GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 11-07-2008, 03:20 PM   #81
Upshift
GAGT - Member

AKA: Justin
Vehicle: 2003 Alero GL V6
Upshift Gettin' there
Question

The current brand of tires my parents shoved on their alero are Arctic claws

my dad believes they are winter tires, and it does have the mountain and snowflake logo, but theres the M+S designation on em... all seasons with winter designation? or actual winter tires>?
Upshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #82
GAGT 2 Point 0
GAGT - Member

AKA: M.
Vehicle: 2001 GT 4 door
GAGT 2 Point 0 Gettin' there
Brand:BF Goodrich
Model:g-force Super Sport A/S (ultra high performance all seasons)
Size:225/50/16
Price Paid:caught them on sale at Tirerack.com for $82/tire. Regular price $118/tire.
Accompanying suspension mods:Eibach springs, KYB GR2 struts, stb's front and rear, Next Level rear sway bar with ES bushings.
Comments:I have been running Yokohama Avid V4's for the last 3 years or so. I've used Yoko Avids before and liked them on another car. They did well enough for the price I paid for them a few years ago, which was 80 a tire. Only complaint was the sidewalls flexed a little too much and had a slight mushy feel when pushed. Also made the front tires look like they were always low on air because of sidewall squat. When it came time to replace them, the price had crept to 99 a tire.

So I found these newer g-force Super Sport A/S's on sale at Tirerack for $82 a tire. They've been on the market for about 10 months to a year. Compared them to the leading tire closest in price, which was the Yokos, and according to data they beat them in every catagory. So I though it over for the night, went back the next day to Tirerack.com and the sale was over! Just like that! Never fear, I called Tirerack and the representative gave me the sale price from the day before. So I hopped on it and got these tires shipped out. Love TR's customer service btw.

Looks:The tread pattern is very aggressive with plenty of siping and channels for water flow and good tread blocks for traction and snow. Very sharp pattern. The sidewall is my only let down. I prefer the look of tires such as my Yokohamas or stock Goodyear RS-A's. Or Bridgestone Potenzas. The BF Goodrichs are somewhat understated and overly simple on the sidewall design. Not quite as sharp looking as I would want, so I would only give them a 8 in the looks department.

Performance:I knew as soon as I drove the car away from the shop that these were going to be fun tires. The ride is taunt without being jarring. Its firm going around corners and managed to take some of the slop and body roll out of turns. They don't seem to ever mush out under load and always maintain composure. No squealing going around corners where my Yokos would scream like a stuck pig, even when new. The g-forces feel like they always maintain a sure and level footing. They never fight you or make you think you're going too far. They are always ready to do exactly what you ask. Dry traction is excellent. Wet traction so far seems great. I haven't tested them in snow yet, but it's Ohio and I know it's coming. Braking is good, causing the ABS to kick in earlier then I'd have thought. All around, I have nothing bad to report about the performance of this tire so far. So far, 10 out of 10. We'll see how many miles I get out of them. I got about 33,000 out of the Yokohama Avid V4s.

Value:I admit that the main reason I went with these tires was because of the promotional sale of all BF Goodrich tires at Tirerack. With a regular price of $118 a tire, I'm not sure how much value is lost, but at $82 I feel like I got a real steal, stepping up a catagory level without having to pay the extra cost, or even the cost to maintain my status quo (Yoko@99). Value for what I paid: 10.

Total score- 28 out of 30.

Last edited by GAGT 2 Point 0; 11-30-2008 at 11:12 AM.
GAGT 2 Point 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:51 PM   #83
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member

Michelin Pilot Super Sport - 2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS Sedan - Loves Park, IL
Driving Style: Fast and Aggressive - Driving Condition: Combined Highway/City
Reviewer's Overall Rating: 9.5 out of 10
Size: 225/45ZR17 94Y
Comments: The best summer-only tire out there. Period.
Built 3400/3500 V6 hybrid, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, a few suspension and brake bits, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote