GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 01-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
rbm11761
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Ross
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
rbm11761 Gettin' there
Sun Roof Drain Tube Replacement

I have a 03 GT with sunroof, it was in a small front end collision after that we noticed the passenger floor would fill up with water after a storm i tried blowing air through the line it come back out at the top will not come out at the door. I tried feeding a small wire through the drain it seems to get stuck where it passes to the outside. So im now lead to believe that the drain is either kinked or off where it passes to the outside. Does anyone know how the replace this line or how to get to tube where it passes to the outside. Thanks any help is appreciated
rbm11761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
I don't think it's a line, I'm pretty sure it's simply a hole that's cast in the metal of the A pillar.

As dumb as this sounds, try a little thicker wire and a little harder poke, if it got wrinkled up, then it's certainly not going to unblock it, but I don't remember any "line" per say.

Hopefully Plastic Indian will be along shortly, he'll have a schematic. He's an animal.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #3
rbm11761
GAGT - Newbie

rbm11761 Gettin' there
The car did not take a hit on the door frame it was tboned from about the front tire to front bumper. I do see a drain line going down the pillar but unable to locate it inside where it exits the car. My wire goes down the drain about the same length to where it exits the car. The drain on the outside is really hard to get to its behind the door next to the hinge. Im almost ready to put a hose on the drain and run it into 2 gallon container in the car.

bricooper78 I will recheck the pillar line it may just be a short piece of hose from the drain hole to the pillar its been a while since i looked at it

Last edited by rbm11761; 01-19-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
scottj66
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: scott
Vehicle: 2004 grand am gt coupe
scottj66 Gettin' there
I saw a video on youtube showing where the lines run and how to clean them out. I think it was a Grand Prix but probably the same setup.
scottj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #5
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
It should be pretty similar, it's been too long since I had one, my brain is a bit too foggy on it.

If you open the sunroof, and pour a little water in, and look and listen in the floorboard, you should be able to figure out where it's coming in, or if not, look under the car and look for drainage. The passenger floor getting wet happened with a cowl issue, and also I think something around the blower motor IIRC, although the motor may have been small trucks.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
rbm11761
GAGT - Newbie

rbm11761 Gettin' there
Drain Fixed

I did figure out my drain problem today. The drain tube which is all rubber from the sunroof to the discharge hole and runs inside the a pillar was rotated 90 degrees from the accident. I removed the Passengers side door plate, the fuse panel cover and a small cover right under the glove box on the right hand side. Then you will see a plastic panel that has a molex plug & the anttena wire attached to it. Pull these out of the way you can then peel this plastic panel out. You will then see 2 holes (you will need small hands) I stuck my hand in the top hole & could feel the kink in the line, I rotated the 90 back 90 deg and all the water drained out of the tube Thanks Again
Old 01-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #7
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

Hey sweet!!! Good job, glad ya fixed it!
Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM   #8
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
For those trying to visualize where the outlet is located, open the door and look for the rubber grommet just below the upper hinge bracket; the opening is just about large enough to poke a little finger in.

The rear drains dump in the quarter panels -- pull back the vertical portion of the carpet in the rear corners of the trunk and look near the Monsoon amp (for the left side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
For those trying to visualize where the outlet is located, open the door and look for the rubber grommet just below the upper hinge bracket; the opening is just about large enough to poke a little finger in.

The rear drains dump in the quarter panels -- pull back the vertical portion of the carpet in the rear corners of the trunk and look near the Monsoon amp (for the left side).
So is that why I'm getting water in my trunk? I noticed the other day when it was raining, my carpet was wet in the trunk. Pulled it back and the floor of the trunk was all wet back in the corner next to the quarter panel on the driver side. Shouldn't it be draining outside the car?
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
rbm11761
GAGT - Newbie

rbm11761 Gettin' there
Pictures

Front passenger access panel, place hand in top hole (small hands needed) go up you should feel the drain 90 & hose

Picture with plastic panel in place. Peel this panel away to expose the 2 openings

Drain inside where it exits the car. Shoved the camera inside top hole for this picture

Last edited by rbm11761; 01-19-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #11
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

Man, even posting relevant pics...

Ross, you may be a keeper, stick around we need more people who are actually helpful, unlike myself
Old 01-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #12
rbm11761
GAGT - Newbie

rbm11761 Gettin' there
Thanks Cooper, you were the one that got me motivated to go try again. Its been filling up with water for the past year. I just keep towels on the passenger side floor to soak up the water. Now I'm towel free.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #13
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

That's awesome! And I imagine a little less funky smelling!