GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 07-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #81
neo10246
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 2002 GT1
neo10246 Gettin' there
This happened to me for about six months and then the lights just stayed on all the time. Turns out it was the wheel hub assembly and the mechanic has to hook it up to a ABS computer for a reading not the usual code reader. Also the wheels were making an irritating humming noise for the last month before repairing. One hub cost me $290.00.
neo10246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #82
realestdriver

AKA: MJ
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT 2dr
realestdriver Gettin' there
My problems is I have the trac/abs light, but no SVS light(I know it works). The light used to come on every few days, but now it is on as soon as I crank the car. My passenger side wheel bearing has been replaced twice, but I'm not sure about the driver side. Connections have been checks. I hate being without traction control right now; its been raining for the past two weeks. Maybe I'll replace the driver side, any suggestions before I do that.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #83
mekaneck
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Rick
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT
mekaneck Gettin' there
In case this happens to anyone else: I replaced the front left hub 2 years ago, and the ABS light recently came back on. After taking off the wheel, I could see that the ABS wire had somehow got caught on something and it was sheared off. Meaning even if I replaced the hub, there was nothing for the hub to plug into. So I needed a new hub as well as a new wiring harness. The dealer wanted $150 for the harness, but after looking around, I found one for $30 at rockauto.com. The OEM part number (for my '02 GT) was 12167654 (L) and 12167653 (R). Dorman makes replacements, and their part numbers are 970008 (L) and 970009 (R). Search for these Dorman numbers on rockauto and you will find the part. You can also get them at Autozone for $45 but they are a special order item.
mekaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #84
landa220
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
landa220 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekaneck View Post
In case this happens to anyone else: I replaced the front left hub 2 years ago, and the ABS light recently came back on. After taking off the wheel, I could see that the ABS wire had somehow got caught on something and it was sheared off. Meaning even if I replaced the hub, there was nothing for the hub to plug into. So I needed a new hub as well as a new wiring harness. The dealer wanted $150 for the harness, but after looking around, I found one for $30 at rockauto.com. The OEM part number (for my '02 GT) was 12167654 (L) and 12167653 (R). Dorman makes replacements, and their part numbers are 970008 (L) and 970009 (R). Search for these Dorman numbers on rockauto and you will find the part. You can also get them at Autozone for $45 but they are a special order item.
Wow! That's great news, thanks. I'm going to look into that immediately since my low traction light comes on regularly as well as my ABS... light. This is after I've replaced and reconnected my harnesses too many times to do it again. I think it's just old and worn out.

The option of replacing the harness/wire as you did sounds like it will fix my problem. I'm on it! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Oh! I almost forgot to ask, did you install the new part yourself? How difficult was it? I'm wondering where does the other end of this harness connect too since I've never considered replacing it.

Last edited by landa220; 12-08-2009 at 08:29 PM.
landa220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #85
mlog
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM GT
mlog Gettin' there
My ABS light came on intermittently, often when I turned a corner, and it was a failed hub assembly (wheel bearing) on one side.
mlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #86
mekaneck
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Rick
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT
mekaneck Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by landa220 View Post
Oh! I almost forgot to ask, did you install the new part yourself? How difficult was it? I'm wondering where does the other end of this harness connect too since I've never considered replacing it.
Yeah, I actually ended up getting the part from O'Reilly Auto for $36.99 because I could get it sooner. But yes, I installed it myself. The harness just has the plug on one end that goes into the brake hub, and then just wires on the other. It comes with crimp connectors, so you basically just cut off the existing harness on the car (the new harness is long enough to route up to near the back of the headlight, where the ABS harness joins a bundle of other wires), and crimp on the new piece. It was pretty easy. I removed the small splash shield that was in front of the control arm, on the inside of the wheel well. Just have to remove two bolts and two push-in fasteners, and it comes out. This gives you access to see where the ABS harness on your car routes to. It's also where I made the splice, since it's a pretty protected area, above the frame rail and inside the splash shield. You don't want to just cut off the harness on the control arm because your splice would be sitting right there constantly bombarded with rocks, rain, ice, etc.

So if you have a wrench and a pair of wire cutters & crimpers, you can do this job easily.
mekaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #87
landa220
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
landa220 Gettin' there
Excellent, thanks for the info.

I'm going to do it since I'm sick and tired of those lights coming on every time I turn the wheels or so. It's just that it's gonna be in the '20's temperature wise here in Michigan for a while. I have to weigh how much I want to get under the car on cold concrete to do it.

Thanks again.
landa220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:07 PM   #88
76TA01GAGT
GAGT - Member

AKA: Brian
Vehicle: 00 & 01 Grand Am GT
76TA01GAGT Gettin' there
To check myself, we read 1050 drivers front, 0 on passenger front, around 1100 passenger rear and again about 1100 drivers rear. So, about 99.9% changing the passenger front hub will fix this (SVS, ABS, traction control light)? Thanks for comments, I am tryin to not just throw money at this car, but it seams like its happenin anyway...........
76TA01GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:34 PM   #89
76TA01GAGT
GAGT - Member

76TA01GAGT Gettin' there
Update, received a new front hub, took the tire off and wired the new one up, started car and no lights, problem verified! Now all I have to do is actually change it, next weekends project........
Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #90
03GAGTdriver
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Colin
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
03GAGTdriver Gettin' there
I have a similar problem with my 03 GT, and I'm looking for answers to this problem. I have the same 3 lights (SVS, ABS, Trac off) but I also get a brake light along with it occasionally. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about this. I have replaced almost everything on this car, it's starting to get ridiculous, but i love the car so much. Info would be appreciated. My next step is to check all the wires and module to see the condition these are in. Little history on this car in the past year has been 2 new hubs up front, master cylinder, lower intake gasket.
03GAGTdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #91
2000 GT Coupe
Made the move :D

AKA: Gene
Vehicle: 00 Grand Am GT1 Coupe
2000 GT Coupe Gettin' there
a good first step would be to read the abs computer, see what the problem is.
MP Racing CAI and tuned PCM
LED tails Projector's with HID's
Lowered
18" Rims
Aftermarket front and rear anti-sway bars
2000 GT Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #92
76TA01GAGT
GAGT - Member

76TA01GAGT Gettin' there
FYI, if you have a gear puller it will work inplace of the hub puller. Project took about 45 minutes total. **the information above it the only reason it went so quick, thanks to all those who posted!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:57 AM   #93
djkm
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Devon
Vehicle: 2002 Grand aM gt
djkm Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gectek View Post
I had a similar problem with both my rear sensors. so here is what i thought. both sensors really cant go out at the same time. I had a scan tool at my school, so i used it through the month. same codes. all 3 lights were on, brake, abs and svs. so if both rear sensors are bad, lets see where the wiring goes. tah dah, wiring harness to rear bulkhead connector. ordered a new wiring harness for that, like $28, came with clips and everything installed in all the right locations, go to take old one out and what did i find...a bunch of water and trash was held up in the wire loom. I think this is the root cause of alot of these types of failures. so i took the old harness out, put the new one in, before i plugged the new one in, put di-electric grease in the connector plugs, plugged them in, and its Ronco Time...set it and forget itno problems since, that was 8 months ago, also cuz a few holes in the loom to drain the water so it wont set up.
where is this bulkhead connector located? thanks
djkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #94
GrandAmGTTT
Pontiac Club Toledo

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT sedan
GrandAmGTTT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GrandAmGTTT Send a message via Yahoo to GrandAmGTTT
what would cause my traction control and ABS lights to go off but throw no codes for it.....?
Flowmaster 80, MDS 8.5mm wires, NGK plugs, LS1 MAF, 65mm TCE TB, MPracing p&p UIM, EGR delete, CAI, heat shield tape, Custom tuned by Chris , ZEX wet kit, ac delete, Front+Rear drilled/slotted rotors, Eibach springs, Front+Rear strut bars, ported and matched 3500 UIM and 3400 LIM, Powder coated Upper/Lower Intake manifolds and valve covers
GrandAmGTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #95
madmike77
GAGT - Member

AKA: mike
Vehicle: 2002 grand am gt sedan
madmike77 Still kinda new, but learning
the wheel hub assembly's go on these cars alot i have a 2002 and have 70,000 miles and i replaced the fronts twice in 5 years the first time i got raped by a mechanic the second time i did it myself you can get them for around 100 bucks and if you ever put together a model car when you were younger you very well should be able to replace them your self especially if you have access to air tools. you dont need any gear pullers or crap like that your hands should be able to pull the old one out and put it in the new ones the 3 bolts that hold them in are behind the hub and i believe need to be torqed to 70 lbs but do a little at a time so the sit right or you will be replacing them again very soon!
madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #96
mlog
GAGT - Newbie

mlog Gettin' there
I thought I would see what you folks think. I have been getting "low trac" lights when I make sharp left turns at low speeds. Sometimes the ABS fail light illuminates. The code is C1226 (right front excessive speed variation). That's the only code.

I had the same problem about two years ago. At the time I had the right front hub assembly replaced by my local garage. I'm guessing it was an aftermarket hub, but I don't know where they got it. All was well for the last couple of years. The low trac and ABS fail indications had completely disappeared until about a month ago. Now they're back. I'm getting the same symptoms as before.

I had the same garage, which has generally been pretty reliable, look at the problem again. I think there has been an increase in road noise, but the technician didn't think it was so noisy. They told me that the bearings were solid and had no play. They said the tie rod on the left side had a little play, but it wasn't that bad yet. They did replace the brake pads on the front. What do you think?

It never acts up when driving over bumps. It never acts up when turning right or when it's wet. The low trac light is most likely to occur when taking off from a complete stop while turning sharply left. What should I do? It's getting annoying, and the problem is getting more prevalent. I'm afraid the brakes will wear out again.

Thanks for any suggestions and input. It's a 1999 GA GT with about 120k.

Last edited by mlog; 06-14-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #97
mlog
GAGT - Newbie

mlog Gettin' there
bump
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #98
Braves299
WVU owns you

AKA: David
Vehicle: '99 GA SE 3.4, '06 Ram
Braves299 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Braves299
I only have a Trac Off light and ABS light on -- NOT the SVS. Same problem?
Braves299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #99
Pauljp
GAGT - Member

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
Pauljp Gettin' there
Try checking your wiring from the hub in the wheel well.
Maybe it is being pulled when the wheel is turned sharply.
Check for wear or cracks.
Try cleaning and greasing the contacts with dielectric grease.
Pauljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #100
handymandan98
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Daniel
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am Gt
handymandan98 Gettin' there
Great write up! This helped me determine my front left hub needed to be replaced and check out what I found in the process. My steering knuckle is cracked.. who knows how long I've been driving like that! I guess it's a good thing that sensor went out or I wouldn't have found this until it was too late.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Left Wheel Hub.jpg (124.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by handymandan98; 11-21-2011 at 01:07 AM.
handymandan98 is offline   Reply With Quote