GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 09-12-2002, 05:35 AM   #1
red rocket
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT sedan
red rocket Gettin' there
HVAC 1,2 not working - Replacing the fan blower resisitor

My fan blower does not work on the 1 and 2 settings. I previously read posts on this problem and ordered the replacement resistor part. The problem is that I don't know the details on how to install it. I know this info was on the website previously.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
red rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Stix
GAGT Freak

Vehicle: 99 GT
Stix Gettin' there
Re: Replacing the fan blower resisitor

Quote:
Originally posted by red rocket
My fan blower does not work on the 1 and 2 settings. I previously read posts on this problem and ordered the replacement resistor part. The problem is that I don't know the details on how to install it. I know this info was on the website previously.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Glad ya posted this because I had the information from the old board printed somewhere and I can't find it. I need to go pick up a resistor too so I can install it. How much did you pay for it at at the dealer? Thought I remembered someone saying it was a 10 dollar part.
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 08:49 PM   #3
lrymal

Re: Replacing the fan blower resisitor

Quote:
...Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.
We really lost some good info when the board went down. Here is what I did. Maybe some others will join in and fill in the gaps.

1) Resistor is located next to firewall on passenger side, in part of the blower motor plastic housing assembly, on the downside part of the assembly that is toward the passenger's feet.
2) To get to it, you will need a 7/32 " socket. You will need a universal socket adapter. Trust me... you will need a universal socket adapter.
3) You will need to either be skinny, or hire a ten year old boy who can work tools and can bend his spine funny. (Actually, you can do it). You will need to open the passenger door, and lay on your left hip with your upper torso on the passenger floor.
4) Look up toward the fire wall. LOOK UP! You will see wires feeding the resistor via a connector. You will see two bolts holding the resistor in the housing.
5) Bingo! There you are!

There were better instructions than these, and one member actually posted photos. This is one of those things that needs to be posted at N-Body or any other location that can be used for references.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:08 PM   #4
nokiatech

OMG this is a pain. He's not kidding about finding a skinny kid. I'm 6'3" 275 and I had heck of a time with this. The resistor panel actually fits up into the blower itself. Or maybe it's just a duct, I'm not sure. It's got a big panel on it that acts as a heatsink. Looks kinda like a centronics connector with a flat panel sticking out the back of it.

I found them for cheap at a local auto parts store (bennet auto supply in case you care)

This is a pic of my old one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0040.jpg (77.2 KB, 2008 views)
Old 09-15-2002, 10:09 PM   #5
nokiatech

This is the new one.

Notice the coating on the new one to keep the condensation for shorting the thing out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0038.jpg (78.1 KB, 1653 views)
Old 09-15-2002, 10:11 PM   #6
nokiatech

This is where it goes. Notice the slot in the top left of the pic. The panel/heatsink slides in there and connect with two small bolts. These are a PITA to get too. The blue connector that is hanging hooks up to the resistor panel.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:12 PM   #7
nokiatech

Damn, forget the pic.

I've got a lot more pics if someone needs something. I don't want the GURU's sending me a bill for the bandwidth though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0049.jpg (79.8 KB, 2554 views)
Old 09-16-2002, 05:31 AM   #8
red rocket
GAGT - Member

red rocket Gettin' there
Well I got the part from GMPartsDirect. It was only $11, but they rip you for almost $10 shipping. According to the pic, I definitely have the right part. But this is a bad time for my back to be acting up. I don't know if I can be a contortionist right now. This oughta be interesting!
Old 09-18-2002, 09:02 AM   #9
red rocket
GAGT - Member

red rocket Gettin' there
Well, I'm showing my mechanical ignorance here, but I need clarification on this comment:

To get to it, you will need a 7/32 " socket. You will need a universal socket adapter. Trust me... you will need a universal socket adapter.

I understand the 7/32" socket, which I have. What is the adapter? Is that the part that allows the angle rotation of the socket, or is it an extension to be able to reach up in to the firewall area?
Old 09-18-2002, 09:47 AM   #10
lrymal

Quote:
....Is that the part that allows the angle rotation of the socket...
Yup. Unless I'm really showing my age.......... We USED to call them "universal adaptors", "universal socket adaptors", "universal joint". Not sure what they are called now, but when I went to AutoZone to get one, the guy knew what I was talking about.

It is better than saying a 1/4" socket shaft twistee angle thingee...

Last edited by lrymal; 09-18-2002 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:59 AM   #11
lrymal

NokiaTech's photo

Notice that NokiaTech's photo shows the slot, at the mid-left edge of the picture, where the resistor pack goes.
Old 09-18-2002, 10:50 AM   #12
novadude
GAGT - Newbie

novadude Gettin' there
You guys have a part number?

My '99 has this problem too.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:00 PM   #13
lrymal

Quote:
Originally posted by novadude

I don't now, but I'm sure someone does and they'll post it here. But, due to the shipping costs, I'd just go by the dealer and get the part. You won't saving total costs that much via mail order for this thing.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:12 PM   #14
scottrblum

I just bought one for my 2000. The Delco Box Reads like this:

75E2 1 #15-8966
1 #15359314

RESISTOR

It was ~$25 at the dealer...
Old 09-18-2002, 02:43 PM   #15
Stix
GAGT Freak

Stix Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally posted by novadude

I just ordered mine from http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

The item # is 15359314

The total price on the website was 19.49 after shipping, my pontiac dealer wanted 25 bucks for it. So I just gotta wait for UPS now.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:09 PM   #16
lrymal

Quote:
Originally posted by Stix
...The total price on the website was 19.49 after shipping, my pontiac dealer wanted 25 bucks for it. So I just gotta wait for UPS now.
My dealer will try to beat mail-order prices. I'm assuming other dealers would also. I have taken printouts to the parts guy and he would generally match or beat the price.

You might try that if you don't want to go with non-local vendors.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:12 PM   #17
Stix
GAGT Freak

Stix Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally posted by lrymal

My dealer will try to beat mail-order prices. I'm assuming other dealers would also. I have taken printouts to the parts guy and he would generally match or beat the price.

You might try that if you don't want to go with non-local vendors.
I was going to do that, but I figured that I've dealt with not having 1 or 2 settings for over two months so I didn't need the part too bad. Plus I get like 5% back on credit card purchases. I still cant believe that they wanted 6 dollars more for the same part.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:41 PM   #18
SteveGT1
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2001 GAGT Coupe
SteveGT1 Gettin' there
I have the same problem on my 01, I will check the price at my dealer tomorrow. I bet I will pay upwards to 50 dollars can if you guys only paid 25 US....
Old 09-18-2002, 07:43 PM   #19
Stix
GAGT Freak

Stix Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveGT1
I have the same problem on my 01, I will check the price at my dealer tomorrow. I bet I will pay upwards to 50 dollars can if you guys only paid 25 US....
Well see if you can deal with them, tell them to go to gmpartsdirect.com and look at their price. I believe it is 11.49 plus shipping of 7.95 US.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:32 AM   #20
red rocket
GAGT - Member

red rocket Gettin' there
It took me about 4 days to get my part delivered via UPS. Now if I only had a spare hour to install it! I'm kind of getting tired listening to the fan blast all the time!