GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Show (Appearance modifications)

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 PM   #161
SikMindz
BOLD Yellow

AKA: D
Vehicle: 2003 BMW E39
SikMindz has made plenty of valid pointsSikMindz has made plenty of valid points
I'm not coming down on you Storm, I'm just saying that the numbers don't make sense unless the guy just wants to barely break even. I have been in R&D/manufacturing for years now both domestically on a small scale and overseas mass production so I know what goes into developing an item even if it's just simulating an existing product. I don't think it's going to be as easy as this guy thinks it is or I'm totally missing something. If you sold the spoilers and made a standard 50% profit (sans any S&H) you're looking at a $345 cost to a buyer. At 20% that's $68/spoiler. Times 10 plus the money you give him up front for development of the mold he's looking at a *whopping*...$2980. Still doesn't include material costs and labor. That's a helluva lot of time and energy for a very minimal reward.

If they are indeed this good then what's preventing you from using the OEM SC/T wing and modifying it for a mold? The brackets for the concept SC/T spoiler do not line up with stock mounting points so they would have to be re-engineered unless you're expecting people to find spoilerless trunks to use.

Like I said, kudos to you and them if you could get it done for that cheap but I'm pretty skeptical. There are tons of other similar looking spoilers that you could use up top and create the pedestals based on images to achieve the same affect if you really wanted to get this done.
SikMindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #162
StormTec2.0
Modding madness

AKA: Sean
Vehicle: 08 F150 XTR
StormTec2.0 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMindz View Post
I'm not coming down on you Storm, I'm just saying that the numbers don't make sense unless the guy just wants to barely break even. I have been in R&D/manufacturing for years now both domestically on a small scale and overseas mass production so I know what goes into developing an item even if it's just simulating an existing product. I don't think it's going to be as easy as this guy thinks it is or I'm totally missing something. If you sold the spoilers and made a standard 50% profit (sans any S&H) you're looking at a $345 cost to a buyer. At 20% that's $68/spoiler. Times 10 plus the money you give him up front for development of the mold he's looking at a *whopping*...$2980. Still doesn't include material costs and labor. That's a helluva lot of time and energy for a very minimal reward.

If they are indeed this good then what's preventing you from using the OEM SC/T wing and modifying it for a mold? The brackets for the concept SC/T spoiler do not line up with stock mounting points so they would have to be re-engineered unless you're expecting people to find spoilerless trunks to use.

Like I said, kudos to you and them if you could get it done for that cheap but I'm pretty skeptical. There are tons of other similar looking spoilers that you could use up top and create the pedestals based on images to achieve the same affect if you really wanted to get this done.
I understand were you're coming from. It wont happen regardless though. BTW I like you're idea of turning a OEM SC/T into concept since the top part is basically the same and it just needs to be a little taller and a few inches wider on the sides. I should bring it up to him and show him some photos.
StormTec2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #163
young gun
ON THAT WORK GRIND

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTec2.0 View Post
I understand were you're coming from. It wont happen regardless though. BTW I like you're idea of turning a OEM SC/T into concept since the top part is basically the same and it just needs to be a little taller and a few inches wider on the sides. I should bring it up to him and show him some photos.

Also the ends of the spoiler have more of an arc downward and thin out...

2008 - Kawasaki Ninja 250r - Slip on exhaust, K&N, Jetted, Sprockets, Lowered and the Girlfriend's now

1984 - Honda Nighthawk 700s - Oldest, quickest and quietess
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spoiler, trunk