GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
03GT SilverGun Gettin' there
Time for new tires... Suggestions

Well it'a about that time for me to start looking at some new tires. I've got hankooks right now and they have been pretty good but they are pretty low on tread. I'm open for suggestions on what might be something to look for.

Also occasionally my tires will get low on air and I'll need to fill them back up. Any suggestions on what may be causing this? As far as I know there aren't any holes it just seems to be a slow leak. Is it a common problem with the stock wheels?

It will have to be an all season tire since I don't have any more for aftermarket wheels right now... Maybe one day.

I don't want to put a price range just yet. Would like to see what people suggest and why. I've just got the stock wheels so give me suggestions for something that is going to be a pretty good performer in most conditions.

Any input is helpful.
03GT SilverGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
ItsMeScottG
Tech Guy

Vehicle: 2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT SilverGun View Post
Well it'a about that time for me to start looking at some new tires. I've got hankooks right now and they have been pretty good but they are pretty low on tread. I'm open for suggestions on what might be something to look for.

Also occasionally my tires will get low on air and I'll need to fill them back up. Any suggestions on what may be causing this? As far as I know there aren't any holes it just seems to be a slow leak. Is it a common problem with the stock wheels?

It will have to be an all season tire since I don't have any more for aftermarket wheels right now... Maybe one day.

I don't want to put a price range just yet. Would like to see what people suggest and why. I've just got the stock wheels so give me suggestions for something that is going to be a pretty good performer in most conditions.

Any input is helpful.
The leak can easily be fixed. Either the tire is leaking or the rim itself has inner chrome pealing. If you dunk the rim in a tank of water you should be able to find the leak easily or you can take it to any tire shop like Firestone and they will figure it out quick.

SC/T Spoiler, PFYC Sway SpeedBuilt bars, PFYC SpeedBuilt strut braces, Rear disc brake setup, Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, red painted calipers, 20% Black Tint, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT with XM, Live Traffic, & Rear-view Camera, Front Bra, lower bumper grille, Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...

My Current vehicle:
2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

I believe it's leaking from around the rim itself. Almost like it's just not making a good seal. It is a very slow leak but still annoying to deal with. Just have to keep an eye on it and when it looks low I stop and out some aire in them.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
It's possible the inner portion of the wheel, where the bead of the tire sits on the wheel, has corrosion. With aluminum wheels, it's kinda hard to avoid with age. Even just moisture will cause it.

As for tires, it depends on what you're looking for. I don't know what Missouri winters are like, but are you looking for all seasons or performance tires?

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Smithkid21
Boostin'

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: 06 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC
Smithkid21 a trusted member
Quote:

Any input is helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
It's possible the inner portion of the wheel, where the bead of the tire sits on the wheel, has corrosion. With aluminum wheels, it's kinda hard to avoid with age. Even just moisture will cause it.

As for tires, it depends on what you're looking for. I don't know what Missouri winters are like, but are you looking for all seasons or performance tires?
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #6
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

Quote:

The winters here usually aren't extreme. I'd say we have fairly moderate winters. But then again it can vary drastically.

As far as what type of tires I need/want I'm unsure. Obviously since I only have my stock set of rims I'll be using them year round. So something with good performance for a variation of weather types. My driving style probably doesn't require a specific "performance" type of tire. My diving includes just about all road types. Highway, interstate, city, rural highways, and sadly gravel every so often.

I guess I really don't know much difference between performance or all season... So I guess a good combination of the two. With age my driving habits have changed drastically from when I was a young lad. I tend drive what I consider reasonable for most weather conditions.

Not sure if that helps or not. But if Tanner would just give me his aftermarket rims I could have a dedicated winter tire on my stockers and a performance on the 18"s
Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
I guess I really don't know much difference between performance or all season... So I guess a good combination of the two.
All season tires are designed to perform well in all weather conditions but not great for high speed or sport performance driving. Performance tires are just that...built for higher speed spirited driving but in return they perform poorly in severe weather conditions or are not rated for winter driving at all.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
All season tires are designed to perform well in all weather conditions but not great for high speed or sport performance driving. Performance tires are just that...built for higher speed spirited driving but in return they perform poorly in severe weather conditions or are not rated for winter driving at all.
Well in that case I'll be looking into all season tires specifically. I really have no need for an extreme amount of performance. Since I only have the one set of rims I need the tires to be able to perform in any weather condition. So a performance all season would be nice when I'm in the mood for having some fun on the country roads but I'm more concerned about a good tire for all weather conditions.

The continentals say they are a "ultra high performance" all season tire which is probably what I'd be interested in... How are they for road noise. I know the GA has a lot of road noise any way but every reduction I can get is nice... If I keep the car like I plan(forever) then I'll eventually be doing some audio work and hopefully that will include some sound deadening.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
ItsMeScottG
Tech Guy

Vehicle: 2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG Gettin' there
Quote:

Yes that's what I was talking about, I see inner corrosion on customers rims all the time at work.

SC/T Spoiler, PFYC Sway SpeedBuilt bars, PFYC SpeedBuilt strut braces, Rear disc brake setup, Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, red painted calipers, 20% Black Tint, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT with XM, Live Traffic, & Rear-view Camera, Front Bra, lower bumper grille, Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...

My Current vehicle:
2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Blow me.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Smithkid21
Boostin'

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: 06 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC
Smithkid21 a trusted member
Reading > you.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Black&Red01
GAGT - Member

AKA: Tim
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am Gt
Black&Red01 Gettin' there
I just put a set of continental extreme contact dws's on mine and I must say the have been amazing. Through 8 inches of snow and some good all day rain they rarely slip and corner very well. As for the tires leaking everything everyone has said is all true. At work when I look for leaks I air the tire up to proper pressure then dunk it I'm a bin of water that has some soap in it. The best thing to do is use some black sealer that goes on the rim to help prevent corrosion and create a good sealing surface. I installed my own tires and didn't have any problems when it was -50 here a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Black&Red01; 01-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Black&Red01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Red01 View Post
I just put a set of continental extreme contace dws's on mine and I must say the have been amazing. Through 8 inches of snow and some good all day rain they rarely slip and corner very well. As for the tires leaking everything everyone has said is all true. At work when I look for leaks I air the tire up to proper pressure then dunk it I'm a bin of water that has some soap in it. The best thing to do is use some black sealer that goes on the rim to help prevent corrosion and create a good sealing surface. I installed my own tires and didn't have any problems when it was -50 here a few weeks ago.
-50 geez. Where is Freeport at? I'll be making a trip this weekend to the Springfield area to visit some family.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #14
Black&Red01
GAGT - Member

Quote:
-50 geez. Where is Freeport at? I'll be making a trip this weekend to the Springfield area to visit some family.
45 minutes west of Rockford or 45 minutes south of Madison (if you drive a bit faster)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #15
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Quote:
I just put a set of continental extreme contace dws's on mine and
yep these right here

Most of my leaks come from old/bad valve stems.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #16
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
I just put a set of continental extreme contact dws's on mine and I must say the have been amazing.
I'm on the second set of those tires on my Hyundai Sonata and they do perform well. However I didn't get the miles out of the first set that I should have and I'm religious about getting them rotated and re-balanced every 5-6K miles, but the second set was pro-rated due to the mileage warranty. They are a bit noisy in my opinion but not bad enough to where I wouldn't buy them again.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
3800L67GAM
PostingLike An L32SC

AKA: ERIC
Vehicle: 99 grand am se black
3800L67GAM Still kinda new, but learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I'm on the second set of those tires on my Hyundai Sonata and they do perform well. However I didn't get the miles out of the first set that I should have and I'm religious about getting them rotated and re-balanced every 5-6K miles, but the second set was pro-rated due to the mileage warranty. They are a bit noisy in my opinion but not bad enough to where I wouldn't buy them again.
At my shop we have a customer with some copper cs4 touring set of 4 tires that has over a hundred thousand miles on them he gets his rotation and balance every 2,500 to 3,000 miles and his tires are worn evenly.
3800L67GAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

From what I know, these will suit your needs well:

Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S (I had these myself, amazing tires in all conditions)
Goodyear Eagle GT
Toyo Extensa HP
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Old 01-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
Black&Red01
GAGT - Member

The continentals are very quite not much road noise at all.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #20
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

I'll have to look into those options. Other than calling around to shops in my area any suggestions on where to buy. Experiences with ordering online. I ask because my parents ordered from tirerack once and for some reason they could never get the tires balanced properly. No matter how many times they took it back to the dealer.