2004, 11:44 PM   #54
99Alero_Boy
Oldz Sleeper

AKA: Kyle
Vehicle: 2001 Olds Alero GL3
99Alero_Boy Gettin' there
Model: Parada Spec-2
Size: 225/40-ZR18 92W
Rating: 10/10
Comments: I absolutely love these tires. They have absolutely awesome traction wet or dry...their UTQG score is 300/AA/A meaning they scored the best possilbe.......they are sticky as hell and the noise isn't too bad although you can definately tell the difference once they get warmed up.....

downside is the price, i got hooked up through a shop i know called Toyspeed Racing and only paid $439.62 for all 4 tires....tire rack has them at $162 a piece and that is with a 83W sidewall, i have had both and prefer the 92W sidewall, stiffer feel is nice....also absolutely no snow.....obviously i mean look at the tread pattern

99Alero_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:34 AM   #55
xxbackhillxx
Spoils

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: 2015 Sierra, ATS-V
xxbackhillxx has made plenty of valid pointsxxbackhillxx has made plenty of valid points

Brand: BFGoodrich
Model: g-Force T/A KDW-2
Size: 235/40/18
Rating: 9.5/10
Comments:

Pros: I have only had them for about 100 miles, but the difference between these and the Sumitomo HTR+ is night and day. Very smooth cornering. INCREDIBLE wet traction, virutally no hydroplaning even if it's intentional.

Cons: Expensive but worth it.
xxbackhillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 02:11 PM   #56
HotLikeFire
TheEffinNewGirl

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
HotLikeFire has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexx

My bad, I have the Yoko Avid V4 not the YK420. The V4 is a pretty good tire all year around. Recomended if you live north =D

Yo,

Im getting new tires this weekend. I've been scoping the Avid v4's because I too live in the north and battle the snow each year - but yet want a tire that can handle my kind of driving. How have these been performing for you? How about an updated review puleeease? Im stuck between these and a few others - including the YK420's and the man at discounttire told me that the two were just about the same. BUT, the tread doesn't even LOOK the same. So I wasn't trusting the guy. The YK420's were a tad more expensive so im a little confused by which tire to go with. Anyways, HEXX, can you hook me up w/an update on those Avid V4s?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 PM   #57
HotLikeFire
TheEffinNewGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLikeFire
Yo,

Im getting new tires this weekend. I've been scoping the Avid v4's because I too live in the north and battle the snow each year - but yet want a tire that can handle my kind of driving. How have these been performing for you? How about an updated review puleeease? Im stuck between these and a few others - including the YK420's and the man at discounttire told me that the two were just about the same. BUT, the tread doesn't even LOOK the same. So I wasn't trusting the guy. The YK420's were a tad more expensive so im a little confused by which tire to go with. Anyways, HEXX, can you hook me up w/an update on those Avid V4s?
NEvermind Hexx, I just read your review on them, I must have missed it. Whoops! Are they quiet tires? I definitely need something more quiet than the crappy rs-a's ... annnnd did they get rid of that damn noise that the rs-a/gm rim combination made?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:17 PM   #58
FORTEEN3GT
Texas's fastest GAGT

FORTEEN3GT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLikeFire
Yo,

225/50ZR-16 92W ORBL
Reading the Tire Size
$110.00
Free Shipping!

best tires for your application! great traction on dry and good wear.. also good for snow and rain....good overall tire!!! i still have mine!!!

SOLD MODDED 1999 GAGT
Old 12-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #59
HotLikeFire
TheEffinNewGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTEEN3GT

225/50ZR-16 92W ORBL
Reading the Tire Size
$110.00
Free Shipping!

best tires for your application! great traction on dry and good wear.. also good for snow and rain....good overall tire!!! i still have mine!!!
How quiet are these, and how well can you feel bumps and cracks in the road?
Old 12-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #60
FORTEEN3GT
Texas's fastest GAGT

FORTEEN3GT Gettin' there
quiet enough and fine.... these are your best bet for what you want! trust me...i have had YK420's

(but the YK420's do last a really long time..but dont bite on dry traction as well.)

SOLD MODDED 1999 GAGT