GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
dylanbour
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: dylan
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
dylanbour Gettin' there
GA misfire issue

i have a 2001 grand am gt v6 3400Ok so my car first started off misfiring when I would first start it get the blinking check engine soon light
Then I smoke tested and found a leak in my cyl 4 injector oring so I pulled the intake and put new injector oring and caps and intake plenum gasket thinking this was the cause of the misfire
I have also have done a exhuast muffler dealett ,Got it back together and the misfire is worse now more frequent I have have replaced plugs, wires within the last year , I smoke tested it again and no leaks , me and my dad switched out coil packs and igniton control modal and that didn't change anything. Any other ideas what it could be thanks
dylanbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Madness10
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matthew
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1
Madness10 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanbour View Post
i have a 2001 grand am gt v6 3400Ok so my car first started off misfiring when I would first start it get the blinking check engine soon light
Then I smoke tested and found a leak in my cyl 4 injector oring so I pulled the intake and put new injector oring and caps and intake plenum gasket thinking this was the cause of the misfire
I have also have done a exhuast muffler dealett ,Got it back together and the misfire is worse now more frequent I have have replaced plugs, wires within the last year , I smoke tested it again and no leaks , me and my dad switched out coil packs and igniton control modal and that didn't change anything. Any other ideas what it could be thanks
A few things. Did the misfire changed cylinders when you swapped coils? Have you done a block test to rule out blown head gasket? Have you checked for a burnt valve? Taking the muffler off does nothing for performance or sound and will enhance any problems you may have.
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
dylanbour
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: dylan
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
dylanbour Gettin' there
Unsure on which cylinders or valves , I compression tested and that came back all good I cut the muffler for the sound diffrenrce and there was a major defence but eventually got annoying so I'm putting it back on tomorrow
dylanbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
Madness10
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matthew
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1
Madness10 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanbour View Post
Unsure on which cylinders or valves , I compression tested and that came back all good I cut the muffler for the sound diffrenrce and there was a major defence but eventually got annoying so I'm putting it back on tomorrow
Did you have the codes read as to which cylinder was backfiring? The code will be a backfire code(p3000) followed by the cylinder. Example p3001 will be cylinder 1 and so on. This step is very crucial to determining where the backfire is coming from and where to start. You can't fix the problem unless you know where to start.
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote