GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #1
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
How do I fix these rims?

I like the look of these rims, and think they look good on the older body style trucks

But, the clearcoat is peeling. I'm just wanting to I guess sand them down and have silver wheels, which should happen if I take a high grit paper to them, right?
Do I need to re-clear them? Can I leave them just sanded?

This is a helluva deal, and I don't need the tires, I'll buy some more street oriented tires than what I've got now, I just want the rims, but they look like arse and I'll want to fix them.

They're dirt cheap on the ol' CL.

Hep me, hep me pees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
geldartb
With the quickness

AKA: Brendan
Vehicle: 03 Outback H6
geldartb has made plenty of valid pointsgeldartb has made plenty of valid points
me personally i'd just sand them down and paint them..throw some clear on afterwards or the brake dust will take the paint off..basically just need to rough it up to give the paint something to stick to.

my winter wheels for the outback. i brushed on some flat black rustoleum and you can't even tell..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMindz View Post
Well you shouldn't have left your laptop exposed when there was a chance of golden showers...
geldartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
you know, painting them silver never dawned on me that way I could do something with the centers too. the whole bowtie on a gmc will surely upset someone.

you the man!
Quote:
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
geldartb
With the quickness

geldartb has made plenty of valid pointsgeldartb has made plenty of valid points
find a color that matches somewhat.. try that duplicolor wheel coating.. it's in a spray can and they have a clear to put on top..

i've used it several times before and never had an issue

http://duplicolor.com/product/wheel-coating

Quote:
Well you shouldn't have left your laptop exposed when there was a chance of golden showers...
Old 01-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
geldartb
With the quickness

post up what you end up with..FYI from personal experience you need the clear on top.. my first car i used this on the wheels but didn't have enough time to clear it..needless to say the brake dust in a sense removed the paint when i washed it.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

I tried to get up and get them before the big ice storm (that's glazed us over, and that was all, not even enough to really measure) got here. The back lip of one is bent, and spending time at the "GreatYear", I know how that is going to work out for me, so I passed. But, I know what to do for later should I find another set like that. Maybe it's off to eBay
Quote:
Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #7
geldartb
With the quickness

if you still really want some try here. the wheels i had on the other outback i had i got from a yard off here. the place even delivered them. some yards have a website setup so you can order crap off of them like amazon.
http://car-part.com/

sucks they were crap. i really hate people who waste my time.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

I hadn't thought about them either.. I'm just thinking it's in my best interest to get the big soft AT's off that truck during warmer weather, I think I can gain some MPG with better street tires, and I don't want to dismount and remount all the time.
Quote: